Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st June 2007, 12:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

Guess i was amazed at how soon it took upon commercial duties. The car has just been launched recently, and also its not a diesel variant which makes economical sense too.

I agree most other cars too have taken up similar duties, but so soon in their life cycle?

Edit to reply to Suman's post below :
Fiesta's came with a diesel variant, so not really surprising in that case.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st June 2007 at 12:20.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 12:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I agree most other cars too have taken up similar duties, but so soon in their life cycle?
Well, I remember a similar discussion on Fiestas (white ones) soon after their launch

EDIT: Found the discussion, here you go -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-india-9.html (Chevy Aveo Sedan Launched in India)

EDIT 2: You have a point but there are umpteen NHCs & Balenos used by Hotels & companies like Avis & Hertz so the SX4 was a great alternative that many of them would have been waiting for.............

Last edited by suman : 21st June 2007 at 12:35.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

It is mostly perceived as Bad cars become Taxis and hence Taxis are bad cars. But the reality is quite different.

VFM cars (or cars with some specific appeal) which are reliable robust and not-so-costly-to-run become taxi/cab but then its the poor maintenance and abuse that these vehicles face which turn them into bad cars, thus giving the perception that cab cars are indeed bad.

However some fleet operators do the experimentation with newer vehicles (sometimes to cash in on exclusivity).

So really nothing wrong with a car becoming a cabbie choice. Image suffers only because how the cabbies treat or use these machines.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:26   #49

I should think that the criteria for a car becoming a cab is usually-
Space for passengers and luggage
Fuel economy ( or if it can be converted to CNG etc)
Cost of maintenance

So typically you see lower end cars such as Omni and Amby - which have loads of space - are cheap to maintain( sure the Amby has high breakdown capability but your neighbourhood garage ka "chotu" would typically have it up and running soon enough , Omni - oldest cheapest maruti) - both are converted to CNG
Moving up the chain - Indica/Indigo - oil burners - and while they might have niggles - have noted that the engine keeps running - and the customer only cares if the a/c is running and he can stretch his legs in the back seat- and again costs are low for spares etc.
Higher end - Avis and others - whenever I have used them- what do they send - Corolla, Innova, City - for their segment - fuel efficient cars with big boots and great rear seats ( when u are charging 15/20 rs a km the efficient petrol cars work too)
So naturally the SX4 - from the looks of it - great rear seats ( for 2 people) , low maintenance ( and cheap when needed and a great A.S.S. network, huge boot - the only thing is fuel efficiency here - from all accounts it is not as good - but it should be comparable to the corolla anyway though not the city- and the possibility that CNG kits can be fitted sooner rather than later- is another car that can become a good cab - and remember - they are using VXi - readily available and with the discount - more than a lac lower than the City Exi
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 21:58   #50
Default Indore going to get SX4 Taxi!

Indore city is getting a gift of SX4 Taxis very soon. Read this linkieNaidunia: First Hindi Newspaper on the Internet

In short "Indore City Transport Services Limited (ICTSL) has accepted tender from Prem Call Cabs Pvt. Ltd. which will introduce SX4 as a premium taxi on Indore roads. The taxies will be GPS enabled and users will be charged 15 Rs. per KM."

VXi or ZXi is not known yet.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 10:34   #51
Team-BHP Support

I would say its the VXi they would opt for. The ZXi has goodies which are meant for the driver, rather than the passenger, so they can easily avoid those, and keep costs down.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 11:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

It would obviously be the VXi. More readily available, and also, as Benbsb said, ZXi goodies are more driver oriented.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 11:51   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm.. not surprized that the sx4 made it here. I saw a NHC VTEC taxi here some days back! Why the vtec??
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote