Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th April 2004, 11:40   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I read in todays Economic Times that HMIL is gonna launch the Hyundai Tucson at a price of 14-15 lakhs. The Tucson will feature a 2.0 litre, CRDi engine, the same as the Elantra. So now we have another winner on Hyundai's hand.

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

yeah!!!!!!
saw it in autocar!!!!!
gonna book one as soon as it comes!!

ps:me slowly turning into a hyundai lover!
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Very Elegantly Designed. Very nice Car.
rgowani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 12:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

The fit and finish of the car looks good and in 14 - 15 lakhs it should be in the CRV territory and the great CRDi engine should take up the fight to Honda . It will be interesting gto see a comparision road test between the two SUVs
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 13:34   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes dippy, Hyundai is launching this mini-SUV after seeing the popularity of the Honda CR-V. I think that with this product and the Getz, Hyundais are slowly shedding their preference toward awkward designs.

Hyundai India must be really concerned as they are sailing the same boat as the Marutis. The B and C segment products are selling really well, but not too many people are willing to shell out over 10 lacs for a Hyundai badge. The dated and bland looking Elantra is not going to help matters either. And their present premium offerings, the Sonata and the Terracan, arent exactly setting the charts on fire.

Its up to the Tucson to enter premium Indian garages

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 13:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

If hyundai gain in upper segements it will be becuase of the diesel option
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 13:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] it will be becuase of the diesel option
Dont forget, the delicious Crdi engines. They are the only powerplants in Hyundai cars that I like. Driven an Accent Crdi lately?

GTO
Old 28th April 2004, 15:14   #8
Sam
BHPian

Yes i have driven a CRDi, its explosive with loads of tourque. But I do feel this looks like a CRV with a dash of toyota RAV, doesnt anyone else? It does seem like a good buy from the pics, but a good thru and thru test drive is in order.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

it even looks like the CR-V. and the Elantra really looks like a cross between the xing and accent...
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 15:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 28 2004,22:04)]Hyundai India must be really concerned as they are sailing the same boat as the Marutis. The B and C segment products are selling really well, but not too many people are willing to shell out over 10 lacs for a Hyundai badge. The dated and bland looking Elantra is not going to help matters either. And their present premium offerings, the Sonata and the Terracan, arent exactly setting the charts on fire.
Exactly GTO and i know why. People who go in for cars post 15 lakhs usually don't look at discounts and VFM. They want class, name and refinement.

These people can make a choice bcoz money is not an issue here.

Ofcourse there are a few who might be interested in saving a few bucks here n there, but that percentage is very less when compared to the lot, who buy small and midsized cars.

The Sonata is visually very, very attractive, but people know class when they see it.

Now coming back to the Tuscon. Yeah it looks good, well designed. Maybe a bit too outlandish, but it'll do.

The CRD-i will surely make it very fuel efficient. The extra torque produced by that 2ltr will make a lot of difference when carrying load.

Regards...
Shan2nu

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 16:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

well ,
according to me..the tucson looks quite handsome and with a 2 ltr crdi under the hood it will be great power , but how does it drive on road will answer the question of it being a best seller.....

my gut feeling says ...yes tucson will perform another santro like success for hyundai !! and also the santro to me is the best sibling under the hyundai brand !!

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 17:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

yup!
finally one hyundai product being appericiated!
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 18:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

I just noticed, look at the ground clearence between the front wheels in the first pic. Don't you think that's a tad lower than expected?

Regards..
Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 18:59   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I just noticed, look at the ground clearence between the front wheels in the first pic. Don't you think that's a tad lower than expected?
Dont let the looks fool you. There is nothing off-roadish about these vehicles. They are made for and should stay on the tarmac only.

The CR-V actually stands for City Runabout vehicle or something on similar lines

GTO
Old 28th April 2004, 19:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Was watching the Sahara guy on BBC - he has a CRV which has the roof and pillars chopped off and the rear doors welded shut - MURDER!!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote