Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th June 2007, 20:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Does anyone feel that Skoda may have missed the boat? In 2007, the segment is more competitive than ever. In another three years, Honda and Toyota are sure to have cars in the 5 - 6 lakh priceband.
Actually a few years ago, I doubt if people would put down more than 5 lakhs for a hatch, but now with the Swift and the Getz, people are gradually accepting a premium hatch and are doing away with their obsession with a boot. Skoda might have been able to sucessfully launch a Fabia sedan but I doubt the hatch would do too well,IMO nows the perfect time for Skoda to launch their premium hatch.
Old 29th June 2007, 20:21   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If only Skoda could stick a boot to the Fabia and make it a sedan, they would be able to price it easily above the City and still be OK.

I am curious to see what engines will be offered. Considering that they are testing a lot in Bangalore, its probably not the 1.9TDI from the Octy. The next step down is the 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder which is a FE champ.
But that would mean waiting some more, and losing out on more market share, However I do agree with you, a boot would gauruntee its success.
Old 29th June 2007, 20:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Skoda is premium brand for India only... And then its not as premium as BMW n Merc in India...

So a hatch priced above 1 L than Swift terettory is simply not going to work.. Here a common man is more concerned about avg.. now if Swift n Fabia are giving same Avg, looks similar, dimensions are not very different, then Swift will win anyday..

Another fear with Fabia is its spare parts.. Skoda is not famous as a low cost servicing affair.. So Skoda should place it at the right spot if they are intend to play a mass player in small car segment..
Were talking about the Indian market here, and in the Indian market Skoda IS a premum brand. People will want to have a Skoda in their garage rather than a Maruti and wouldnt mind paying that little bit extra for the Fabia IMO
Old 29th June 2007, 21:54   #139
fb1
BHPian

Tru dat khanak````````````````
Old 29th June 2007, 22:11   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Were talking about the Indian market here, and in the Indian market Skoda IS a premum brand. People will want to have a Skoda in their garage rather than a Maruti and wouldnt mind paying that little bit extra for the Fabia IMO
I doubt that. Only few people think that way. For them, it is mostly a second car for city travel. Most of the Indians look for a vehicle which is affordable. Not just in terms of purchase price, but also in terms of maintenance. I am sure they prefer a Maruti to a Skoda.

Regards,
Mohan
Old 30th June 2007, 00:17   #141
BANNED

Default Hmmmm...... Interesting!

Quote:
If only Skoda could stick a boot to the Fabia and make it a sedan, they would be able to price it easily above the City and still be OK.
Naaah! Not another box hanging thingy we want. Please Skoda! Don't do this.
Yes, this is my prayer. But the above quote is absolutely a selling trick which works well in India.
Quote:
I am curious to see what engines will be offered. Considering that they are testing a lot in Bangalore, its probably not the 1.9TDI from the Octy. The next step down is the 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder which is a FE champ.
WOW!!! That 1.4 TDI would definitely be a crowd puller. But then we will have to do a price versus economy versus usage comparo to actually find out if it is worth paying any premium.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:25   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But,

With a 3-cylinder, would they be able to match the refinement and low NVH levels of the Swift DDiS?

Also, with 70bhp and 155Nm torque (compared to 75bhp and 190 Nm torque for Swift DDiS), dont see any visible advantage in the engine specs of the Fabia diesel. Any idea of the mileage figures?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th June 2007 at 00:30.
Old 30th June 2007, 10:18   #143
Senior - BHPian

Technically Skoda Fabia will be much superior to whats there with Swift because MUL Swift has pathetic insulation and not so good quality materials. With AC on one can hear outside noice more in Swift compared even with Santro which is 1 segment down.

I own Swift and Santro and I noticed this and my friends noticed it to.

Coming to Fabia what I heard is its FE is best in its segment may be 1 or 2km more compared with Swift. Thats why MUL realized they need to bring new engine for Swift so MUL can sell economy Swift with present esteem tuned engine and Swift New Engine with more cost!

We can't compare Fabia and Swift at all, both will create seperate segment apart.

In India price matters to see big sales, If fabia is priced max. 40k costlier than Swift it will win big time.

The way people are talking about Fabia Diesel in Bangalore is it will give 22+km as FE in city and 28kmpl on highway which is ideal for luxury city taxy because it will have better space compared with Indica, But this is just word of mouth last year I heard. Please don't blame me actual FE is less than this.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th June 2007, 10:33   #144
Senior - BHPian

The talk about Swift DDIS FE is still doing the round of 24kmpl in City and 30 on highways by my dealer, needless to say all hogwash.
Old 30th June 2007, 10:55   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

My guess is you could tell the difference between a Swift and a Skoda by leaning against it.

I'd say that even blindfolded, all you'd have to do is sit in the two cars.

That's what people will pay for.

Now... I wouldn't put money on myself being able to do that, but I think you guys have much greater car appreciation skills....

Heck... Yes, I'd put a few rupees on my being able to do it!
Old 30th June 2007, 12:00   #146
Senior - BHPian

i dont know why people are on bot comparison between a 5.5 lak car and another thats going to be above 7.5 min.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i dont know why people are on bot comparison between a 5.5 lak car and another thats going to be above 7.5 min.
both are

premium hatchbacks
similar dimensions
similar engine specifications
Old 1st July 2007, 11:29   #148
BHPian

I spotted a black Fabia on the Kothannur Dinne main road yesterday morning. The logo on the grille was masked with yellow tape and the car had a MH-xx, TR/TX xxxx registration. I dont know if this was a owned car or a demo/test car. It was unmistakable the Fabia and it looked pretty good too. Too bad I couldnt take any pics as we were headed in opposite directions and I spotted it in a turn.
Old 1st July 2007, 14:49   #149
BHPian

spotted a dark maroon colour on the aurangabad jalgaon road while travelling to and fro from jalgaon.
It was a test vahicle and as it was coming from the opposite sides at both times could not gauge performance at all.
Does not seem very impressive to look at neither does it look sporty, actually slightly dissapointed with the looks, don't think you can really succeed in making a hatch look stately inthe same mould as the octavia/optra.
From my point of view a hatch looks best when it looks smart and swift--eg: 207 ,xsara,focus(UK),swift ,mini(cooper version) etc.

Biggest thing to be seen is how skoda dealers deal with the fabia(customer driven) crowd as opposed to the octavia(driver driven ) crowd ,as their after sales service is nothing great to discuss about .and if they continue to use synthetic oil with the fabia too, the same levels of servicing cost will never work with the fabia.
unless they only intend to sell it to existing skoda customers as a 2nd/3rd car.
Old 1st July 2007, 16:16   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Technically Skoda Fabia will be much superior to whats there with Swift because MUL Swift has pathetic insulation and not so good quality materials. With AC on one can hear outside noice more in Swift compared even with Santro which is 1 segment down.
I agree.

But also, the FIAT 1.3 JTD is supposed to have much lower NVH levels compared to the 1.4 TDi.
Closed Thread