Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 11:24   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default Bargaining on new car purchases in India

I'm going to buy a new car, and I've been researching the methods that car salemen use. The links are below, and they are very interesting.

One of the methods recommended to fight back is to solicit bids from multiple dealers, preferably by fax. After you get the lowest bid, you give all a chance to beat it.

A few questions/comments:

1) Bargaining- I was told that dealers in India don't entertain bargaining on price. The reason given is that the company feels it would be hurting it's price/brand in the market. Is this true? It would seem strange since bargaining is such a part of buying anything else in Indian life.

2) Accessories- If they won't bargain on price, what about accessories? I.e., don't cut $30k off the price, but give it to me in accessories. But I was told that even if you get the salesman to do that, when it comes time to drive off they'll present you with a bill. You'll go to the agency owner, and then it becomes a he-said, she-said where nobody will take responsibility for saying that the customer is to get X accessories free.

I suppose one way to fight this would be to get a bill in hand for $1 for all the accessories.

3) Four-square- The article on the "four-square" is very interesting. Basically, you ought to be focusing on the price of the car, but salesmen make you look to the monthly payment, which may end up making the total amount paid over time huge.

4) Invoice price- Finally, there's the concept of "invoice price" paid by dealer to the manufacturer. How can we get the invoice price in India? Smart people in the West try to pay a few hundred over invoice. Could you even get the dealer to show the invoice in India?


Links:

Dealerships Rip You Off With The "Four-Square," Here's How To Beat It
http://consumerist.com/consumer/four-square/dealerships-rip-you-off-with-the-four+square-heres-how-to-beat-it-248445.php

Confessions of a Car Salesman
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

http://www.cartransportcentral.com/

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

http://www.insidercarsecrets.com/buynew.html
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Related Article:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ance-deal.html (ARTICLE: How to get the lowest EMI & the best Finance Deal)
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 18:49   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default

I appreciate the link, but a lower EMI is exactly what I am trying to avoid. That's how they trick you.

If you go in and say you need an EMI of 7500 rs. per month, they'll give that to you. But with possibly high interest and longer loan term, plus no break on the price of the car. So it's a lower monthly, but much more overall.

However, I want to ask about getting the best cash car price.

Has anyone solicited bids from multiple dealers? By fax? If so, how did it go?
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 18:56   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

I couldn't get it through fax but got their (two different dealer) hand written pricing with accessaries. Also, I defined term and loan amount and requested for the EMI. This way I know what I am paying for.
vanchi_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 23:14   #5
BHPian
 
ankit.jhamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new delhi
Posts: 574
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i dont think there is any problem in bargaining before buying the product .....because you may get a good deal by bargaining with different dealers ...
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 23:34   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
2) Accessories- If they won't bargain on price, what about accessories? I.e., don't cut $30k off the price, but give it to me in accessories. But I was told that even if you get the salesman to do that, when it comes time to drive off they'll present you with a bill. You'll go to the agency owner, and then it becomes a he-said, she-said where nobody will take responsibility for saying that the customer is to get X accessories free.

I suppose one way to fight this would be to get a bill in hand for $1 for all the accessories.
I got the list of free-goodies given by the dealer written in the invoice while making the down payment (actually they had a column for this). This is useful for us and also to them to track their promises.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 01:01   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Lot of the points in the links are not applicable in India. Firstly there are not many number of cars sold. Secondly the ex-showroom price of a car is fixed. Agreed that one can work up the accessories bit, but then with absence of Multiple dealers for the same brand in a few cities, theres hardly anything to baseline expectations on. Moreover salesmen in the car dealerships in India dont make much money, so it does not even feel right to take it from their kitty.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 10:46   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Lot of the points in the links are not applicable in India. Firstly there are not many number of cars sold. Secondly the ex-showroom price of a car is fixed. Agreed that one can work up the accessories bit, but then with absence of Multiple dealers for the same brand in a few cities, theres hardly anything to baseline expectations on. Moreover salesmen in the car dealerships in India dont make much money, so it does not even feel right to take it from their kitty.
Is the price of the car fixed by the manufacturer? I.e., do they prevent the dealer from discounting the price by contract? That's probably what they would like you to think, though some have mentioned cases of discounting above.

It's true there are few cities with multiple dealerships, but if you take the region you live as a whole (i.e., "North India"), the savings you could realize might more than pay for 1-2k rs. of petrol/diesel.

As far as salesmen, I hadn't thought about what they are making as much as what the dealer is making. If, by chance, I don't buy from the salesman who gave me a test ride, I'll send him a gift certificate for a hundred rupees in fruit so that I can save tens of thousands of rupees on the price.

Moreover, with the fax bid route, it's hardly more than 15min. of their time to fax a quote over, so I'd say a reduced amount of compensation is plenty.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 12:03   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 208
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Here is the method I employed when I bought Baleno in 2005. I did not opt for loan and did full down pament.

1. Go to "Dealer 1". Get the quote price.

2. Copy the quote on another sheet of paper but reduce Rs 8 - 10k in it. Lets call this "Quote 1"

3. Go to "Dealer 2". Show him "Quote 1" and get a lower quote, "Quote 2".

4. Copy the quote on another sheet of paper but reduce Rs 3-5k in it to get "Quote 3".

Repeat the above process to get the least price desired. I managed to get Baleno LXi @ Rs 5.57 OTR in Delhi.
shobhit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 12:08   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15 View Post
Here is the method I employed when I bought Baleno in 2005. I did not opt for loan and did full down pament.

1. Go to "Dealer 1". Get the quote price.

2. Copy the quote on another sheet of paper but reduce Rs 8 - 10k in it. Lets call this "Quote 1"

3. Go to "Dealer 2". Show him "Quote 1" and get a lower quote, "Quote 2".

4. Copy the quote on another sheet of paper but reduce Rs 3-5k in it to get "Quote 3".

Repeat the above process to get the least price desired. I managed to get Baleno LXi @ Rs 5.57 OTR in Delhi.
By the way this is the exact way i assembled my PC in Nehru Place, but i doubt this will work with cars.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 12:32   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 208
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
By the way this is the exact way i assembled my PC in Nehru Place, but i doubt this will work with cars.
Yes, it really does work.
shobhit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 10:24   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default 15k discount off of Innova list price

What I find interesting is the variation in stated prices by the dealers. It's one thing to have a dealer discount a price, but I'm just talking about the "list price" for the dealer.

For example, if you go to the Innova price list at

http://toyotabharat.com/inen/forms/pricelist.asp

and find Galaxy Toyota in Delhi, you get

VM 2.5 VM (Diesel) 7 1,046,820
2.5 VM (Diesel) 8 1,050,830

But if you click Uttam Toyota (Delhi), you get

2.5 VM (Diesel) 7 1,031,310
2.5 VM (Diesel) 8 1,035,290

That's a Rs. 15k difference!

Can anyone confirm that this is the price that Uttam gives before any negotiating?
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ebay 4th birthday - Free gifts on purchases. emkay456 Shifting gears 1 26th March 2009 14:06
Site For Japanese Car Auctions / Purchases S600BENZ The International Automotive Scene 14 4th March 2008 10:02
Help in Bargaining cruisecontrol Hatchbacks 10 27th January 2006 05:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks