Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which would you put your money on?
Top spec model but a segment lower 127 57.99%
Base model but a segment higher 92 42.01%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th March 2010, 21:32   #61
BHPian

Though I've chosen base model of the higher, a more appropriate option to gauge my choice would be 'middle option of the higher'.

I'm willing to pay a slight premium, but I want the bare essentials. In this day and age, that means the holy trio of AC+Power Steering+Power windows
Pyrotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 11:23   #62
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Two aspects that are overlooked while buying a car.

When you decide to buy a car, there are many factors that influence your buy. But I wanted to touch up on 2 aspects which are probably over looked.
When you decide to buy a car, do you always make up your mind as to what variant of the car that you need to buy? I ask this question because of the numerous options that are available in the market right now and for every 40-50k, there is an option. So would you prefer to buy the top end variant of a lower segment car, or an entry level / mid variant of a car which could be one segment higher, but may not be fully loaded. I went through this same dilemma and even now I’m not 100% sure that my decision was right. I initially wanted to buy a swift VDI wit ABS and thought of probably spending 40-50k on music system, new tyres, Alloys etc. But then I opted for the Dzire VDI which was about 70k more and compromised on the lack of ABS and did not upgrade to alloys, new tyres etc. Yes, the car is much more practical with a huge boot, but at times I wish I had ABS and alloys etc. The same logic applies to many buyers now. Instead of a fully loaded I10, you could buy an entry level swift or even an i20. So what is that you look for features or the better car?
The second aspect that I would like to discuss is the “price band width” of a car. Some cars have very low entry price points, but then their top end variants are highly priced too. This creates a very broad price band for that car. But does this play a role in re-sale value? For example, when the fabia was launched, the entry level petrol variant costed about 6.5 OTR Bangalore, whereas the top end diesel used to priced at 9.1 lakhs OTR Bangalore. So if you went out and bought that top end model, weren’t you actually buying a car that is perceived to be a lower priced car, but paid heavily for the features? So when it comes to re-sale, the fabia will always be perceived as a premium hatchback and the top end model will take a big hit as features do not matter so much during re-sale. I think the same applies now to the Etios as well. It has a very low entry level price point, but the top end seems to be priced at par with say a SX4 or a Verna, whereas it is actually not in this league. So do you consider this aspect while buying a car?

Last edited by motorworks : 19th May 2011 at 11:24. Reason: font.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:02   #63
BHPian

Default Re: Two aspects that are overlooked while buying a car.

You have stated some very realistic facts about car purchase in India. For me, 2 factors determine the purchase, type of use (city\highway) & duration of ownership.
Take my classic example:
1) Decided to purchase the feature & safety rich Fabia 1.6 in Mar at 6.80 odd on-road Pune.
2) but then, Ford launches the Fiesta Classic LXI at 6.40 on-road. Basic model, only pwr steering, pwr windows, a/c, & that beautiful 1.6 engine, but the Indian mentality kicked in - "SEDAN" & I would be saving 40k over the Fabia which is only a hatchback.
I thought I would use the 40k saved to add on a music system, alloys etc etc. But, when I looked backed, I was paying 40k more for the Fabia for factory fitted stuff like ABS, airbags, alloys, music system, remote locking, driver seat height adjust, reach & rake steering, etc etc, which amounted to approx more than a lakh. Overall, I did not want to miss out of the safety features on my highway runs.
I cancelled the Fiesta booking & booked the Fabia.....again....only this time to really purchase it. I plan to keep the car for atleast 5yrs.

Last edited by mb_jg : 19th May 2011 at 12:16.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

In some case the higher variant is a better proposition as the extras cost more if installed later (including the loading of tax, insurance etc), this was the case when I got the Alto K10 Vxi. At other times it is better to my the lower variant and add what you want. This is especially true if you do not want some of the extras offered in a higher variant. In my case these are - Alloys, Music system, steering controls, as I like to get my own.

In some case you cannot get a feature in the after market - ABS, then you go for the higher variant.

As far as going for a lower specked higher segment, it makes little sense to me as I want a full package more than a bigger vehicle.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

@ OP,

I was in the same boat when we bought our Dzire Vdi. My dad was neutral, he left me to choose. It was a tug of war between me vs mom and uncle. I always put safety above comfort and everythin else. I was rooting for the Swift VDI ABS while mom and uncle were of the opinion that a few extra grand would fetch a sedan (if you call Dzire a sedan). Finally, what tilted the scales in Dzire's favour is the boot and the rear seat recline (remember that the recline is more than that of the swift).

As for going for the VDi variant is concerned, the top end was expensive and it almost bordered on SX4's teritory. If I was to consider the ZDi variant, at the back of my mind, I would always think about SX4.Montery consideration and the mind game eventually led me to finalize VDi variant.
sachinj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:29   #66
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Cheapest of the higher or costliest of the lower?

Note from mod. Threads merged
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:46   #67
BHPian

Guys,

I generally prefer the bottom end car of a segment higher than the highest spec car from a segment lower as value Engineering more than features.

A practical problem which I will face a few months from now will be :

Whether to buy:

1. Highest end Vento TDI-->Highline.
OR
2. Lowest end Jetta/Fluence/Laura TDI.

Tough call, ain't it? Not the right thread to ask but any quick suggestions?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 19th May 2011 at 12:47.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 14:01   #68
BHPian

The Laura Ambiente is any day better. The base model has all the necessary features including airbags. But again, the price difference between Vento Highline and Laura Ambiente is around 3.5 lakhs. So your budget should be the only factor influencing this decision.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 14:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I thought I would use the 40k saved to add on a music system, alloys etc etc. But, when I looked backed, I was paying 40k more for the Fabia for factory fitted stuff like ABS, airbags, alloys, music system, remote locking, driver seat height adjust, reach & rake steering, etc etc, which amounted to approx more than a lakh. Overall, I did not want to miss out of the safety features on my highway runs.
I cancelled the Fiesta booking & booked the Fabia.....again....only this time to really purchase it. I plan to keep the car for atleast 5yrs.
Truly said, we usually don't look at the other side when going for a segment higher than we originally started with.
hey, so finally you booked (already got?) Fabia 1.6, CB right? Congrats buddy, hoping to see a brand new ownership thread soon.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 14:46   #70
BHPian

Thanks buddy, that will truly be a relief. Yep, I got the C Beige color. The way the banks function nowadays is a joke, my home loan was processed in just 2 days, they take longer for a car loan!!!!
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 18:27   #71
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I'm some how inclined to pick the better car though. I dont have a great inclination towards features such as Alloys, Climate control, Sun roof etc. I would rather buy a mid level variant of a higher segment car.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 23:02   #72
BHPian

I am not even a power windows fan, obviously its the next segment for me.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 18:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

It is always features before the size or class of vehicle.

The must have features in the next ride are-

Power Steering
Power Windows
ABS
Front Airbags
4 WD (optional)
HVAC

Since some or most of these come in the highest version, it would be the costliest of the lower.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote