Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 20:29   #91
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

I showed it to my uk & australian friends,everybody is suprised the way India is growing. Cheers to India.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 20:43   #92
BHPian
 
vabs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 551
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
on the other hand doesn't it look like a cheap imitation of the Hummer! I mean they could have finalized hundreds of designs that looked diffrent but why one that looks like a hummer!
Nop, IMO it looks better than hummer. Little crude may be, but still better than hummer.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 00:49   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i was studying the picture closely and i think you could be right. but i would like to wait for internal conformation if we do get any till then we can only presume.
the reason i feel it is a manual is because war cars were not made in automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
even the hummers used in the army are manual cars
. yes i know about mahindra's tie up for auto gear boxes for their export model pickups. maybe they did use it to power the axe. the pedal still comes from the scorpio.
will try getting information from the army itself. know an ex armyman.
hey speedy you said specifically that hummers used in the army are manual cars...I am talking about the hummer used by the US army not the indian vehicles...


[/quote] dinar i was talking about the indian army cars. could you show me one jonga or cj or any other small vehicle driven by the jawans. the axe could be an exception.[/quote]

what do u mean... Jawans do not drive jeeps in Indian army....all the driver assigned are, I believe are jawans....
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 15:15   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Mahindra's website doesn't mention it now but couple of years ago it had a mention of technical collaboration with Israel APV maker to make RAM 2000 for Indian Army. This might be the result of that collaboration.
Seems to be true. Even the name AXE is not original.

Pics of the original AXE, made in Israel, can be seen at Bharat-Rakshak.
Here's the link:

Bharat Rakshak Forum :: View topic - Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Visually, the Mahindra version looks identical to the Israeli one, except for the lights.

The wrong wiper direction also has an explanation now!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 16:04   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Freaking awesome, that thing will scare the hell out of the autorickshaws and the Cabs.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 17:31   #96
BHPian
 
abdul 65 amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brussels
Posts: 252
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

what type of engine is it going to have?so is the new Mahindra Axe a copy of an israeli car or a 100 % indian made?
abdul 65 amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 17:59   #97
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalyani, West Bengal
Posts: 444
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Looks like the rip off of the old Trax including the suspension.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 18:01   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdul 65 amg View Post
what type of engine is it going to have?so is the new Mahindra Axe a copy of an israeli car or a 100 % indian made?
Seems to be Indian made with design provided by the Israelis.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 18:14   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 213
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Rain in the OHC

Raid in your OHC!! Good luck my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
A few more..... i wish i could take one of these to the raid this year,but...i will be doing it in an OHC ;-)



bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 18:10   #100
BHPian
 
abdul 65 amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Brussels
Posts: 252
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

thanks for the information.when will they launch the car?
abdul 65 amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 18:49   #101
BHPian
 
dhirajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Just had a meeting with a getleman from Mahindra Defence Systems... will be going over to look at the construction facility of TheAxe on monday or wednesday. Meanwhile go to know a lot of things about the vehicle, especially the engine and drivetrain... cant reveal stuff yet, but pics and details will be in Autocar anniversary issue which hits the stands tomorrow. Cheers.

Arush

Arush,any updates??? did u go to the facility?
How much is it for?Whats under the hood?

Tel tel
dhirajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 23:55   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default

ok dear gents, here's the lowdown

Desi Humvee avatar is here-Q&A-News-Indiatimes Wheels
Desi Humvee avatar is here
Nandini Sen Gupta

[ TNN ]WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2007 05:21:50 PM


M&M Axe, custom-made for the Indian army is the local answer to the iconic Hummer Itís mean. Itís muscular. And itís capable of navigating just about any terrain. No, we arenít talking the Transformers here. We are talking the new Axe from Mahindra defence systems, the all-terrain vehicle custom-created for the Indian Army.

In a chat with us, Brigadier Khutub A Hai, CEO, Mahindra defence systems, spoke about the Axe; why itís better than a Humvee, and more.



Is the Axe a brand new platform? Has it been developed completely in-house?

The Axe was designed with help from an overseas designer. Itís an extreme terrain vehicle. Itís an absolutely new platform and it has been developed totally indigenously. Itís a light specialist vehicle developed for the Indian Army.

Is it only a soft top vehicle?
Itís basically soft top though we do have a hard top version too. It is custom built for the Indian Army.

Do you have the Axe in both petrol and diesel powertrains?
There are two versions. The petrol version uses a more than 4 litre GM Votec engine (which powers the Chevy Blazer) while the diesel uses a 2.7 litre Ssangyong diesel (which powers the Rexton). Itís an all-wheel independent suspension vehicle. The transmission system is a Mercedes Benz one. We have used top-of-the-line aggregates. Its USP is its suspension system which gives it extreme mobility. We have developed the petrol version for the special forces of a foreign country while the diesel one is for the Indian Army. The Axe is not cheap but it is competitively priced vis-a-vis the Humvee or Flier.

Have you forged sourcing arrangements with GM and Ssangyong? Will you replace the imported diesel engine with a Mahindra engine at some stage? Will this vehicle be launched in a civillian avatar as well?

We have an agreement with Ssangyong for the diesel engine. As for the GM engine, we will get that when we commercially produce the vehicle. The vehicle will come in a civillian version as well. We hope to have it on the road by 2009 with an automatic transmission. We will be strapping on a Mahindra diesel engine on it at some stage. We will homologate the Axe for the civillian market and before that we will enter the military version in the Dakar Rally in 2009.

So we will be able to buy a civillian version of this vehicle soon? Will it look different?

The civillian version will be homologated with styling and other changes. But it will use a Mahindra driveline. The basic characteristic of performance will be the same but the looks will be different like the Humvee and Hummer. The engine displacement will be lower and there will be cosmetic changes on the dash. But the suspension and platform will be unchanged. It will be only diesel and with automatic transmission. We will showcase it at the Auto Expo.

What kind of mileage does the Axe offer in its military avatar?

The diesel offers around 8-9 km per litre while the petrol offers 6/7 km per litre. It is a lifestyle product with extreme roading capability. The Axe has a payload of 120 kg with a 3500 GVW.

Will you export the Axe?

Yes absolutely. We will market it in Malaysia next year in its diesel version. We are looking at it globally. The first step is Malaysia, countries in Africa, Gulf, UAE and Jordan. The next stage is US debut in 2009. In all likelihood we will tie up with a global partner.

Are you investing in a new facility for defence vehicles?

Mahindra Defence Systems is setting up a factory in Faridabad with a focussed facility to make military vehicles ground up. We are investing around Rs 50 crore in it. It will be a first of its kind facility. We will do all vehicle armouring, up-armoured vehicles and the Axe at the new plant. It will have modern proto-shops, manufacturing capability and a test
track. It should be up and running by March 2008.

Is the plant part of a new strategy for Mahindra Defence?

We want to make a range of vehicles based on military platforms in-stead of using Mahindra platforms as before. We will use existing Mahindra platforms for existing products and use Axe for new products. The Axe versions will include high mobility vehicles and light armoured vehicles. We want to make the Axe the standard vehicle which will replace the
frontline jeeps.

Did AM General contact you for licenced production of the Humvee?

Yes they did. But itís good that we didnít go with a foreign company for licenced production. Our new product ties in with M&Mís global aspirations. We spent a modest $10 million on the Axe and we want to make a global product that we can sell in all markets.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 00:21   #103
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

[quote=lurker;547883]
Is it only a soft top vehicle?
Itís basically soft top though we do have a hard top version too. It is custom built for the Indian Army.

Hmm,I guess they will slowly come up with different version like the Hummer

Quote:
Do you have the Axe in both petrol and diesel powertrains?
There are two versions. The petrol version uses a more than 4 litre GM Votec engine (which powers the Chevy Blazer) while the diesel uses a 2.7 litre Ssangyong diesel (which powers the Rexton). Itís an all-wheel independent suspension vehicle. The transmission system is a Mercedes Benz one. We have used top-of-the-line aggregates. Its USP is its suspension system which gives it extreme mobility. We have developed the petrol version for the special forces of a foreign country while the diesel one is for the Indian Army. The Axe is not cheap but it is competitively priced vis-a-vis the Humvee or Flier.
Whoaw

Quote:
Have you forged sourcing arrangements with GM and Ssangyong? Will you replace the imported diesel engine with a Mahindra engine at some stage? Will this vehicle be launched in a civillian avatar as well?

We have an agreement with Ssangyong for the diesel engine. As for the GM engine, we will get that when we commercially produce the vehicle. The vehicle will come in a civillian version as well. We hope to have it on the road by 2009 with an automatic transmission. We will be strapping on a Mahindra diesel engine on it at some stage. We will homologate the Axe for the civillian market and before that we will enter the military version in the Dakar Rally in 2009.
So the military will be using a manual transmission while the civilian version will use an automatic

Quote:
So we will be able to buy a civillian version of this vehicle soon? Will it look different?

The civillian version will be homologated with styling and other changes. But it will use a Mahindra driveline. The basic characteristic of performance will be the same but the looks will be different like the Humvee and Hummer. The engine displacement will be lower and there will be cosmetic changes on the dash. But the suspension and platform will be unchanged. It will be only diesel and with automatic transmission. We will showcase it at the Auto Expo.
that's too bad...I still like the size and crude looks of the H1...hate the H2 & H3

Quote:
What kind of mileage does the Axe offer in its military avatar?

The diesel offers around 8-9 km per litre while the petrol offers 6/7 km per litre. It is a lifestyle product with extreme roading capability. The Axe has a payload of 120 kg with a 3500 GVW.
that's a killer mileage for such a giant of a vehicle...wow

Quote:
Did AM General contact you for licenced production of the Humvee?

Yes they did. But itís good that we didnít go with a foreign company for licenced production. Our new product ties in with M&Mís global aspirations. We spent a modest $10 million on the Axe and we want to make a global product that we can sell in all markets.
Dont tell me that Hummer will be manufactured in India?
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 13:27   #104
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

check out the video of the IDF AXE in this link

Well Mahindra is just the manufacturer of the IDF AXE (manufactured for the Israeli defence forces) and since the original vehicle is a LHD hence u can see that the Indian protos although RHD but have wipers set the LHD way...
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 13:41   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,402 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The transmission system is a Mercedes Benz one.
Thats it! I was right about the slush-box.

Quote:
The vehicle will come in a civillian version as well[/i]. We hope to have it on the road by 2009 with an automatic transmission. We will be strapping on a Mahindra diesel engine on it at some stage.
Mahindra has one potential customer ready right here. But why local engines for the civilian version?!! Go the entire mile and give us the 4 liter.

Quote:
The diesel offers around 8-9 km per litre while the petrol offers 6/7 km per litre.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Scoop - Tata Rival For Mahindra Axe - Autocar India!!!!! powertrain Commercial Vehicles 91 4th January 2014 10:59
Mahindra AXE kphilip The Indian Car Scene 2 24th September 2007 12:22
Team-BHP AXE effect sandeepmdas Shifting gears 1 16th August 2006 15:49
Axe Feather aah78 Shifting gears 0 13th April 2006 21:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks