Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: TATA's Rs 1 lakh Car: Yes or No
It will be a new revolution and will change the way we look at small cars and their usefulness. 239 64.42%
It would create chaos and we already have enough cars and we need alternate pblic transportation 74 19.95%
Its too early to predict anything 86 23.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2007, 14:58   #31
BHPian

I totally agree. I'd buy one for the wifey. With the CVT thing, she doesn't have to bother about the clutch and gears.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
its not just gonna be a poor mans car. think of people who are so used to driving or wanting to learn only geared cars, for them an automatic version of this car is a boon no doubt. and most people drive sedately for whom (like elders, housewives, etc) this car will be most apt. mileage also is gonna be good even for an automatic version, so if only tata sets up dedicated service centers for such small cars (to differentiate them from cabbies) it ll do lot of good to consumers and the company in the long run.
pradkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 21:19   #32

Well, Most of us crib about infrastructure when Tata plans to bring car of 1 Lac.

Do not who buy Maruti-800 to Merc add to infrastructure woes? Do we mean to say that lowest budget car is a mess while higher end ones
help eliminating them? Do they occupy lesser space or they are never a stress on our natural resources (fossil fuels or fresh air).

Friends, the way we like having a private space on road, its the same
for everyone who till now only dreamt of having a car.Tata's are doing
a social service in their business.

I feel , if infrastructure is a major concern for anyone, then let us first begin charity@home by not owning a car.

Just my 2 cents...

Shirish.
shirishindurkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 01:42   #33
BHPian

Yes, the people who are really worried about congestion, environmental damages etc should sell their motored vehicles and pedal their way to work or take public transport. It is always easy to preach than to follow.

Yes more vehicles on the road means more congestion and more pollution but then it doesn't have to be the 1 lakh car. A maruti 800 or a Mercedes create the same amount of pollution, if not more. Shouldn't we then ban all those cars and not just the cheap car? And if you think we should, what the hell are you doing on team-bhp.com?

Yes, a cheap car will see a rise in number of cars on roads but then it also means the sales of expensive cars will go down. The 1 lakh car will bring many bike owners in the four wheeler fold but at the same time it will take away many Maruti 800 owners too. So the net increase of cars on roads may not be that bad.

*End of sentences starting with yes*

Some questions:

1. How many units of 1 lakh car does TATA intend to sell? What would be the profile of the 1 lakh car buyer?
2. If it sells same numbers as Indica and Maruti, how is it different from selling more Marutis and Indicas?
3. When the 1 lakh car becomes available, do the nay-sayers foresee doubling of annual car sales?
4. If tomorrow BMW sells a car for 5 lakhs, would you protest?
6. How many cars/scooters/lorries do you own?
7. What is your carbon foot print?
8. If it is more than the 1 lakh car, would you trade it for 1 lakh car?
9. Are you an elitist?

Lets see some honest answers.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 01:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

I'm cheering for Tata on this one. When he started out, Maruti said it can't be done. Bajaj said it can't be done. Now they're both sweating bricks and trying to muscle in on the segment. I hope it revolutionalises the industry in India. It's already beginning to make waves in the US mainstream media -- I saw an article on MSN.com about it.

I'd still like to drive an RE RWD on a track! India's own little Porsche.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 01:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I'm cheering for Tata on this one. When he started out, Maruti said it can't be done. Bajaj said it can't be done. Now they're both sweating bricks and trying to muscle in on the segment.
I really really hope that this car does not create another segment like A-. Instead I hope it is in the Maruti 800 segment which acieves low cost by using innovative technology rather than skimping on safety features. So far I have heard that it has only about 10 welds in the car and uses CVT and a very good engine management.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 01:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well it's going to create a segment alright.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 03:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Really speaking I am skeptical as to whether the "1 lakh car" will replace the autos on the roads.
This car isnt realyl aimed at the rikshaw market. Tata already have their ACE based people carrier in that segment.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 07:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

To think it would lead to chaos and is not a good initiative is a scam.... I am sure if those who drive merc on this forum say that all those driving swifts, santros, altos, etc cause chaos and these cars should not be sold so that they can have the road for themselves. Of course that means less traffic, but at the expense of the freedom to travel freely and safety that comes with cars. I truly feel everyone deserves a car in India, and its not the manf but the govts job to provide infrastructure to keep up with it. Dont be mad at Tata, be mad at govt for milking us for taxes and providing us with shoddy roads.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:56   #39

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* Autos are loaded and then overloaded. If you see those share-autos they load at least 5 passengers and many a times even 6, besides the hanging driver. This is difficult to do in an enclosed vehicle. Not a very endearing feature for any autowalah.

Tata launches Magic and Winger

Magic and Winger are the new Minidors. With a turning radius of 4.3m, they are good enough for most small towns as well.

And four wheelers is inherently safer to drive, compared to a three wheeler that can't drive over potholes like four wheeler can (pothole between the axles). Only issue is Magic is overpriced - compared to an auto
hitanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 20:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

The sales of the good old maruti 800 just keeps falling each month ,this month it has just sold 6214 units.Initially yes the 1 Lakh car will have more than a few takers but is it sustainable in the long run and if there is too much competition[renault,other manufacturers] it could actually do more harm than good.Even with the 1 lakh car I doubt that every two wheeler owner will switch over so is there such a big market actually in the lowest segment.

Brings up the question as to would it be worth risking for most component manufacturers who are betting big time on volumes.For a powerful house like tata there would not be much of a financial crisis but these suppliers need huge volumes if they are to make any profit from the 1 lakh car.
Could be Something like the cheap airline business where they end up in the red and finally have to consolidate[be bought over by a larger group]for these suppliers.

This 1 lakh car is a bigger risk for the suppliers than the TATA group.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 01:08   #41
BHPian

If the 1lak car of TATA becomes a success , then can our roads take the load? Consider the roads of mumbai , chennai and bangalore ..........................consider the amount of Pollution ?
AUTO_CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 02:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
If the 1lak car of TATA becomes a success , then can our roads take the load? Consider the roads of mumbai , chennai and bangalore ..........................consider the amount of Pollution ?
Consider places where there are roads but not enough transport. Think of how people lead their lives. I think this affordable car has the potential to change the landscape. Lets wish it luck, and wish all others who criticized this car while inception, but are now thinking of joining the bandwagon to reap the benefits of the risk Tata is taking.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 12:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This 1 lakh car is a bigger risk for the suppliers than the TATA group.
AS pointed out these suppliers have more to lose than tata,now all are in panic mode

Quote:
Tata Motors’ recent move to cut orders from suppliers of its existing commercial vehicle and passenger car segment by about 20-30% has created panic among component suppliers on the company’s much-awaited Rs 1-lakh car.

According to auto industry sources, vendors and suppliers for the small car project have asked for a minimum fixed quota of supplies or price increase in case of a reduced offtake. The suppliers have reportedly sought a minimum volume of supplies.
“The reduction in supply orders for the current products has hit the component industry. Any such changes in supplies for the high-volume Rs 1-lakh car could severely impact our profits. Vendors are investing heavily in the tooling and other manufacturing processes, targeting huge orders. Some guaranteed component supply or price assurance have been taken to meet any eventuality,” said one component supplier for Tata Motors.

“It is a very competitive segment and any change in the supply equation would impact costs and jeopardise our operations. It’s a volume game for us to survive and we don’t want negative margins,” said another component supplier.
Source:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2219120.cms
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 20:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is infact good, no way else the suppliers will be prevented for taking quality for granted.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 01:47   #45
BANNED

hey guys, i don think it wud be a viable option, its gonna add to the misery already caused by so many cars on our roads. it wud create more chaos, on our already jam packed streets.
sanchits is offline   Reply With Quote