Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 23:11   #271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 363 Times
Default

Clearly there will have to be some changes in the Skoda dealerships for dealing with a car at a different segment. These sort of prices for service will not work for the Fabia, even Octavia/Laura owners seem to be complaining all over the forums. Of course Skoda fans on the forums seem like they will happily pay any amount for 'the brand'.
raul is offline  
Old 17th December 2007, 23:34   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
but busa i still maintain that Skoda is a better brand than toyota / honda
Skoda does not even exsist in America or Canada or SA and nor in F1. Its no way near Toyota/Honda, trust me, not even nea Ford
BUSA is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 00:10   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
but busa i still maintain that Skoda is a better brand than toyota / honda
Skoda does not sell in the West, America, Canada, SA and also Skoda is not in F1. Leave Toyota and Honda, Skoda cant even hold a candle to Ford in terms of brand in all the countries except maybe India.

What can you expect from a car company which has just 3 cars and that also build on their parent companys car.
BUSA is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 10:38   #274
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,151
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Skoda does not sell in the West, America, Canada, SA and also Skoda is not in F1. Leave Toyota and Honda, Skoda cant even hold a candle to Ford in terms of brand in all the countries except maybe India.

What can you expect from a car company which has just 3 cars and that also build on their parent companys car.
i completely agree. skoda seems to have a 'false' snob/brand value in india, and its riding this high now. i dont see why an octavia should cost 13+ lakhs OTR...skoda is milking the customers in india for as long as they can. i hope competition will bring them back on track fast!

Last edited by NIP : 18th December 2007 at 10:39.
NIP is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 10:54   #275
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

to each his own...
i agree with you ac427..it is indeed a better brand..but then everyone is entitled to an opinion..
gunjan is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 11:16   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 54
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

No spare parts sale counters from Skoda. So we are forced to source and service from skoda service only. I have a broken driver side window control switch and it costs Rs.6500+tax! I haven't changed still now. Is it possible to get it from outside?
Ramesh75 is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 12:11   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Skoda does not sell in the West, America, Canada, SA and also Skoda is not in F1. Leave Toyota and Honda, Skoda cant even hold a candle to Ford in terms of brand in all the countries except maybe India.

What can you expect from a car company which has just 3 cars and that also build on their parent companys car.
a history lesson.
1) skoda is the 3rd oldest car maker. That gives them a LOT of heritage.
2) Skoda did well in WRC with the Octi and with the fabia. If am not wrong there are ONLY 8 manufacturers in the circuit today.
3) Just for a clarification . . . internationally whatever. . in India they make better cars than Toyota and HOnda. That fact cant be argued. The only problem its go its not a mass brand and their aftersales SUCKS big time. And we are just trying to ape the westerns . . . because its not good there, its not good here.
I beg to differ on that. What performs for me. . .is a performer.
ac 427 is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 12:48   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
a history lesson.
1) skoda is the 3rd oldest car maker. That gives them a LOT of heritage.
You evidently have no idea of what happened to Skoda after WWII or choose to ignore that completely. Since we are on a history lesson, please do inform yourself about that too before you start on it's "Heritage". Before, the VW group took them over they had no image left, leave alone heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
3) Just for a clarification . . . internationally whatever. . in India they make better cars than Toyota and HOnda. That fact cant be argued.
Why?? Because you say it can't be argued?? I think what they make is average stuff being sold at excessive prices backed up by poor service & exhorbitant spare parts prices. Let's talk facts shall we, not assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
The only problem its go its not a mass brand and their aftersales SUCKS big time. And we are just trying to ape the westerns . . . because its not good there, its not good here.
Huh?? I don't see it as a niche brand. It's present in 3 segments as of now with the product for the 4th segment coming out next month. If that is what you call niche market or "not" mass market, I suggest you re-evaluate the same. This brand is as mass market as it gets, it is by no means a niche brand. And anyway, every manufacturer has a duty to give the best possible sales & service be it a mass market or a niche market company, how can that justify poor service support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
I beg to differ on that. What performs for me. . .is a performer.
Fair enough but please do not impose that on others by turning personal opinions into fact. We will continue to think what is right or wrong according to our parameters.
iraghava is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:03   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default its gettin hot in here!!

oh c'mon...is skoda,honda or whoever a part of your extended family? this is hillarious..like two kids fighting over whose JIJOE is better....
this thread, in the first place is about the fabia, lets talk about it..i mean that is a good enough subject to talk about,nahi??
rev up.. is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:06   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You evidently have no idea of what happened to Skoda after WWII or choose to ignore that completely. Since we are on a history lesson, please do inform yourself about that too before you start on it's "Heritage". Before, the VW group took them over they had no image left, leave alone heritage.
So what ???? It still holds the badge of being the third oldest car maker. I think give credit where its due. Bugatti got lost, Vincent got lost many greats got lost after wwI and WWII but that doesnt mean they are any less. And lets not get into who has 'any idea' about what happened to a particular brand. I am as ignorant as others in this forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Why?? Because you say it can't be argued?? I think what they make is average stuff being sold at excessive prices backed up by poor service & exhorbitant spare parts prices. Let'ss talk facts shall we, not assumptions.
Agree. Its aftersales Sucks. But the cars are better. THe 1.8 scorched any petrol in its territory, and there has not been any competition to the deisel. The build quality of this car is Leaps ahead of any car in its category. These are Facts and not assupmations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Huh?? I don't see it as a niche brand. It's present in 3 segments as of now with the product for the 4th segment coming out next month. If that is what you call niche market or "not" mass market, I suggest you re-evaluate the same. This brand is as mass market as it gets, it is by no means a niche brand. And anyway, every manufacturer has a duty to give the best possible sales & service be it a mass market or a niche market company, how can that justify poor service support?
That they have messed up. Big time. Their aftersales is pathetic. i do agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Fair enough but please do not impose that on others by turning personal opinions into fact. We will continue to think what is right or wrong according to our parameters.
this is an open forum to point individual pov, as we all think passionately about vehicles. . .i have not and will not try to influence and impose my thoughts over others, but yes i will put my point across.

cheers.

Last edited by ac 427 : 18th December 2007 at 13:07.
ac 427 is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:17   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
i completely agree. skoda seems to have a 'false' snob/brand value in india, and its riding this high now.
For all those who are complaining about Skoda's false snob value, may I ask why Honda and Toyota have snob value and why are they considered premium car makers? Tell an American about the premium Honda Civic and he will get a heart attack right there. If Skoda can't be a premium car maker in India because it's a basic car maker in Europe then the same rules should apply to everyone right? In US, Honda and Toyota are like Maruti and Hyundai here, makers of basic cars that get people from point A to B in comfort. They are just beginning to push the envelope further with their new Camry's and Accords that boast of better looks and design, interiors, performance etc. Much like what Maruti is doing here with Swift, SX4.

Quote:
i dont see why an octavia should cost 13+ lakhs OTR...skoda is milking the customers in india for as long as they can. i hope competition will bring them back on track fast!
I don't see why a Toyota Camry should cost Rs.2.5 Million rupees! Or why should a Accord V6 cost 17 lakhs or a CR-V cost Rs.20 lakhs. Why should a NHC cost almost a million rupees for the VTEC version? Why should a Hyundai Sonata cost 12-14 lakhs?

Every car market is different. Prices also depend on tax structures. The Indian car market is still immature and it's still too small in volumes. For example, Honda sells more Civic's in one month in the US then it does in the whole year in India.

Last edited by amit : 18th December 2007 at 13:27.
amit is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:30   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default

maybe this calls for a poll? Which is a better/premium brand in India: Honda, Toyota, Skoda?
androdev is online now  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:48   #283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion but it does not necessarily give one the right to force his/her own opinion on others. AC427 may have some soft corner for Skoda but that does not mean that everyone likes Skoda or has had good experiences with them. Maybe as a company Skoda is good or better or best, but their dealers may be bad. We have a member on the forum who very recently had a very bad experience with a dealer of Skoda.

Skoda is a company who in India sell their average products at premium prices but that does not make their products niche or up-market.

Anyways, this particular thread is about a hatchback called the Fabia. We should not make it an opportunity to do a Skoda bashing or a Toyota or Honda or Tata or Maruti bashing.

Just my 2 cents. So don't start a Sumit bashing here
SumitB is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:49   #284
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi all

Guys Ive had an Octi for 2 years & currently own a Laura I also own a Mercedes 220 which I use sparing a Lancer & a Swing I think it covers the range of cars YES the MERC turns the maximum heads but I mus say the Skoda has come a long way & in India the car commands respect. I can also tell you the the image of the car has done a major turnaround in Europe where the care is now seen extensively
D-power is offline  
Old 18th December 2007, 13:50   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 769
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
maybe this calls for a poll? Which is a better/premium brand in India: Honda, Toyota, Skoda?
Shouldn't that be re-phrased as "which car maker make good cars in India in the segments or price range they sell"? Again this might lead to "what is good"? Many people don't even consider the power, safety features, etc. as important. In any case, that will kick off a debate that is full of useful information.
opendro is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't the car companies have online tracking service for new bookings? shipnil The Indian Car Scene 34 5th November 2016 18:54
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
Pathetic service from Skoda and Fabia woes. EDIT : Got FULL refund from Skoda Gaurav Mathur Indian Car Dealerships 80 11th August 2010 01:49
Skoda agrees to replace my faulty Fabia, which Skoda to purchase now? mayank123 Luxury, Imports & Niche 40 11th August 2009 20:10
2008 Audi A4 releasing July, Bookings Started! Edit: Now Launched Insane Devil The Indian Car Scene 84 28th July 2008 21:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks