Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th July 2007, 15:32   #496
Senior - BHPian

An example to show wiper controls on the right cost a bomb :-)
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 18:40   #497
BHPian

Guys

You know what I just TDed the diesel, and according to my TD experience I feel they have a sure shot winner at hand. These were my observations.

1. Looks : I will rate it as not bad, may be not very good, but if you are comparing with an Indigo, I would rate it at par, Verna yes is slightly better looking and Fiesta is definetaly the best looking diesel.

2. Engine & Driving experience : Excellent will rate it below Verna at par with Fiesta and far better than the Indigo. The acceleration is fantastic (unlike a bullock cart that an Indigo is) the suspension is superb and the Ground clearance is a fantastic 178, it tool all the pot holes with aplomb.

3. Fit and Finish inside, I would rate it at par with Verna & Fiesta and better than Indigo. Yes there are some odd things like the power window switch and the wiper.

4. Pricing is excellent more or less same as an Indigo and some 2 lakhs cheaper than the Fiesta and the Verna.

I cant think of any reason why the car will not do well except for the rear but one can always play with it, I remember seeing some excellently modded Logan with a rear spoiler in one of the threads. may be one can spend an extra 25K and get that done.

Bye for now
ranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 18:53   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
2. Engine & Driving experience : Excellent will rate it below Verna at par with Fiesta and far better than the Indigo. The acceleration is fantastic (unlike a bullock cart that an Indigo is) the suspension is superb and the Ground clearance is a fantastic 178, it tool all the pot holes with aplomb.
I would diagree with you here. Although the luggability of the engine is good and it can purr in a higher gear at slow speeds, performance is bland just like the engine. Its lazy even when its into its powerband, a press on the pedal wont give you an immediate stepup in speed. Besides the engine is noisy at anything over 2500 rpm, lack of sound deadening and cost cutting to be blamed.

Quote:
3. Fit and Finish inside, I would rate it at par with Verna & Fiesta and better than Indigo. Yes there are some odd things like the power window switch and the wiper.
You cant even compare it to the fiesta and verna. Its better than Indigo in some ways but not all the way. Have you seen the bumper, especially the front on a logan?

Quote:
4. Pricing is excellent more or less same as an Indigo and some 2 lakhs cheaper than the Fiesta and the Verna.
Yes around 2 lakhs cheaper if you compares the base diesel logan with a top end fiesta or a verna which isnt fair!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 19:31   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Conversation with my dad over the weekend

Dad: I heard the Mahindra guys have introduced a new car...Logan or something. I am hearing good things about it.
Me: , er yeah its a rugged car like Indigo, why?
Dad: I am thinking of it. It'll be a good office car
Me: but its not stylish, dosent look good.
Dad: Why, whats wrong with it?
Me:
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 20:45   #500
BANNED

The new Mahindra-Renault showroom is just going to be opened here. Final stages of work going on.

Now, There will be some lot of Logans doing it's round here in this part of the world.

It is indeed not worth the price yet. I want to see a drop in price and I will be happy with the car.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 21:24   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
It is indeed not worth the price yet. I want to see a drop in price and I will be happy with the car.

Now, that is called constructive criticism. Yes, it is a pricey car for what it offers, but in no way is it a bad car. I would certainly rate it a lot lot higher than the Indigo (i have test driven both).
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 17:32   #502
Senior - BHPian

The Logan Diesel's direct competitor is Indigo Dicor. It's base variant at 5.7L ex showroom noida is 50k more expensive than the Indigo's base variant. I've driven both and I'll say the former is better (completely unbiased view here). Many people here may disagree.. but the logan outscores the indigo in every department except the price.
The fiesta diesel starts at 6.9L and Verna diesel at 7.5L. Both are clearly a segment above. I can't understand why are we comparing Logan with cars that belong to a completely different segment?? Many have not even seen a Logan leave aside sitting in one....and have already given their verdict. a little unfair i'll say.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 19:01   #503
Senior - BHPian

You are right ashutoshb, Logan is better than Indigo except for price.

I agree your point we can't compare Logan with Verna/Fiesta but according to me Logan is more paractical car compared with other cars 1 segment above it.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 09:44   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I can't understand why are we comparing Logan with cars that belong to a completely different segment??
I guess because thats the way M&M have positioned it, and also priced it.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 09:58   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw atleast 3-4 Logans during the weekend. Looks like it is catching on.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 11:21   #506
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine who visited the Mahindra showroom told that the sales guys dont compare the Logan with Indigo at all, they go all the way upto Fiesta, Verna and even Corolla, emphasizing on the interior space, the big boot, its ride quality, beige interiors and so on! So a lot of people do get brainwashed.
That is not to say that Logan is not a good car. Infact i personally rate it above Indigo, but to compare it with the likes of Corolla is just taking the ignorant customer for a ride.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:05   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The new Mahindra-Renault showroom is just going to be opened here. Final stages of work going on.

Now, There will be some lot of Logans doing it's round here in this part of the world.

Zak, where is the new showroom? I havent seen one.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:20   #508
Senior - BHPian

saw the first ever Logan in Ahmedabad yesterday. Have to say it looks good from the rear in white.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 14:31   #509
Senior - BHPian

You are wrong---they've changed the wiper controls with the WagonR. A few days after I bought one 6 years ago, it started pouring cats n dogs. I immediately reached out for the wiper controls and tried to turn the knob (like in the Esteem or 800). To my surprise, there was nothing to turn !!
After stopping on the roadside and some experimenting, I realised what needed to be done.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 22:27   #510
Senior - BHPian

bt dat logan is awesummmm!!!! My friend's statement and its from a lady!! seems like the car is impressing the fairer sex as well!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote