Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd January 2008, 21:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

do you think its better than the prado?
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Montero has a pretty good package under the hood,and I believe it beats the Prado in many areas.
I've been in the 2001 Montero,and that felt quite crude. Ought to have checked out the 2008 Montero when I was at the dealership last weekend.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:03   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Much prefer the Montero to the Prado, and for reasons more than it being a diesel (versus the petrol Prado).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 08:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Much prefer the Montero to the Prado, and for reasons more than it being a diesel (versus the petrol Prado).

Yes but... at the price they are selling it at???? It too much for the car it is.
redcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:57   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcandle View Post
Yes but... at the price they are selling it at???? It too much for the car it is.
Agreed. Its atleast 5 - 6 lakhs overpriced.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 18:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Montero is VFM comapred to the Prado, the Prado is highly overpriced for what it offers and no diesel in the Prado?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 21:15   #52
BANNED

My God,

How many models of MitZ Montero comes out every year.

But still they are not able to solve the problem of excessive engine noise in the cabin,

Hope this would be the last of it.

Still a good SUV, And i agree its Day light HIGHWAY Robbery.

For me the BEAST is what your money can buy in INDIA and with 20% of the worth Montero , your Safari will have much more features Mitz motor can give.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 23:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me the BEAST is what your money can buy in INDIA and with 20% of the worth Montero , your Safari will have much more features Mitz motor can give.
But Safari can not come even close to the technology of the Montero, the go anywhere ability and the Mitsubishi quality.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 23:22   #54
BANNED

20% cost of Montero, you have an equally or maybe a better comfortable cruiser, agree it cannot match its technology,

The go anywhere attitude of the BEAST is known to one and all in the forum.

What will be the use of high end technology when your car breaks down in middle of nowhere,

Atleast the safari is locally servicable,With the network of service centres.

What will you do with a broken down Technologically advanced Mitz with handful of service centres.

I never intend to put the car down, i am only trying to say, there are other alternatives depending on you pocket which match the Mitz.

I know a person who owns a 2007 Mitz Montero. After having it for over a year, he still feels his Honda CRV was better value for Money.
Old 6th January 2008, 16:29   #55
BHPian

Pavan, cars over 20 lakh rupees offer diminishing utility when compared to cheaper alternatives. For instance, a 18 lakh rupee Honda Accord V6 offers 90% of what a 45 lakh Benz E-Class delivers. Such comparisons are pointless.

Quote:

I know a person who owns a 2007 Mitz Montero. After having it for over a year, he still feels his Honda CRV was better value for Money.
The '07 Montero started delivery somewhere in August or September. How has your friend already owned it for a year?
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 16:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
If you go to Mitsubishi motors US website, Montero is available for less than USD 35K. I understand the import duty of more than 100% but onroad price of 40L in India is close to 100K USD. This is either a major case of highway robbery or I am missing something.
Yes, what you are missing is, the fact that every single foreign branded car sold in India are priced in similar way.
Example, Corolla and Civic sells at around USD 30K in India, while in middle east its around USD 16K. Thats not only tax, but also overpricing and exploiting the brand popularity..!!!

And above all, there is no clear classification of types of cars in India, such as coupes / sedans / saloons with clear markets. The specifications and capacities are so wide ranged, that people could not really 'compare' the equals...
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:03   #57
BANNED

Have u checked with Mitz dealer here, when have they sold the Montero . Man light grammar mistake, I have said it was brought in 2007.

Talk to him, he feels its underpowered and makes a lot of noise,

I am not comparing cars here, i am saying INDIA has become a guniea pig for all such companies to stash cars for experimenting.

Montero is a bad SUV as per my views and being in a democratic country i feel my opinion as per me is right.

you have your own opinion,

You can count Monteros in numbers on your hand. so i think its better for me to stop discussing cars that dont sell well.
Old 7th January 2008, 23:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the Prado appeals more to me,than does the Montero.
True,that the number of Monteros on the road are way less than the Prados.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 23:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Have u checked with Mitz dealer here, when have they sold the Montero . Man light grammar mistake, I have said it was brought in 2007.

Talk to him, he feels its underpowered and makes a lot of noise,

I am not comparing cars here, i am saying INDIA has become a guniea pig for all such companies to stash cars for experimenting.

Montero is a bad SUV as per my views and being in a democratic country i feel my opinion as per me is right.

you have your own opinion,

You can count Monteros in numbers on your hand. so i think its better for me to stop discussing cars that dont sell well.
Is the one you are talking the DiD montero or the old Turbo Diesel one? The new one is way more silent and doesnt feel underpowered at all. I've driven it quite a bit and frankly there's no better, more capable offroader available in India.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 00:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Is the one you are talking the DiD montero or the old Turbo Diesel one? The new one is way more silent and doesnt feel underpowered at all. I've driven it quite a bit and frankly there's no better, more capable offroader available in India.
I see a lot of them on the roads in bangalore.. In fact more than the new CRV!
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote