Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th October 2013, 00:17   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Difference in ex-showroom prices across various states?

I checked on various websites, after having already assumed that the prices on carwale.com are probably not updated or something.

Just checked cardekho.com as well.
While the price difference is not as huge as suggested earlier, it is still a good 2-3L on the A6.

I am going with the view that it is the different VAT structures that is causing the difference in prices.
rowhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 05:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

2 to 3 Lakhs difference is pretty much within the permissible limits for a 40 Lakh Rupee car. VAT rates on Cars usually varies from 8% to 14.5% from state to state, Octroi and Entry tax not considered.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 08:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Difference in ex-showroom prices across various states?

This post will maybe help better in understanding why the difference in the exshowroom cost of the cars in different states.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2672842

Every state has a different tax structure, add to that the city levied taxes if any and you arrive at the exshowroom cost. The State taxes in Maharashtra & south Indian states are highest in the country. Up north they are lowest.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 10:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This post will maybe help better in understanding why the difference in the exshowroom cost of the cars in different states.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2672842

Every state has a different tax structure, add to that the city levied taxes if any and you arrive at the exshowroom cost. The State taxes in Maharashtra & south Indian states are highest in the country. Up north they are lowest.
Yes, that is correct. Most of the southern states especially Bangalore and Hyderabad have high taxes. Delhi has quite low in this case.
Chandigarh is a union territory and directly administered by GOI, this could be the reason of lower car prices because generally state governments may put additional taxes or charges.
skyfire2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 12:30   #35
BHPian

This thread reminds me of the time when we bought our Maurti Suzuki Esteem some 8 years ago. We got the delivery from delhi (with temporary registration) since the dealer was known and offering a very handsome deal. Then we got it registered in Haryana which further helped in saving some 8-10k on the registration charges etc.

Further, my dad tells me that in the 1990's, they used to transport(and even self drive!) the TATA bus chassis from Daman to Delhi since Daman was a tax free zone and the chassis were available with a relative ease as compared to the rush/black-marketing in Delhi. In the entire process, there was money saved and chassis available without much hassle. Surely, that was the time when he was young, enthusiastic and lot more energetic to attempt and accomplish such feat.
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 12:43   #36
BHPian

The OEM price to all its Dealers across the country is SAME price irrespective of distance. Its the state tax (VAT, and even Octroi in Maharashtra) which makes the difference.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 18:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Huge differences in prices between cities

I was collecting the price of a particular car that I wanted to buy for my parents back in my native state (Manipur), and to my surprise, the road tax is just merely 1.2% or less. I was pleasantly surprise

Name:  RT.png
Views: 517
Size:  50.5 KB
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote