Chevy Magnum 216 73.72%
Skoda Octavia 77 26.28%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th August 2007, 14:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Skoda's response to the Magnum.

P.S I have done a high resolution scan, to read text please zoom in.
Oye Busa - the last line says - all offers are from the dealer. Guess Skoda is still sleeping.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 14:09   #92

Default Service Issues :As this is first diesel vehical.

Need to have service center review too(First diesel car from optra.Technical staff tode trained/Skoda line of diesel variant). Good car does not work with out service. I know about optra as i am having one(Find out your self) but does not know about skoda.

Last edited by Rtech : 17th August 2007 at 14:45. Reason: Do not quote entire post's in your your reply
arunyadav99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 14:39   #93
HSV
BHPian

Actually this is the single most reason that can put the spanner in the works for Chevy - Service issues!

My sister has an Opel Corsa 1.4 - great little car, even the FE part can be easily overlooked when one takes into consideration the quality of build and drive. However the only saddest part of the ownership experience is the BAD service.

She earlier used to take it to British Motors Co. (BMC) Work Shop in Connaught Place. When BMC closed down they leased their workshop to Triumph Motors. Now Triumph was a classic example of shoddy service. When she developed some problem in the car, they diagnosed it as some faulty part, charged a hefty sum for replacement, problem kept recurring, she kept taking it back to them, they kept fixing it and charging her.

Finally the last I came to know that Triumph Motor's has shut down. She next took the car to the Chevy workshop in Okhla. On checking her car they advised her that what Triumph did was a load of BS, they kept charging her but NEVER actually replaced the faulty part!!!

Now I am sure this problem is more dealer/workshop dependant. However these things tend to scare consumers and I am sure the next time she's in the market shopping for a new car she'll stay away from GM cars!
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 15:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

pretty cunning advertising by Chevy on Carwale.
I was just researching for the Octi, and this is what came up when I requested for an "instant Quote"

Last edited by madan80 : 5th November 2007 at 15:14. Reason: uploaded sharper image
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 15:54   #95
Team-BHP Support

Madan, i wouldn't go so far to say it as a cunning advertisement. but, its definitely very intelligent way of presenting an option.

Being in sales and marketing, i know thats how i would sell too
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit late. But right now I think I will go with the Chevy/Daewoo.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 09:50   #97
BHPian

For looks, Octavia has a better stance. Though its getting old.
Somehow even front of current Optra is looks very dull compared to the old one.

Looks apart, I think overall packagewise, Optra looks to be a better option today.

Anju
Anju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

A cousin of mine is coming back to India to settle down. She and her husband (in their 50s/60s) are looking for a comfortable vehicle, preferably sedan, preferably diesel, since they will be doing the Bangalore/Coonoor stretch fairly often with an odd trip to Cochin as well. They are looking for something around 12 lacs, the priorities being safety, comfort (will probably use a driver), reliability and cost of ownership in that order. German, Japanese, Korean, American doesn't enter the equation for them. Anything goes.
My suggestions have been the Optra, Octavia and maybe the Verna - the Optra scoring on comfort. (I have gone around only in the earlier petrol Optra, not the Magnum diesel, but I assume the dimensions/comfort levels are the same).
May I have your views please?
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

@ Wilful - The Magnum is very comfortable. And, very fast in a straight line. The suspension is very ride oriented. The top version has ABS and airbags.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 14:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

wilful - All Optra's launched in India have similar interior dimensions. Among the car you have listed i think the Optra makes the most sense. Go ahead and its a comfy car and wont let your cousin down.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 15:41   #101
BHPian

I have voted for magnum because its smoother and silent than octy...
saabasheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 18:33   #102

wilful if your cousin will employ a driver than optra is the car for him . octavia can never match the rear seat comfort of optra . the leg room in optra is way ahead of octavia
brar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 19:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Thanks very much all! You've made things amply clear - and confirmed what I thought originally. I'll wait for them to come down and then take the test drive. Magnum it will be!
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 00:37   #104
Senior - BHPian

Default Its Skoda all the way

I feel that Skoda is a better option because of its build quality. Build Quality is an issue with Optra since its lauch, and(build quality) is one of the reasons that Optra that started as Corolla competitor was left out to compete with City.

The other reason is Resale value. The resale value is better in the case of Skoda Octavia.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 01:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I feel that Skoda is a better option because of its build quality. Build Quality is an issue with Optra since its lauch
You got to be kidding right? Though the Skoda has quite good build quality, the Optra is not far behind, infact its got the best Build Quality Award for cars in India. I have a Optra, i can vouch for that.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote