Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st May 2004, 13:08   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guess what just came in to my office right now? A detailed estimate for the 2nd service.

Heres the breakup

2800 - Labor to Clean fuel injectors
5530 - 7 liters Mobil 1
799 - Oil filter
185 - Shampoo
1061 - Brake oil
960 - Coolant
1919 - Air filter
5674 - A/c filter
5544 - Fuel filter
1336 - Fuel hose
300 - Clips
4200 - Labor for changing lubes and filters.
80xx - Brake pads

Total? A cool 38,300.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 13:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 01 2004,11:38)]There really is not much that comes close to experiencing a mercedes-benz.

Guess what just came in to my office right now? A detailed estimate for the 2nd service.

Heres the breakup

5530 - 7 liters Mobil 1
799 - Oil filter
185 - Shampoo
1061 - Brake oil
960 - Coolant
1919 - Air filter
5674 - A/c filter
5544 - Fuel filter
1336 - Fuel hose
300 - Clips
80xx - Brake pads

Total? A cool 38,300.

GTO
GTO,
I'm sorry abt your experiences esp. when it comes to the service which i always assumed would be as good as it is here in Gujarat.
Why dun u drive down your car to Gujarat and service it?
The dealer here CAMA Motors, Is awesome my first E service was abt 10K and 2nd was abt 21.5K...
Abt the S class will let you know once i do the 10,000K...

But here in Gujarat we're so happy with the dealer my family refuses to buy any other car besides a mercedes.
And why dun u tell them not to change the A/c filter and air filter and brakepads? and ask them to reduce labour since ur reducing so many parts!!

They have to listen to you and i asked my dealer he said as long as it doesnt indicate in the small screen in the dash u dun need to.
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:10   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (S350L-E240 @ May 01 2004,12:27)][But here in Gujarat we're so happy with the dealer my family refuses to buy any other car besides a mercedes.
hmm sl u will have to hard pressed for choice since the s , c and e and sl500 r sold in india and u have them already if i am not mistaken the sl 500 is missing the stable ... so what next........! r u htnkin what i ma thinking.

anwyas back to business well man what do thay say abt expensice cars. but seriously the service charge on the merc c is a bit atricious..since its c its supposed to be cheap.
man come on...this is a merc..and good ride doesnt come free i guess. but the dealer should atleast tell u what is needed and what is not. half the time they say replace everyhting. i mean come on for a car that 1 year old. and that too a merc...thses type of quality problems have to be isseued with.
thanx for letting us know man..i though mercs were a one time hassle...the time u pay the chek ...but alas no...it a life long one!
vishnugnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hey GTO,

Shocking!...mercs are expensive...but 38k for a service is ridiculous!
The only thing i can suggest is to keep your current brake pads on. Replacing them now is just SOP for MB. And when they need to be changed the car will let you know!
(Also take your own mobil1 which i am sure you will do.. )

cya
R
ps - the labour charges are ridiculous!
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 10:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

changing pads ain't a big deal - source your own genuine pads from overseas and fit locally
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ May 02 2004,08:54)]changing pads ain't a big deal - source your own genuine pads from overseas and fit locally
not in cars which have SBC like the new W211 ( Eclass) . the procedure involves you to deactivate the SBC system to work on the braking system (changing pad/calipers/disc/fluid/) and to diactivate SBC you need Star Diagnosis which is the Laptop they use.

Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 11:52   #22
BHPian

See that is why I dont go to Auto Hangar or Sah Sangvi at all. I used to give my cars to them but they didnt know Jack SHIT. I had to tell them what all to do and then they used to foot me a HUGE Bill. Thats why now I go to an Outsider who has the STAR Diagnostic System. GTO why dont you give the car to him and lets see what the outdsider will charge. I mean he will change the things only needed changing.
rgowani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2004, 14:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ May 02 2004,03:40)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (S350L-E240 @ May 01 2004,12:27)][But here in Gujarat we're so happy with the dealer my family refuses to buy any other car besides a mercedes.
hmm sl u will have to hard pressed for choice since the s , c and e and sl500 *r sold in india and u have them already if i am not mistaken the sl 500 is missing the stable ... so what next........! r u htnkin what i ma thinking.

anwyas back to business well man what do thay say abt expensice cars. but seriously the service charge on the merc c is a bit atricious..since its c its supposed to be cheap.
man come on...this is a merc..and good ride doesnt come free i guess. but the dealer should atleast tell u what is needed and what is not. half the time they say replace everyhting. i mean come on for a car that 1 year old. and that too a merc...thses type of quality problems have to be isseued with.
thanx for letting us know man..i though mercs were a one time hassle...the time u pay the chek ...but alas no...it a life long one!
lol next is a CLS..

And somehow i think the C service cost is high compared to what i pay for the E...
Old 2nd May 2004, 14:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

GTO keep us posted... on further developments... and tell em not to change those filters and stuff..
Old 3rd May 2004, 02:04   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Why dun u drive down your car to Gujarat and service it?
S350, its really impractical to drive down to another state to save just 10 grand on a service. I could use that time in my office and make a load more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The only thing i can suggest is to keep your current brake pads on.
You bet, They arent even localized so I cant imagine them being worn out in a car thats hardly been driven hard. (Ok ok, except for the 200 km/h expressway stints and the occasional racing line path around town)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Thats why now I go to an Outsider who has the STAR Diagnostic System. GTO why dont you give the car to him
RG I honestly would not mind trying him out but getting the services done outside would void my warranty. Plus its a rule in my house that a car goes only to the authorised service stations for the first 5 years of its lifetime.

GTO
Old 3rd May 2004, 06:56   #26
BHPian

It is really outrageous..I have had MBs for sometime in my house..I know service cost is high, I didnt know it was this high, I never had to take the car to the shop myself, so i dont know..but I know for a fact that if u have a very loyal driver which is friends with the mechanics and all, you save a bunch..i have a very loyal driver who has saved a ton of money..

he knows all the mechanics in the shop and he use to get work done for 1/5 the cost..like my E was hit from the front scratching the bumper and the front left fender, it had to be painted again and some dents had to be corrected, you would imagine it to be more than 80,000 rs..i am guessimating..its a very conservative guess..it might be more..my driver got it done from the factory in one day for guess guess??

10,000rs...

there are many incidence like this in the house..i would have found out from my driver(who takes care of the MBs) how much it would be, but he is sick and has taken off for sometime...

as far as I have heard its been 20k, but no one in my house gets to know all this other than the driver and the accountant..so i dont know..

anyhow..you definetly dont need a brake pad change no matter what they say..hell i am driving an infiniti for about 4 years 40,000 miles and my pads are going strong..and i kill my cars...u cant even imagine how badly..so if my car can survive, your C should most definetly be good for another 30,000 kms

hope you get this resolved and not get looted...

cheers.
_Crazi4Speed_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 23:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 01 2004,11:38)]Guess what just came in to my office right now? A detailed estimate for the 2nd service.

Heres the breakup

5530 - 7 liters Mobil 1
799 - Oil filter
185 - Shampoo
1061 - Brake oil
960 - Coolant
1919 - Air filter
5674 - A/c filter
5544 - Fuel filter
1336 - Fuel hose
300 - Clips
80xx - Brake pads

Total? A cool 38,300.

GTO
Hey GTO,

these guys are insane.

Dealers love charging for excessive service, whether its needed or not. I took my sister's accord in once for a routine oil change at the dealer and they had these booklets printed up regarding maintence schdule. You know the type "change this", "change that", "check this", etc...

It was funny because most of the stuff on their list was not what honda recommened, as per the accord's owner's manual (EVEN when going by honda's "SEVERE" maint. schdule). So, don't go by what they tell you, look at your owner's manual and see what is exactly required to be changed at your milage. And tell them to service just that ! They can't void your warranty for doing just that.

Most likely all you need is an oil change, and maybe a coolant flush (if even that).
VTEC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 00:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys bottom line.... GETTING RIPPED UNDER THE NAME OF THE TRI POINTED STAR!!!
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2004, 01:38   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Most likely all you need is an oil change, and maybe a coolant flush (if even that).
Yes, the thing is that I am really hard pressed for time right now. But my folks are off for a long holiday in 10 days and the cars will pretty much be lying idle down the house then.

Thats when I am going to take the C down personally to Auto Hangar and list all the things that need to be done ONLY according to Mercs schedule (the minimum I need to do to keep my warranty intact)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Dealers love charging for excessive service, whether its needed or not.
Well, let me tell you this. Auto Hangar started as only a Merc service station back in the late nineties, and today has a premier Mercedes Benz showroom. How do you think that happened?

But let me also add that the customer service at Auto Hangar is beyond exemplary. Their customer service execs, especially the one who attends to my car - Mr. Nishant Savant, really knows his cars and will always put your demands over Auto Hangars. I have yet to hear a "NO" from them....You can understand that being a car guy, my list of jobs to be done will be significantly longer than others. Still each and every small thing is attended to with a smile.

GTO
Old 6th May 2004, 13:22   #30
BHPian

thts bull shit..35k..it sucks man
fonsi is offline   Reply With Quote