Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2007, 08:28   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Whats there to be comfortable with AT? Any dimwit can drive an AT car. Its like driving a go kart.

Nope. Any dimwit certainly can if he has done it even once before, but he needs to know some basics.
  1. You have to keep your foot on the brake while shifting out of P
  2. You need to put the car back in P before taking the key out
  3. You need to know that the car will 'creep'
  4. Most of all you need to know its an AT -the valet will probably be looking for the clutch
  5. Biggest error is using the left foot suddenly trying to press the clutch and instead slamming the brakes and getting rear ended
Now I know that this is not rocket science but for example my friend bought an Accord and called me up late one night saying that he cant get his key out - and this after a half hour of struggling in the basement.
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

^^Add to that the fact that the car will only start when its in P.

However none of those are show stoppers that will prevent anyone from not driving an AT. Its just a few nuances but there's no skill required to drive unlike a manual.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:30   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Add to that the fact that the car will only start when its in P.

However none of those are show stoppers that will prevent anyone from not driving an AT. Its just a few nuances but there's no skill required to drive unlike a manual.
Noooo... I was not referring to skill required but just pointing out that its so easy to have an uneducated valet screw up your car.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

[quote=reignofchaos;541228]^^Whats there to be comfortable with AT? Any dimwit can drive an AT car.

Drive an AT and then remark what is `there to be comfortable with AT?'. If you have raging hormones, then of course you can drive a `silencer-free, mobike, of course without a helmet, and at 100 kmph in Chandni Chowk' Second, of course an AT car is easier to drive, and yes dimwits may be able to drive an AT car, but AT cars is a smart choice. Not that MT is a dim choice, but simply that for 90% of the car buyers in India (which comprises upto mid-size segment), there is no choice at all.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

reignofchaos: the issue is not about the valet being unable to drive the car, but about damaging it. I've seen N number of AT's rear ended due to someone taking their left leg and hitting the break thinking its a clutch.

According to me any dimwit can drive any car. AT or MT. HOW they drive it is what matters. Being in Bangalore I'm sure you appreciate that. :-)
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

The debate about ATs and MTs can go on forever. It all comes down to each ones liking. If we talked about old gen automatics, yes you could call them sluggish or slow even not fuel efficient. But even AT trannys have evolved and new gen AT cars are fast as well. I have driven some very powerful cars which are automatics and by powerful I mean cars having 400 bhp and above and the feeling is no less than I would get from an MT. Todays boxes give the multiple option of drivin in AT or MT, be it paddle shift, SMG, DSG, or tip tronic. So I guess this to satisfy the hunger and need for speed in both MT and AT enthusiasts alike.

On the FE part, its all in how you drive the AT car. That is a technique on how to manage the revvs and gear ratio changes in the slush box. People told me I would get onlysingle digit FE figures in my OHC but I can gladly say I have never got a below double digit mark FE figures.

as csentil said, a dimwit can drive anycar be it MT or AT. Its all in how you handle the machine. Like other things its just about getting used to it.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Heard of Tiptronic? Paddle shifts?
thanks for the unwarranted cynicism, would really appriciate if you elaborate on the things you have mentioned rather than just being sarcastic

regards
God bless
Manu
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 15:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
In US, you need to shell out anywhere between $1000 - 1500 extra for an automatic over manual. Of course many companies only sell automatics, so you won't know that you are paying more. The reason why americans prefer auto over manual is that they want life to be easy. Most Americans drive long distances to go to work and driving manual for 40 -60 miles every day is not very convenient. More so when you are late to work and need to have your breakfast and make up while driving.
The other reason is that most kids buy their first cars when they are 16 and the last thing you want is to have a teenage driver driving a stick shift.
please google it for japan and you will find that they ask you to pick one between auto and manual. will paste the link if required,

better performance is still with the manual. and seems like you got good experience with the USA lifestyle.

i have shared with you the discussion i had with my friend on why we as Indian still have not warmed up to Automatics.

and i believe a person can go from Manual to Automatic with much ease than the other way around.

tk care.
God bless

Regards,
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:24   #99
BHPian

here is the link for japan
[COLOR=#0047be]http://www.occidental.co.jp/license.html[/COLOR]
Old 23rd August 2007, 17:42   #100
BHPian

Default Lets comeback to main point

Guys,
We are diverting. One may different opinions on AT vs MT. I do respect all MT pro and AT pro opinions.
The thread started with
-------------
Today in the less than 10 lakhs segment i think only Santro and NHC are available.

1. Can the experts add on if more cars are available right now apart from the above?
2. Are there any more auto transmission cars being launched in the next 6 months?

it would be good to see swift,swift-diesel,spark,fusion to be coming out with auto transmission
--------------------
I would appriciate if some one can share any new info. There is rumor (I call it rumor as nobody confirmed officially) that both Santro and Maruti Wagon R are working on closing AT options. Is it true?
In that case Hondo CVT will become cheapest option in town.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:27   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
thanks for the unwarranted cynicism, would really appriciate if you elaborate on the things you have mentioned rather than just being sarcastic
Can you please, first, explain what you meant by
Quote:
And finally the need for speed can only be addressed adequatly with the manual systems.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:53   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post

regards
God bless
Manu
Where was the cynicism? Sarcasm - Yes but as Thad has pointed out - you so categorically said this:

Quote:
And finally the need for speed can only be addressed adequatly with the manual systems.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:55   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
Guys,
We are diverting. One may different opinions on AT vs MT. I do respect all MT pro and AT pro opinions.
The thread started with
-------------
Today in the less than 10 lakhs segment i think only Santro and NHC are available.

1. Can the experts add on if more cars are available right now apart from the above?
2. Are there any more auto transmission cars being launched in the next 6 months?

it would be good to see swift,swift-diesel,spark,fusion to be coming out with auto transmission
--------------------
I would appriciate if some one can share any new info. There is rumor (I call it rumor as nobody confirmed officially) that both Santro and Maruti Wagon R are working on closing AT options. Is it true?
In that case Hondo CVT will become cheapest option in town.
Yes rumours are there about the Swift. Hopefully the Fabia will have an AT version.

AFAIK [and correct me if I'm wrong], AT works well only with a bit higher powered engine? So that may be a reason that smaller cars do not have AT versions?
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

Drive an AT and then remark what is `there to be comfortable with AT?'. If you have raging hormones, then of course you can drive a `silencer-free, mobike, of course without a helmet, and at 100 kmph in Chandni Chowk' Second, of course an AT car is easier to drive, and yes dimwits may be able to drive an AT car, but AT cars is a smart choice. Not that MT is a dim choice, but simply that for 90% of the car buyers in India (which comprises upto mid-size segment), there is no choice at all.
I'd definitely not buy an AT even if I had the choice. About driving an AT, you don't have to tell me. I have driven enough automatics from a cheapo basic corolla right upto an auto box corvette.

The thing I hate about ATs is that the downshift follows after you hit the pedal instead of downshifting and then pressing the pedal in a manual which means there's lag... I basically hate this and I guess every single person who hates an AT has this issue at the forefront. Tiptronics and CVTs with fake shift points alleviate this to an extent but there is still lag, like it or not.

Whether an AT is a smart choice or not, its completely personal. Do you prefer convenience or performance? It all depends on that. I'd rather take the latter over the former.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:12   #105
BHPian

Default swift AT is coming?

Swift AT is coming ? That will be magic.
I have seen car called Smart in europe and Spark's UK edition with AT.
Both are small cars and works well.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote