Old 14th January 2015, 20:43   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Guide for what to do when in an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Have been involved in different accidents which different kind of people

What I have experienced in the accidents I have been involved in India

s
my two cents, based on real life experiences.

In the first instance, if it is a minor brush against another vehicle, most probably you would have scratch. In the interest of time, your blood pressure etc. safety for your family who is on the car etc. better to let it pass.

Simply forget it and get some rubbing compound, this will solve or rather erase most problems errr some small scratches etc. Dents will have to be taken to the body shop.

In any case, you do not require a FIR copy in India to register an Insurance claim, why waste the cop's time, he will be busy filling in his coffers and then the state's, particularly in that order.

Agreed, we all love out vehicles, but I guess in this age wherein I have seen a few known people die due to sudden heart related problems, better to LOVE ourselves first.

Me First, Me First!

Secondly, if he accident is a major one, then you need to start thinking who are your good friends.

I was involved in a major crash earlier last year, if it had not been for the timely intervention by my friends, I would have been taken to the Govt Hospital, that is the worst that can happen to you.

Friends!, take good care of them, they will help you out.

After my crash, as soon as I got out of the vehicle, (I had rammed a person from behind and both vehicles had turned turtle) I had the consciousness and the presence of mind to understand what the hell had suddenly happened.

Lady luck, my good fortune etc. .you name it was on my side, one of the lady passengers started screaming at the driver " I had warned you against reversing on the freeway".

That was the cause, I asked a passer by to take pics of both the vehicles from all angles. They came in handy later with the cops.

within 30 minutes the cops came cleared the mess and wanted to take me to the Govt. hospital, timely intervention by a friend ensured that I was taken to a private clinic.

He had to give his name and telephone number, post which the inspector allowed him to take away.

This knowledgeable friend, assured me that medical care can now be given in the absence of a Police Case, so not only do you need a friend, he also has to be knowledgeable.

I was taken to the hospital, the ortho was summoned, I was taken to the xray, friends arranged for comfortable clothing. Again friends.

Post the doc's visit, I informed by wife and my friends stood by me till backup support arrived.

Now the cops came back on the scene, since I had rammed this person from behind I was supposed to be arrested, the pics bailed me as I could prove that the other guy was at fault.

The the hospital will write a formal letter to the local police chowki, somebody needs to get an acknowledgement, the your RC, insurance, PUC and other documents needs to be submitted to police.

Remember to take the FIR Copy and preserve it and make some 100 copies of the same.

The reason I am sharing this on forum is purely as a procedural nightmare a REAL accident can get to be.

Next, to be discussed are medical claims for the post accident care and auto insurance claims,

If people are interested in knowing the nuances can share.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 23:13   #107
BHPian

Default Re: What to do in case of an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As per my understanding FIR means "a offense has happened and needs to be investigated". Once the police have investigated, the findings need to be presented to the court for the court to decide whose fault was it and what is the amount of compensation, if any. So, yes, the compensation through third-party-insurance (or otherwise) has to be routed through a court case.

Experts can comment and correct my understanding.
Can compensation through third party happen? Just from the wording I thought If meant when two cars collide they are considered party one and two and in case a third individual (physical person not a car) was involved in that accident then that comes under Third Party?
CR-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 11:47   #108
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: What to do in case of an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Can compensation through third party happen? Just from the wording I thought If meant when two cars collide they are considered party one and two and in case a third individual (physical person not a car) was involved in that accident then that comes under Third Party?
Yes, you are right in that interpretation. Would like to add just one thing. When a public or private property gets damaged during an accident (e.g. a accident causing a compund wall of a house to collapse), then compensation for that damage is also covered under third-party.
At least that is my understanding.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote