Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 18:33   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
IF Tata can take care of the glitches in the earlier Indica I am sure they can give Swift a run for the money.
If they are using same 1.3 Fiat engine then I don't think they will face big problem.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 18:43   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
If they are using same 1.3 Fiat engine then I don't think they will face big problem.
Engine is not the only component in the car. I do not think Tata engines have been unreliable so far. It is just that they were not able to put the car together as well as other manufacturers did. But, from various reviews in this forum itself, the latest lot of Indi* were much better than the earlier ones in terms of quality.

I hope the new Indica will up the quality levels further.
deepakhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 19:21   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I hope the new Indica will up the quality levels further.
Don't know about the quality levels but the design levels are definitely coming down :
  1. Instrument cluster is in the centre of the dashboard, not where it should be. Reason: To reduce manufacturing cost. You make do with the same dashboard for all markets, including left hand drive ones. Tata saves on the cost of additional dies.
  2. Only one wiper on the windshield. Reason: lower cost
  3. Independent rear suspension given up in favour of less sophisticated, twisted beam set up. Reason: lower cost
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 20:41   #139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Guragaon
Posts: 173
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Not sure about suspension part read somewhere that non - independent suspension gives better packaging for hatchbacks
amit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 00:03   #140
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: India
Posts: 360
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I think there will be two sub-types of the new-all-new Indica:

One with Fiat diesel engine, the other with TATA's desi engine. Couldn't care less about Petrol/Gasoline engine.

And of course they will likely retain the present generation Indica for VFM types.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 19:13   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

Though the Tata's will certainly have to improve the quality of their vehicles , they would have to work on the public perception as well.

The swift has been reported to have problems with the clutch conking off in less than 20 K Km anut d even then there is a big queue to by the car. A tata product on the other hand is rubbished by people who have never owned the products but paased the verdict on the basis of a couple of taxi rides.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 23:13   #142
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 545
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
  1. Instrument cluster is in the centre of the dashboard, not where it should be. Reason: To reduce manufacturing cost. You make do with the same dashboard for all markets, including left hand drive ones. Tata saves on the cost of additional dies.
I guess the dashboard cannot be the same even if the instrument panel is moved to the centre. The glovebox, space for co-driver airbags etc. would still be uniquely placed as per the LH or RH requirement. wont they?
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:37   #143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
I guess the dashboard cannot be the same even if the instrument panel is moved to the centre. The glovebox, space for co-driver airbags etc. would still be uniquely placed as per the LH or RH requirement. wont they?
you are right. If TATA is thinking to buy LR etc, they are definately serious to improve quality of their cars.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:30   #144
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 115
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I think there will be two sub-types of the new-all-new Indica:

One with Fiat diesel engine, the other with TATA's desi engine. Couldn't care less about Petrol/Gasoline engine.

And of course they will likely retain the present generation Indica for VFM types.
It seems that Desi Engine new Indica X1 will be launched early next year and the Fiat engine will debut after 6 months or so. The new car will be unleashed in Jan Auto Expo.
naughtyfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:45   #145
SUV
BHPian
 
SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BLR
Posts: 256
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I saw this new Indica on X1 today. I have seen these cars in past but the difference I notice was change in head lamp and front design. This time I saw two new Indicas following each other. The head lamp was circular like Spark or Merc. Grill design is changed. Even taillamps design is changed.
And yes, there was absolutely no noise from engine while it was passing thru. Last time when it pass thru I could make it it's Indica. I think they might have changed engine , may be fiat one. One thing I must say, this car looks different from current one, it looks really big as well.
This might be the Hybrid Version undergoing test . They had plans of launching a "mild hybrid" (donno wat they mean by mild though) sometime in 2008....
SUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 14:42   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
I guess the dashboard cannot be the same even if the instrument panel is moved to the centre. The glovebox, space for co-driver airbags etc. would still be uniquely placed as per the LH or RH requirement. wont they?
That's not difficult at all. Glovebox and Co-driver airbag can be made interchangeable by keeping the space/cavity design identical.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 15:24   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 117
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Don't know about the quality levels but the design levels are definitely coming down :
  1. Instrument cluster is in the centre of the dashboard, not where it should be. Reason: To reduce manufacturing cost. You make do with the same dashboard for all markets, including left hand drive ones. Tata saves on the cost of additional dies.
  2. Only one wiper on the windshield. Reason: lower cost
  3. Independent rear suspension given up in favour of less sophisticated, twisted beam set up. Reason: lower cost
Can't comment on point 2 and 3, but I fail to understand how having a central console means a climb down on design levels.

I currently drive a Spark and find absolutely NO difference whatsoever in having a centrally located console (from adriving POV). And if this aids in cost reduction AND if it is passed on to customers, I see no harm in it.
CaAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 19:38   #148
BHPian
 
tushky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune/ Thermopolis
Posts: 937
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

got a chance to sit in This Beautiful vehile.. this car is HUGE from inside. it has got a BIG car feel. dashboard looks awesome. the digital display was blue, in another car it was red. dont know about dashboard quality because it was covered. but steering quality felt nice. rear seat is really like sofa. when i sat inside i felt like i am in Indiva. engine noise was same as Swift diesel. driver said that there is 1.2 Lit engine too. there were 3 car's. and only 1 car had single front Wiper. other were with double wipers..
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 20:07   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
safari_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bengaluru / Bagdal
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 377 Times
Default

That's great news. Guess you were not allowed to take pics
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 20:10   #150
BHPian
 
tushky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune/ Thermopolis
Posts: 937
Thanked: 588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
That's great news. Guess you were not allowed to take pics
yes.. actually i cought one pic from outside.. but not from inside..

but this is a worth wait car.
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Procedure for converting commercial vehicles to private vehicles honeybee Commercial Vehicles 19 16th September 2017 16:12
Update!!:Now with Pics (Pg 5):New Indigo / Indica being launched by 15th Jan 2007 Rahulk76 The Indian Car Scene 153 17th February 2007 00:03
Custom Code Remaps Available in Bangalore for 1.9TD, 2L Petrol, 1.8T & Others Psycho Modifications & Accessories 1 30th September 2005 17:25
Honda Engine Code ! Ford Rocam Technical Stuff 3 5th September 2005 05:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks