Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th September 2017, 08:55   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxsend View Post
Oh shucks, that bad ? Whatever happened to all that German reliability i wonder. On a side note, are the BMW's or the Merc's an easier bet to maintain once they age a bit (7 years plus) ?
With my experience I would say BMWs are a bit more reliable. Try and find an E60 5 series from 2007 onwards. I had one for 8 years and it was quite reliable
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:55   #92
GRV
BHPian

Hi Friends
I have to get break pads of my c class (2012) model changed. Dealer is quoting 42,000. Independent garages are quoting around 15,000 with Brembo brand. I received some recos in other threads about Krishna Garage in CP and Pandit and company in Okhla

If I have to choose between the two, whom would you recommend . my criteria are :
1. Genuineness of break pad used
2. Quality of work (to avoid recurrent revisits) & technical know how
3. Customer responsiveness & attitude towards customers (friendly vs. arrogant)

If you have experience and you have heard , please share with me for me to decide , thanks

Last edited by GRV : 22nd November 2017 at 16:56. Reason: spelling mistake
GRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:46   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi Friends
I have to get break pads of my c class (2012) model changed. Dealer is quoting 42,000. Independent garages are quoting around 15,000 with Brembo brand. I received some recos in other threads about Krishna Garage in CP and Pandit and company in Okhla

If I have to choose between the two, whom would you recommend . my criteria are :

If you have experience and you have heard , please share with me for me to decide , thanks

Try going to European Motor works (EMW) In gurgaon.

You can Google them and get a quote on phone too.

Owned by Jagat Auto guys at Khan Market, Delhi.

The use genuine parts.
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 16:27   #94

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have already changed my brake pads twice. It costed me around 18K for a pair. But after you get the indication, if you don't apply sudden brakes at high speeds you can easily drive around 1K more.

Both times when I got the brake pad warning, I was traveling to and fro via Ghats and I could comfortably make a 500 Kms trip after warning.

Till now my experience with Sundaram Motors (Bangalore) has been good . They are more responsive and do explain the problems technically. They also give options and are ready to accommodate any changes that you suggest.

But I would suggest, do call up other authorised centers in your area and get the best quote. Any day using Merc Spare parts is better, as it is backed up by replacement warranty for production faults. Also do check your wheel discs - make sure they are not damaged. Using non standard brake pads might harm the disks which are more expensive to replace.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2018 at 08:58. Reason: Typos corrected
pdiw is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:23   #95
BHPian

Any idea on the service costs for the 10k service? The car in question is W205 C250d.
My car is due for service in 10 days.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi Friends

Just as a comparison, rear brake pads and discs of our Volvo XC 90 changed at 29000 kms. Cost INR 31,000. Pretty reasonable, i guess. The downside is that there is no brake pad wear indicator. The only way you can know your brake pads need replacement is when they start damaging your disc, and then it's already too late.

I mean, leave alone an electronic or sensor based brake pad wear indicator, the XC 90 does not have even a mechanical metal strip that rubs against the disc edge to let you know that the brake pads are about to give up

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 09:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Any idea on the service costs for the 10k service? The car in question is W205 C250d.
The first service bill of my W204 C200 was around 30k for the first service back in 2015. Expect it to be increased by about 10-15%. Mercedes service is expensive when compared to the others.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 10:10   #98

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Hi Arjun,
First get the details of work to be done from the executive. You can always postpone Air filter and AC duct related replacements. Ask them to just clean them.

Also check the Engine Oil and check the viscosity. This also you can always postpone by minimum 3 months based on your kms done. You can always change it when you want to visit the workshop again. The Labour is expensive for this small work of engine oil change, you can get it done again after few months. This will eventually add one more year to oil change when you complete 3 or 4 years.

Also Wheel alignment and balancing can be done from a reliable shop outside, this does not make much difference from showroom work.

Also check on the remaining work to be done from the estimate and you can always knock off interior cleaning , wind washer refilling and other things based on your simple judgement.

Hope this helps
pdiw is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote