Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: If in the market for a hatch, would you buy the Palio Stile 1.1?
Yes 12 23.53%
No 39 76.47%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 14:34   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 838 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Lol... ok about "why" buy...... hmmmm could because of the following:
1. Space
2. Build quality
3. new design and looks
4. Better fuel economy
5. Value for Money
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
A quick look into it.
WHY BUY?
1. Space (Better/equal options exist)
2. Build quality (I don't want to comment on that! Do you mean heaviness?)
3. new design and looks (Agree, but it doesn't appeal to many and what about the interior design??)
4. Better fuel economy (You need to read the first post of this thread repeatedly!)
Missed one: 'doors shut with a reassuring thud'
msdivy is online now  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:34   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
precisely my point. back up to page 2 or 3 and check it out.

I respect your opinion. But I am also inclined to believe that the Swift continues to sell on the back of aggressive and savvy marketing. I mean even look at the diesel Swift. MUL is laughing all the way to the bank, selling a car, whose engine they are sourcing from a rival. Hats off to MUL marketing. Brilliantly misleading (IMO) and repetetive advertising does have its benefits, I guess.
Hey, the diesel practically sold itself - it dinn need any ads. I dont know what's misleading here; have they claimed they invented the engine? and why doesnt the rival sell their own precious cars with the same engine?
ballkey is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:36   #93
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels
1. Ok, now tell me, thread started has compared Santro and Palio, do you think Santro is as spacious as Palio... you must be kidding...
The thread also indicates a certain INDICA which you conveniently seem to have missed out on.

Quote:
Better fuel economy: Compared Santro,.. could be.. compared to swaift, U-VA, Getz prime: I dont agree..
swift, U-VA aren't in the comparison. You seemed to have again conveniently missed out spark/estilo/wagonr/indica yet again. The cars the stile should be compared with.

Quote:
Expensive to maintain: Compared to Santro could be.. compared to Swift... Swift has costly spares than Palio...
Do I need to repeat the sentence again?

Somehow I am noticing that most of you are conveniently not responding to my posts. While we are at this where is steeroid? The ultimate FIAT lover .

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th May 2007 at 14:46.
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:38   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,577
Thanked: 816 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
precisely my point. back up to page 2 or 3 and check it out....

MUL is laughing all the way to the bank, selling a car, whose engine they are sourcing from a rival. Hats off to MUL marketing. Brilliantly misleading (IMO) and repetetive advertising does have its benefits, I guess.

e they are commanding a premium, are they ???
Come on guys. No swift owner jumps up and down when people say it has some cheap/thin plastics inside and some sounds emanate from them.
Stop bragging about a Fiat engine. I had mentioned earlier that until recently BMW Mini had a engine developed with Chrysler. Its called joint ventures and licensing. Fiesta's engine is developed with Peugeot.

World over automakers are trying to shed weight of their cars and you brag about the weight that car has. All cars have some deficiencies. Somehow Fiats have the ones that are more important to customers.

Not to throw some cold water on people expecting a Grande Punto and Linea to change everything, they are the LAST in customer surveys in Europe, really LAST.

Last edited by srishiva : 24th May 2007 at 14:39. Reason: adding some more
srishiva is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:42   #95
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Regarding interior space, Indica is equal and according to many, more comfortable. I don't think you have read the first post of this thread properly. I insist you do it.

Nice to know you agree about the design.

Look at the price bracket and the segment the car is sold. It does compare to Santro etc.. more than to Swift and the likes. Ok, maybe Getz Prime 1.1! But sit in that car once and you will understand how better it is compared the stile.

We are talking about the Stile 1.1 brakes and not about your car's brakes.

Look at the overall maintenance costs and the FIAT will be higher than Swift. We have been experiencing it with our Petra and seen many others complain about their Palios.

Just by crossing 1L kms, does it prove that a car is very much reliable? Maybe!
speedzak is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:44   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 538
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Then why it aint selling ?
excellent question...and I wonder about too. In fact I have raised the same question to the following car makers.

Ford : Fusion , Mondeo
Hyundai : Elantra , new Sonata and yes, the Getz
GM / Chevrolet : Aveo, Forrester

I will revert immediately after I hear from them

Jokes apart, I don't think the Getz Prime or the Chevy UVA are exactly setting the sales charts on fire. Sure they might look good as compared to the Stile, but then even even Mrs. David Beckham looks good when compared to FIAT's sales figures.
hell_rider is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:44   #97
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,650
Thanked: 2,010 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had commented recently in the original Palio Stile thread that it does a 0 - 100 in 20.xx seconds! Man, thats slower than an Indica Turbo.
Actually the Indica Turbo clocks 0-100 in some 15.4 seconds or so if I am not wrong. Thats way faster than 20.xx maannn.
Zappo is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:46   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
By the looks of it seems you are equally biased. Saying "owners of japanese cars". Do you mean to say "owners of italian cars" dont have the right to post their views about jap cars? Or non-fiat owners should not mention the word FIAT? Or post any criticism?
It was sarcastic comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If you notice the other cars seem to be selling quite well. Infact very well, while the palio is not. No one would want to stop manufacturing something that is selling well. Not even you if you were heading such a company. I am surprised that MUL infact did phase out the good old zen & baleno.
What makes you think that a Palio with a 1.3 MJD won't sell if priced reasonably? Will you still crib the platform is old and the interiors are crap and that FIAT should discontinue it altogether. The engine isn't great, granted... but that not the reason to rubbish the car altogether, this is my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Why dont you "italian car owners" start a thread bashing (so you think of this thread too) the santro & wagonr. We will be glad to post our views and unbiased at that. Maybe even take things with a pinch of salt unlike...
I draw lines, positive criticism is OK and not "for the sake of it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Do lurk around other threads too where we are cursing maruti for this injustice. Infact, almost every thread mentioning the SX4 comes with why didnt they launch it with VVT? Maybe you just haven't had the time to read other threads. Or maybe you guys read threads which only have a mention of FIAT in them.
If you read the very same thread you will see me defending the overall package that SX4 offers. I am not rubbishing one company and praising another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If yes, why doesn't Fiat change the trend just like MUL is beginning to with the launch of the SX4?
Because they have to sell real cars now... not the outdated japanese stuff that they used to sell us as the most fuel efficient. They are the same poeple who launched Baleno at 8 lakhs at one time. Things change, people change, policies change... maybe FIAT will change too.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:53   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 538
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
swift, U-VA aren't in the comparison.
and why is that so ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
You seemed to have again conveniently missed out spark/estilo/wagonr/indica yet again. The cars the stile should be compared with.
and why is that so ?? why should it be compared with far smaller cars ?? indica yes, fair enough. but spark , estilo, wagonr ???

so are we just randomly dispensing with class/segment demarcations now ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Somehow I am noticing that most of you are conveniently not responding to my posts.
there. I've responded.
hell_rider is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:54   #100
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
maybe FIAT will change too.
It's too late already. Ain't it?
As they say: Better late than never.
speedzak is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:55   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
World over automakers are trying to shed weight of their cars and you brag about the weight that car has. All cars have some deficiencies. Somehow Fiats have the ones that are more important to customers.
Dude, have a look around, all the "real" hatches weigh within 50 kgs of each other.. Swift and Getz included.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 14:59   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 538
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Hey, the diesel practically sold itself - it dinn need any ads. I dont know what's misleading here; have they claimed they invented the engine? and why doesnt the rival sell their own precious cars with the same engine?
i am referring to the ad where they say
"The car won here, the car won there and so on..."...and then project it as the same car that is now available in india. which in fact is not. its a different spec with a different set of goodies.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th May 2007 at 15:15. Reason: Bad example
hell_rider is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 15:04   #103
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It was sarcastic comment.
It sounded more of an insult actually. But no issues.

Quote:
What makes you think that a Palio with a 1.3 MJD won't sell if priced reasonably? Will you still crib the platform is old and the interiors are crap and that FIAT should discontinue it altogether. The engine isn't great, granted... but that not the reason to rubbish the car altogether, this is my point.
You seemed to have missed my point where I did say with the 1.3MJD engine the palio will indeed sell really well. Which you somehow seemed to have missed out on. Read my very next paragraph.

