Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 16:07   #181
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,375 Times
Default

I agree that both cars are similarily priced here even when one is a CBU and other CKD. But guys have a look at the specs.

Mitsu have given an equally priced car with a higher level of spec. At this price point the buyer expects these high end features. The CR-V 2L 2WD does not sell as much as the 2.4L one. The Passat sells mainly the DSG S one compared to base model. The jetta's highest sales are from the comfortline rather than the trend line.

Add up the xenon's, selectable 4WD, Rockford Fosgate ICE, keyless remoteless entry, 6 speed AT with paddles compared to 5 speed CRV AT, parking sensors, electrically foldable rear seats, bluetooth audio streaming and larger interiors. The above is just the extra features compared to the CR-V's. The difference between the prices is smaller but what your getting is not.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 16:47   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Agree 100% with vid6639.
With all these extras loaded on to the SUV, and the Mitsubishi's Legendary off-roading-cum-rallying build to go into this machine, it beats CR-V on any grounds by far... If someone would buy CR-V for what it has, he should close his eyes and put his thumb on this masterpiece.
I think Mitsu has done thr sensible thing this time (for a change, of course), to load it with all the fancies and price it just around the CR-V.
Imagine, Mitsu strips off all the goodies and prices it around 19+ lac,s it can run the race alone, with no slot to fit in...

Let us watch what happens in the market. Only hitch (once again) is the HM connection. However, it looks Mitsu ths time wants to project their japanese image, rather than riding on HM's Marr-keting strategies... (if the teaser ads on TV are any indication).

----> I am off to Maya Motors to see if they have a sticker that says "My next Car - Outlander"

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 8th October 2008 at 16:49.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 18:13   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Agree 100% with vid6639.
With all these extras loaded on to the SUV, and the Mitsubishi's Legendary off-roading-cum-rallying build to go into this machine, it beats CR-V on any grounds by far... If someone would buy CR-V for what it has, he should close his eyes and put his thumb on this masterpiece.
It is a great product which benefits from the rallying and offroading heritage. However in terms of overall refinement and driving dynamics it is rated few notches bellow CRV. Even the short drive report from Autocar suggests the same. So it may not be such straight forward decision
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 23:24   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
AMATMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore\GOA
Posts: 1,456
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
You are right!
They may think for 30L there is no SUV and no competition, so they can sell more.
well ,there they have to compete with montero and prado
so they might fail there aswell

unless the vw brand gets the preference

Last edited by AMATMO : 8th October 2008 at 23:26.
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 00:40   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I
Mitsu have given an equally priced car with a higher level of spec. At this price point the buyer expects these high end features. The CR-V 2L 2WD does not sell as much as the 2.4L one.
I agree with the rest of your post but I would question this assumption about 2L. I thought 2L 2WD sells more than 2.4L.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 08:42   #186
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,375 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I agree with the rest of your post but I would question this assumption about 2L. I thought 2L 2WD sells more than 2.4L.
I asked Dakshin honda as well as Whitefield Honda. I was interested in the 2L CR-V. Both the dealers don't have a TD car.

They said the 2L does not have much demand compared to the 2.4L so it was not feasible to keep a TD car just for the low sales.

I have seen only 1-2 2L models, usually I see only the 2.4L on the road hence this assumption.

I don't have sales figures so I can't be certain.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 12:41   #187
BHPian
 
GTO - Touring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 713
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
and the Mitsubishi's Legendary off-roading-cum-rallying build to go into this machine, it beats CR-V on any grounds by far
Don't place blind belief in marketing talk. The Outlander has none of the legendary rallying / offroading capability. It is a soft-roader built on the Lancer platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I agree that both cars are similarily priced here even when one is a CBU and other CKD. But guys have a look at the specs.

Mitsu have given an equally priced car with a higher level of spec.
Very true. The discerning Indian customer wants bells & whistles in his 20 lakh car. HM is smart to have equated their import duty advantage toward a better level of trim. The CRV, as good as it is, has always been overpriced. And the Honda is sure to take a beating. The Captiva too has played its diesel trumpcard well against the CRV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
They said the 2L does not have much demand compared to the 2.4L
I'd be surprised. The CRV 2.0 ought to sell more since it looks identical and has about the same level of trim as the 2.4.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 01:36   #188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore / Manila
Posts: 121
Thanked: Once
Default

Vid is right in his assessment that Outlander is more and better car than CRV. While Honda brand may still pull CRV for some more time, Outlander is slotted just there to kill it. Not sure how many in India check the engine cc and the power but these are 2 specs I always check first. Go to carwale.com, compare CRV AT with Outlander and you'll know what I am referring to here. With so much more in terms of bells and whistles, Outlander is a hot car.

Somebody talked about Tiguan. Well it is not yet in India. Going by how they have fared with Passat and Jetta, Volks is already doomed in India, sad though. Jetta diesel ( cousin Laura as well ) produces 105 bhp and it is a shame. Vernas and Fiestas and SX4s at half the price of these cars do better on power. Are Passats and Jettas stunner by their looks, my personal opinion bore and meant only for 50+ oldies. Well well, Mitsu is at least doing better than Volks in India. So much for the Volks global leadership.

As for Captiva, diesel option gives it an edge but that is it. GM is yet to click with their SUVs in India, remember Forrester.

Is anybody still talking of "Grand Pitaara" Maruti should make tin boxes only.

Outlander should change Mitsubishi's fortunes in India and I wish them the best.
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 02:02   #189
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
Is anybody still talking of "Grand Pitaara" Maruti should make tin boxes only.
Ah! So that explains your ignorance. Maruti doesn't make any Grand Pitaara or even Grand Vitara which well respected on this forum. It is a CBU from Suzuki.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 10:30   #190
srh
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 339
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah! So that explains your ignorance. Maruti doesn't make any Grand Pitaara or even Grand Vitara which well respected on this forum. It is a CBU from Suzuki.
Maruti and Suzuki are the same. MSIL is now a subsidiary of Suzuki with Suzuki holding more than 50% stake and having complete management control
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 10:44   #191
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default

What I meant to say is GV is not locally made, so there is no Maruti hand in it. We all know that QC in Maruti-India is not the same Suzuki-Japan. Anyway, this is all OT, let's bet back to Outlander and it's competiton.

The current GV is not an Outlander competitor, not when Outlander costs 40% more in ex-showroom price. Therefore, I do not understand why Chat goes on comparing a 17.1L (OTR) GV to 24.6L (OTR) Outlander. If he is so keen, let him compare it with the new 2.4lt GV that will be released soon.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 11:38   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
Ym-enjn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,039
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat View Post
Vid is right in his assessment that Outlander is more and better car than CRV. While Honda brand may still pull CRV for some more time, Outlander is slotted just there to kill it. Not sure how many in India check the engine cc and the power but these are 2 specs I always check first. Go to carwale.com, compare CRV AT with Outlander and you'll know what I am referring to here. With so much more in terms of bells and whistles, Outlander is a hot car.

Somebody talked about Tiguan. Well it is not yet in India. Going by how they have fared with Passat and Jetta, Volks is already doomed in India, sad though. Jetta diesel ( cousin Laura as well ) produces 105 bhp and it is a shame. Vernas and Fiestas and SX4s at half the price of these cars do better on power. Are Passats and Jettas stunner by their looks, my personal opinion bore and meant only for 50+ oldies. Well well, Mitsu is at least doing better than Volks in India. So much for the Volks global leadership.

As for Captiva, diesel option gives it an edge but that is it. GM is yet to click with their SUVs in India, remember Forrester.

Is anybody still talking of "Grand Pitaara" Maruti should make tin boxes only.

Outlander should change Mitsubishi's fortunes in India and I wish them the best.
I second your voice. Couldn't have expressed my thoughts better than this. The best point is Mitsu has given a better product and have priced it at par with Indian price conditions and yes much better than VW.

The only thing I don't agree is about GP or GV. I am not a big fan of GV but its price is good and another big factor is the SATISCAFTION of current owners. On reading on T_BHP I feel that GV owners are much much more satisfied then owners of CRV or any other premimum SUV. Its almost equal to a crime to speak against GV here.

Mitsubishi has always been popular in India, remember the brand value Lancer had in early years, city was no where close to that. Hope Mitsu get things right and back on track.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 11:47   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Outlander is no doubt a nice car but if it has to beat the CRV it will be with it's features list rather than on quality front.
There is a nice review on Mitsubishi Outlander Review | The Truth About Cars

Some highlights:
Clearly, Mitsubishi decided to go down the high content route for their latest foray into Crossover County. Even the base Outlanderís luxurious velour-trimmed body huggers are a welcome surprise at this price point, providing all-over comfort for humans both large and small. (Guna:not everything is applicable for Indian version)

Much like the omnipresent road noise at highway speeds, the Outlanderís dynamic bits get old in a hurry. While Mitsubishi touts "rally inspired control and fun unheard of in a family vehicle," the rally involved must have been political and the fun in question has a lot more to do with scaring kids than thrilling adults. Any off-roading more ambitious than an unplowed driveway is equally off limits.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 13:02   #194
BHPian
 
BikerSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai, INDIA
Posts: 374
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What I meant to say is GV is not locally made, so there is no Maruti hand in it. We all know that QC in Maruti-India is not the same Suzuki-Japan. Anyway, this is all OT, let's bet back to Outlander and it's competiton.

The current GV is not an Outlander competitor, not when Outlander costs 40% more in ex-showroom price. Therefore, I do not understand why Chat goes on comparing a 17.1L (OTR) GV to 24.6L (OTR) Outlander. If he is so keen, let him compare it with the new 2.4lt GV that will be released soon.
where did u get this info from? - about the launch of the 2.4GV.

When is it expected?
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 13:16   #195
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore / Manila
Posts: 121
Thanked: Once
Default

I know for sure that Grand Vitara shouldn't be compared to Outlander as the price points and segment are different. I do not remember exactly though at what price Grand Vitara was launched 3-4 years back and how much they slashed it to push the sales.

Anyway, I do not pick Grand Vitara but I am picking on Maruti. A lot of folks here curse HM and ignore the fact that Maruti is no different.
When it is HM - Mitsubishi combo, HM gets booted but when it comes to Maruti - Suzuki combo, Suzuki is great. This double standard is wrong as in India hardly any of their products compete with each other and worldwide Mitsubishi commands better respect & sales than Suzuki.

Maruti Suzuki is in volumes games and leader of lower segment of the market. And that is it about them.
Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander Facelift launched powercrzy The Indian Car Scene 133 26th May 2017 16:43
Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014 JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 13 19th August 2013 01:15
EDIT: Now Launched :All New Honda city (Indian version)-full specs & features . sidindica The Indian Car Scene 670 21st May 2011 03:51
Quest of Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero. EDIT:Settled for Outlander AlokSriva SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 28 1st July 2010 12:52
Mitsubishi Outlander launch invite for CHN BHPians Edit: NOW HYD on Oct 17 Vid6639 The Indian Car Scene 7 16th October 2008 13:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks