Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which would you put your money on?
Top spec model but a segment lower 127 57.99%
Base model but a segment higher 92 42.01%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th May 2007, 15:50   #16

I would say that we need to talk specifics in terms of which two models we are comparing to make a better decision. Also, the segment of the car also holds. For example, the Logan lower segment is in the same price bracket as the Swift highest segment. But if someone is looking primarily for boot space and extra space etc then Logan makes sense. Generally speaking, yes, highest version of the lower segment makes sense.
raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 16:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

I always prefer the higher end model, Thats precise the reason I dropped my idea of a lower end zen compared to an higher end Alto (That was a different story that I was almost freezing on Baleno on stepping into Bimal Showroom to check out Alto )

But ya I always prefer the highest model of a car under my budget....

akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 16:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the correction of the price point in that example GTO. However, as mentioned, it was simply an example. You have given your opinion on the Spark vs Swift. However, things get a lot more complicated when you look at the model blurs of vehicles of the same manufacturer such as Hyundai and the Santro and Getz Prime. Both have the same engine in this scenario, however the difference in equipment levels is drastic.

And adding power window's later means tampering with the wiring, which means your warranty will not hold good (unless the A.S.S. carries out such work).

But, this poll is put up exactly for this. To get an idea of the general trend (atleast from the small community of car buyers we represent).

Personally, I would rather get a well speced car from the factory even if it means settling for a smaller car. Unless ofcourse I really need the extra space of a larger vehicle.

However, this thought process is valid only upto a particular price point. About, say 7 lakhs, every car comes with the basic features, and then we run into problems such as aseem has mentioned below - a fully loaded Honda City Vtec, or a base Corolla.

Its interesting studying the psychology of the market!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

too generic and can be decided only in a case to case scenario.

For time being fully loaded lower segment based on my decision of Swift D Vdi against Fiesta, Aveo etc etc

And yes i do like stuff to come factory fitted and not bother with retro fitting stuff, exception would be some cosmetics and ice, so always will prefer higher end model.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:15   #20

Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would go for a top spec model but a segment lower. Normally.
But for me must have features now are "Power windows". Which come in most C class cars.
So if I was buying a small car I would choose the top spec model, but in midsize land I would be choosing the bottom end model or a middle end model.
I second what tsk1979 has said....... in every respect.
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 17:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would go for a Top spec model but a segment lower because doing so i would atleast have the best model of the car with all the features.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 18:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Depends on the segment i would be looking at.
A base Optra with makes much much more sense the the top of the line NHC ZX GXi. (The VTEC is more expensive than the base model of the Optra).
However, i would also prefer a top of the line Santro to a base Getz.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 18:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Top spec, but a segment lower for me. In the long run this is what gives better return on the money (not resale-wise, but happiness-wise).
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 19:01   #24

If it is between WagonR VXi and Swift LXi -> Swift hands down.
But say if it is between Palio1.6 and an Esteem -> It would be Palio for me.

So cant really pin point. But I think the former choice will do in most of the cases.
Who the hell needs power windows if i get a bigger engine at the same price. Windows dont drive the car, but the engine does... So..

Just one more correction.. If the higher and cheaper comparison is like this-
Swift VXi/ZXi with ABS +/- Airbags and say a Baleno LXi -> Swift for me. Safety first.

Last edited by ess_a : 5th May 2007 at 19:05.
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 19:08   #25

Base model of a higher spec car makes sense to me. The goodies you would get in a top end version can always be added aftermarket.

gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 19:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Rtech, would you believe it I was thinking of a poll on similar lines,but..

Anyways what happens if the smaller segment car is even more powerful than the higher segment car,case in point the ford fusion vs the ford fiesta 1.4

I think another major factor influencing buyers is Brand.Which company both the cars belong to makes a lot of difference.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 19:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

the engineering and inherent product benefits matter a lot more to me..
Bingo. Ditto. It's the car, not the cost. From the given examples, here are my choices...

1) Swift Vs Spark- Swift.
2) Getz Vs Santro- Getz.
3) Optra Vs Corolla- Corolla.
4) NHC Vs Corolla- Corolla.

And so on....but mind, this is ONLY from the driver's perspective...IMHO, family choices could, obviously, swing the other way round...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 20:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

I prefer a base model of a higher segment!

Thatz why I bought a Palio 1.2 ELPS over Alto Vxi
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 21:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Like Jaggu said depends entirely on a case-to-case basis. I don't care much for the toys but the engine/gearbox etc. matters.

Like when I went to decide for a new car the choice was either the OHC 1.5 or VTEC. Had discarded the Corolla/Octavia because I didn't like them at all. After driving the VTEC compared to the 1.5 and also seeing the extra equipment on offer (Ok, only Alloys & Spoiler mainly!!) fell for it! Even though it was the most expensive of the lot (The OHC range).

Normally though, I usually pick up the model just below the top model so that I can customise the car with my personal preferences with the saved money.

Last edited by iraghava : 5th May 2007 at 21:30.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 23:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Interesting poll. Actually I was planning write something on these lines.

For me, highest variant I can buy with my money.
For my dad, its the lowest variant of the highest segment car. Later he would add the missing features and so the car would be as good as the highend variant.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote