Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: NHC with ABS/Airbags are similar prices which would you choose
SX4 146 49.66%
NHC 148 50.34%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th September 2007, 11:20   #241
Senior - BHPian

Well Aseem its not a rumour, Honda indeed is coming up with ABS/Airbags finally. Hellspawn he was asking about the NHC not Swift.

Quote:
maruti is planning to discontinue zxi variant of its petrol model.
This will be the saddest day for Indian automobiles and will prevent other players from launching safety oriented cars. It will be FE triumphing over safety.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:20   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
This will be the saddest day for Indian automobiles and will prevent other players from launching safety oriented cars. It will be FE triumphing over safety.
How?

SX4 engine is not fuel efficient. But that has nothing to do with ZXI version...

Adding safety features has no impact on FE IMHO.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:45   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How?

SX4 engine is not fuel efficient. But that has nothing to do with ZXI version...

Adding safety features has no impact on FE IMHO.
I wasnot talking about the SX4 but about people who are buying the Swift Zxi, opting for the Vdi and if MUL discontinues the ZXi Swift as people paying that much money opt for a VDi
Old 6th September 2007, 13:02   #244
Senior - BHPian

Oh...sorry. I mixed up with SX4 ZXI.

BTW, that shows - people like me don't even remember that Swift has a ZXI version :-)

And I think people are opting for VDi for good reasons - torque, FE, smooth gear-shift. And they offer ABS as an option on VDi. So what's the problem with safety as well?
Old 6th September 2007, 15:04   #245
Senior - BHPian

I just spoke with my Dealer
By October Honda Vtec+ is going to release with ABS and AirBags.
May be priced increase by 60K
Within 10 Days they will know the Exact price of VTEC+ with AirBags and ABS.
Exisiting models Exi,Gxi,Vtec remains same and there's no changes in Exterior as well as interiors.
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 16:25   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
SX4 engine is not fuel efficient.
I think I have seen owners quoting like 11kmpl (city driving with AC) on the forum. Which IMO is pretty good when compared to its peers that weigh lesser than its 1.2tons.

Ofcourse, compared to the NHC's 13kmpl, it is inefficient, but comparing the non-Vtec NHC to the SX4 is a bit of a stretch, given the difference in weight, power etc.

Quote:
So what's the problem with safety as well?
No airbags on the VDi.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 16:36   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I just spoke with my Dealer
By October Honda Vtec+ is going to release with ABS and AirBags.
May be priced increase by 60K
60K !!! If they do hike it by that much they should also add on wider rubber.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 16:53   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I think I have seen owners quoting like 11kmpl (city driving with AC) on the forum. Which IMO is pretty good when compared to its peers that weigh lesser than its 1.2tons.

Ofcourse, compared to the NHC's 13kmpl, it is inefficient, but comparing the non-Vtec NHC to the SX4 is a bit of a stretch, given the difference in weight, power etc.

No airbags on the VDi.

No alloys on VDi either...:-(
Old 6th September 2007, 21:15   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No alloys on VDi either...:-(
I think that is expected, given that the Vxi does not come with alloys either.

BTW, I was replying to your post about why safety is an issue with the VDi. I am not sure if alloys do anything for safety. AFAIK, they add looks to the car, thats about it.
Old 6th September 2007, 21:18   #250
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes...I mentioned alloys as one of those good things Zxi has and that Swift D has lost....nothing to do with safety...sorry for the digression.
Old 6th September 2007, 21:40   #251
BHPian

Karthik is right. I have spoken with the dealer and some of my friends in car trade too. The v-tec with ABS and airbags would be approximately 60K more, which would make it as costlier than the Cedia.
One problem with airbags in general is, once they are deployed then quite a sum has to be spent in getting new ones installed. And if the sensors are overly sensitive, on Indian roads, a large pothole can make the airbags inflate. I am not sure if they are tweaked to Indian road conditions. Otherwise it could be a serious practical problem.
wheelsNsqueals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 11:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Is airbags deployment and then subsequent replacement covered by insurance?
Old 7th September 2007, 12:31   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals
One problem with airbags in general is, once they are deployed then quite a sum has to be spent in getting new ones installed.
If they get deployed by mistake (ie. not during an accident), you have a point about the cost. But if it is deployed when it is intended to, I would rather pay the 20K odd and move on happy that I am still alive due to it, instead of worrying about money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals
And if the sensors are overly sensitive, on Indian roads, a large pothole can make the airbags inflate. I am not sure if they are tweaked to Indian road conditions. Otherwise it could be a serious practical problem.
I also used to think like this. But the technology is not as simple as that. If it were so, then given our bad roads, you should be seeing drivers all around with airbags deployed, which is not the case.

As I read and understood, airbags are deployed based on various params like rate of deceleration, magnitude of impact, angle of impact etc etc. So, just because you hit a pothole, does not mean the airbag will be deployed. Heck, I dont think it will deploy even for the usual bumper scrapers that we get into in the city.
Old 7th September 2007, 12:33   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Is airbags deployment and then subsequent replacement covered by insurance?
They cover only 50%

Quote:
Heck, I dont think it will deploy even for the usual bumper scrapers that we get into in the city.
Airbags have impact sensors and when they detect a crash intensity more then just scrapes or bumps they deploy.

Quote:
I would rather pay the 20K odd and move on happy that I am still alive due to it, instead of worrying about money.
SB, sadly its not just 20k what you have to shell out, more like 70-80k, depending on car to car. Since once airbag deploys, you need to change dashboard, steering wheel, new airbags, seat belts and what not and all this costs around 1.4L, Insurance covers just 50%

Last edited by BUSA : 7th September 2007 at 12:42.
Old 7th September 2007, 12:42   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If they get deployed by mistake (ie. not during an accident), you have a point about the cost. But if it is deployed when it is intended to, I would rather pay the 20K odd and move on happy that I am still alive due to it, instead of worrying about money.

I also used to think like this. But the technology is not as simple as that. If it were so, then given our bad roads, you should be seeing drivers all around with airbags deployed, which is not the case.

As I read and understood, airbags are deployed based on various params like rate of deceleration, magnitude of impact, angle of impact etc etc. So, just because you hit a pothole, does not mean the airbag will be deployed. Heck, I dont think it will deploy even for the usual bumper scrapers that we get into in the city.
Well said. It's always better to pay for the airbag rather than the hospital bills.

Yeah airbags will not deploy due to potholes. It deploys only at a certain decelaration rate due to collision.
prskumar is offline   Reply With Quote