Quote:
I draw lines, positive criticism is OK and not "for the sake of it".
Its the way you look at it. I see nothing wrong with the thread. And no I haven't gotten into this FIAT/Anti FIAT fight ever. I hope you are aware of that.

Quote:
If you read the very same thread you will see me defending the overall package that SX4 offers. I am not rubbishing one company and praising another.
Yes, I agree with you. No one is rubbishing a company here. All I want to know is the reason why you would choose a Stile 1.1. Not how santro's, wagonr's, getz's, swift's or their deficiencies you guys seemed to be digging at. This thread should have been curtailed to answer this question only, not go OT talking about other manufacturers and the 1.6 or the 1.2L.

Quote:
Because they have to sell real cars now... not the outdated japanese stuff that they used to sell us as the most fuel efficient. They are the same poeple who launched Baleno at 8 lakhs at one time. Things change, people change, policies change... maybe FIAT will change too.
Its high time FIAT realizes the need to sell real cars too. Indian's as you can see are no longer only worried about FE and an affordable car. Market is maturing. I certainly do hope FIAT brand image changes. Somehow. Anyhow. But FIAT need to work relentlessly on that. And a JV with TATA seems to the first right step.

E_T, however you seemed to have missed out on my points where I have praised the GTX and appreciated the fact that FIAT should come out with the 1.3MJD sooner than later.

However, I do realize that a few of us here are taking these con's reported here as an insult to self and posting in a very unsocial manner. Atleast 10 posts were deleted from this thread yesterday. And I am sure finney agrees with me that it could have been dealt in a better way. That is all we are asking. Stick to topic, or come up with the right answers. No one hates FIAT, infact we bangy boys LOVE harrie's GTX and are hardpressing jay to buy it. If nothing else, its just the attitude of those few FIAT and Honda owners thats a little hard to digest.

Quote:
and why is that so ?? why should it be compared with far smaller cars ?? indica yes, fair enough. but spark , estilo, wagonr ???
I would be considered stupid if I were to compare the SX4(1.6L) engine with that of a Cedia (1.8). Similarly, the 1L(estilo, santro,indica GL, GLE, GLS, GLG, spark) to the 1.3L(of the swift).

Quote:
there. I've responded.
Unfortunately not with logical facts. I suggest you do so.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th May 2007 at 15:15.
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 15:05   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
3. Unsafe (Brakes, one of the worst in the whole industry)
This has irked me... Can you substantiate your claim? If this isnt shamless criticism, I would like to know what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
5. Expensive to maintain when compared to competition
6. Unpredictable (Or should it be unreliable?)
Have you owned a Palio. Go and check the spare part prices now, regular consumables are almost the same price as a santro or a wagon-r and in some cases cheaper! Take for example the tail lights, the ORVM's.
Huh.... Can you again substantiate you claim "unpredictable"?
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 24th May 2007, 15:08   #105
BHPian
 
sivadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
I think there should be WCOTY - Worst Car of the year and Palio 1.1 and Logan will be having a close battle.
That has to be BWCOTY

Quote:
@ Fiat Owners - Stop being biased by saying
Dont assume that all fiat owners are biased. I believe I was always objective and I still believe that Palio (whether it is 1.1 or 1.2) is a class above the likes of Santro and Spark by some basic rules. No point in explaining again and again that Palio is a more spacious car for which the driving feel is just like any other C segment car where as Santro will always behave as a smaller hatch.
Whether Palio 1.1 is overall a good package or not, these are plain facts that can be understood by any novice driver.

If some people want to be happy and satisfied with these Fiat bashing so be it. I have no issues. I am not paid by Fiat either
sivadas is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA - FIAT Palio Stile MJD : Crafted by FIAT specially for ME! funkykar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 179 25th March 2014 13:58
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life! funkykar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 69 6th November 2010 15:54
Palio Stile 1.6 or Palio Stile 1.3MJD? rudrah Hatchbacks 47 5th May 2008 03:45
Palio Stile 1.6 or Old Palio 1.6 2006 vinodbijlani Hatchbacks 12 14th August 2007 15:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks