Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd June 2004, 16:20   #1

hello sir.

i am looking out to replace my current esteem. it is a 95 model.
the replacement will be a second hand car.
i am confused between a honda city 1.5 , ford ikon 1.6 sxi and the mpfi esteem vxi.

i want a car that offers the best driving pleasure. it sould have really quick acceleration and good brakes as well. the drivers seating position should also be optimal( i test drove a palio 1.6 and the dash was too high with quite a few blind spots). and ofcourse the handling is of utmost importance.

i had read in an article that the ikon doesnt have the front stabilizer bar( or some bar) due to its higly stiff chassi and the torsional rigidity of its body. this greatly reduces unersteer. according to that article other cars had it. therefore i assume the city and esteem have it and that affects its handling.
but then again little knowledge is dangerous and i aint no expert.

so my confusion lies in the facts that the ikon can handle better than the city and also according to autocar the esteem outruns the ikon in acceleration and also is the most popular car on the rally circuit and that i guess could speak to an extent about its handling. but then again the city is also gaining prominence on the rally circuit as well.

so what should i do. which would be best suited for spirited driving on deserted city roads onec in a while?

or is there any other car which is better suited to my needs but i may have completely missed it out...... ( thought of the baleno but felt the above three were better. what do you think?)
SkylinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 16:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Skyline,

You have not mentioned a budget for your car, but looking at your choices - City 1.5, Ikon and Esteem, I think I can safely say that the Honda best suits your needs. Also, being a HOnda, it should not give you any trouble, even 2nd hand.

I woyld not recomend the Ikon as a used buy simply because I have heard unpleasant things about them when they age. Mainly to do with their engine.

The Esteem is complettely outclassed by all other cars in this segment, and many below it too!

However, a good buy would be a Baleno, and, as their resale value's are bad, that could mean a great deal! Plus, the Baleno has more room inside than the City. All the Baleno needs are a decent set of wheels/tyres and it can run with the best of them.

Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 16:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would say Only Honda City 1.5

No second' thought,s and hey Skyline im answerin this only if u remove the word sir from ur post lol

Have fun
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 18:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey Skyline,

I totally agree with Rtech.

Ikon - has bad brakes for the kind of driving u are looking at
Esteem - its old and if your worried about understeer (and braking to an extent) u can forget about this one!
City - Seems like your best choice from what u mentioned. Sharp steering and responsive brakes.
Baleno - this car seems to be more in the city VTEC territory if it has a good set of tires on from what i hear!(havent got the chance to drive one)
im guessing a vtec is outta your budget since u didnt mention it?

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 20:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

i havent driven the ikon much ,but the 1.6 was superbbbb.the handling was great.
the esteem is also good but then ,how can u compare it with a honda city.
i think instead of going for a used car ,u cud go for the base baleno with its reduced price.
just ignore the looks of the baleno.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 21:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

City is a good car and would be the best choice according to me.
If u r going for a Baleno, u'll need to replace the stock tires with broader ones.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2004, 14:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Go for a used City Vtec. There are plenty available in the range of 5 - 7 lacs, depending on vintage, registration and usage. It will keep you happy like no other.

If you must buy brand new, head to a Maruti showroom and pick up the Baleno.

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2004, 18:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

It would be wrong to compare the 1.5 against the Vtec. The Vtec comes with bigger wheels and a smaller aspect ratio which has helped it a lot as far as handling goes.

The Baleno is a good car provided it's shod with broader tyres.

Ikon......not really a driver's car if you ask me. It's peppy, but that's about it.

The Esteem though outdated and old fashioned, can take on bigger engined cars.

But i think the Lancer would be the best handling car but not a driver's car as it lacks power. Sadly the only Lancer with power doesn't come with a manual transmission.

Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote