Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th April 2004, 22:06   #1
BHPian

This must be an oft heard of subject, still I wonder when our motorists are gonna learn any manners and road ethics. Drivers in delhi will surely vouch for me when I say that itís got really really bad road sense. All the wide roads and massive flyovers donít mean a thing unless you know how to make the best use of them.

Before 8 in the morning and after 9 at night, the red lights donít obviously mean a thing. Even at the other times, most of the motorists see the red light just as means of identifying an intersection. When u pass a junction at a green signal, you inevitably have to slow down to watch out for dumb-### motorists (even cops) who cut the signals by the dozen. Itís happened to me the hard way when I hit a scooter guy who came in from in a side lane onto the main road without even bothering to check for oncoming vehicles. He went flyin over the road, but thank god nothing happened to the idiot. Moreover, he even said that the left side of the road is for ppl comin from the side road and that I shouldnít have been drivin on the left-hand side in the first place. I told him to file a case if it bothered him so much. End of story.

Another fact is the throng of 2 wheelers (incl cyclists) who somehow manage to wiggle in front of u at the red light. After the light goes green, most of them take an eternity to realize that its actually gone green. Even though you have timers at most traffic stops, people generally start their engines only after the lights go green. Itís so damn irritating when these guys make a slow move off the lights letting all the others behind suffer, In other words, only the lucky few make it across before the light goes red again. Doesnít it happen to all of us most of the time???

Ppl in delhi are very much influenced by the American driving style, as in the slower vehicles, incl trucks and buses, almost always go on the right-hand side. Slow moving cars or autoricks never budge if u honk to pass, considering it a loss of pride if they give way to someone elseÖÖ.more of a matter of ego/personal pride/arrogance or something like that. God help them.

So there you have it. Why play games like Midtown Madness and the like when you can have the real stuff here in the capital?

manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2004, 22:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

its the same story in mumbai...and everywhere else in india. atleast the roads in delhi are wider than the ones in mumbai.

and yes driving ettiquitte no longer exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Before 8 in the morning and after 9 at night, the red lights donít obviously mean a thing
in mumbai ..even after 8 and before 9 they dont mean a thing.

also one more irritating fact that i notice is that if u r in the left most lane waiting for ur signal..the vehicle that stops from ur left at a red signal always just overshoots the pedestrian crossing and stops half way in ur lane....and u have to cut rite to avoid that @@##$$$

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 00:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

man
i agree with you.
in bombay also it is so frustratin. i dont drive as i still dont have an DL but still i get so f@#$%@#g angry at the cabbies and scooterists and most importantly the buses , that i want 2 get a monster truck an show all those b@#$%*ds whose boss.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 03:53   #4
BANNED

try my small campus called manipal....1 corolla and , 100 bikes and 200 autos , 50 cows and 100 dogs!
vishnugnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 23:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]100 bikes and 200 autos , 50 cows and 100 dogs
well how does 1000 bikes , 1500 autos , 3000 taxis , 500 best buses , 300 st buses , 150 pvt buses , 500 cyclists , unlimited pedestrians sound ??

and i havent even taken the dogs and cows in the picture ??

bombay is stagnating as far as roads are concerned and the automobiles are ever increasing!!!!!

normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 05:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Wow....you have been very modest with the figures NC !

Atleast in south bbay the signal breaking during the day does not happen as much as in delhi etc... thank god for that ONE good thing!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 12:53   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have heard from countless sources that the driving manners of delhi are two levels more pathetic than what we see in Bombay.

But an equal number have also vouched for Calcutta as being the worst Indian city to drive in. Having been there a while ago, I believe it.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 14:04   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

believe me when i say this....compared to delhi driving we're much more civilized..had been to auto expo in delhi in jan & got to see the traffic...first of all there ARE NO road manners.....ppl drive however they feel like...& NC we obey the rules LOT MORE than they ever do! once i was in a rick & the traffic was moving ahead & our rickshawwallah had to take a right turn & he was in the extreme left lane....now what does he do?? he just cuts perpendicular across the traffic!!! i was just dumbstruck...i didn't have any words for that kind of driving (or lack of it)...ppl in delhi drive the way children play with their toy cars!! going anywhere & anyhow! in another instance i was in a qualis with whose driver i was talking who happened to mention how the two & wheelers irritate..& so what does he do!! just goes & bangs into them albeit a little lightly but still....to teach them a lesson ...now this is something that nobody does here...& once while removing the car from the parking he backed up w/o looking behind & hit a lancer..now i was watching all this & the lancer was parked properly. The qualis's wheels were turned & he didn't bother & just backed up...to which the driver says...' saale lancerwale ko park karna nahi aata!!' at that moment i couldn't help but laugh another interesting thing that i noted was that 9 out of 10 cars are banged in delhi...very & i mean very few cars are there who dont have a dent!
hope u ppl dont get bored of this long write up...many more instances but i'm sparing u of the boredom ...nah..i'm just bored to type
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 16:09   #9
BHPian

u really have to drive around in delhi to believe it. there have even been occasions when mercs have nudged my 800's bumper. it's a very rare occasion when u find a vehicle without a dent on it. small nicks and bangs, nobody even stops.......it's considered normal.
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:55   #10
BANNED

true that man....but hey the day i go to vote will be the day we get lane roads on every hoghway on india. only that party deserves my vote...heard indias gonna be a super power by 2050....and beleieve or not we have kutcha, pucca and no roadsconnecting major cities!!!1
Old 2nd May 2004, 12:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ May 02 2004,04:25)]hoghway
hahaha.that is really the right term for highways in india!! everyone hogs the way and there are even some hogs on the way!
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 05:05   #12
BANNED

i was a simple accident rehaan.. glad to know u got a laugh out of it. anyways i think whole indian drivers should be shown a video n drivign properly before the get their licenses!!