Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th July 2007, 14:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What is the objective of the shaking??
How is it going to affect the car or FE??
Objective is to fill in more fuel, hence lesser trips to the bunk, more distance on a full tank on the highway.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 14:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the vehical is shaken to remove the air bubbles the air bubbles problems exist largely for older (carborator) vehicals it is not really true for MPFI vehicals mpfi vehicals suck the fuel using pumps so there is preasure built up during the running of the vehical giving very littel chances of air bubbles...
Not true, wagon r or most marutis for that matter and the nhc can take in a lot of fuel by shaking. The tank placement and design are the culprits.

We must also remember that the plumbing upto the tank can occupy a lot of fuel depending on length. The longer the filler pipe, more chances of airlock.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 17:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxima
Objective is to fill in more fuel, hence lesser trips to the bunk, more distance on a full tank on the highway.
Oh really! i didnt know that :P
Well, adding .5 or 1 litre to a 50 litre tank is gonna give u 1% more.
Is that significant??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 17:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

The fuel Autocuts way before, so instead of shaking just wait for 10 secs and fill again.

Nitrous : The 8055 - Not 1 liter, in the Optra around 15L more go after auto cut.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 17:57   #50
BHPian

I can fill about 2-3 litres in my Palio. I don't think that is very significant. But i must accept that i tend to do this when going on a long drive. Not sure how helpful it is.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 18:31   #51
BHPian

The office car driver always shakes the scorpio at the gas station and it is fun inside ...i mean as you sit lazily inside lost in some thoughts, it is good to be shaken up...and i almost always get a lazy smile on the face and feel a little consious if others are watching me smiling inside a shaky car... i can relate the feeling to the one of the camel rides (only the camel ride shakes you up front and back and this one is side ways)

My gypsy runs on LPG and shaking it only lets out more of my energy out rather than letting into it :-)

back to the topic; the driver tells me the same that most of you have written here, it lets the air out and more fuel in...
weejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
they shake the car to remove the trapped pockets of air inside and the amount of extra fuel u can fill depends on the amount of air trapped inside

for eg my optra magnum can fill in 12 to 13 liters of fuel after the auto shutoff
IMHO not possible. the only reason could be that the attendent puts the fuel in very fast. so the air trapped is immense. the fuel comes up & the sensor cuts the fuel flow off. then he fills at a slower rate & the tank takes in more. normally after auto cut off the tank takes in at most 3-4 lts. UNLESS there is some difference in the Magnum per se - though I doubt it

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 20:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

@ Ricky, Optra's tank is can take 65L of fuel, in Optra's the car auto cuts 12-15L before and then i too am able to fill more 12-15L, its a common thing with the Optra.

About the fuel attendant filling fast, there is nothing like that, he just puts it on auto and doesnot even touch it, but it stops on its own and i tell him to put more 10L atleast he is like
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 20:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Great guys, I took this Idea, yesterday my wife was compaining that my Daughter wasn't eating more, I guessed her tank must have filled up, so shaked her, and bingo, in went more food.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 20:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Great guys, I took this Idea, yesterday my wife was compaining that my Daughter wasn't eating more, I guessed her tank must have filled up, so shaked her, and bingo, in went more food.
Thats hilarious.....
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 12:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Fuel tanks should not be filled full (by shaking). There should be space for the fumes otherwise the fuel tank will burst.
How can fumes/exhaust gases enter the Fuel Tank?? . You mean through the small injector nozzle? Haha. If so, then how would you vent out those fumes? Through a Fuel Tank Silencer??
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 16:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
@ Ricky, Optra's tank is can take 65L of fuel, in Optra's the car auto cuts 12-15L before and then i too am able to fill more 12-15L, its a common thing with the Optra.

About the fuel attendant filling fast, there is nothing like that, he just puts it on auto and doesnot even touch it, but it stops on its own and i tell him to put more 10L atleast he is like

@ Busa
I understand what you are saying - there are 3 positions SLOW / NORMAL / FAST in the auto cut fuel dispenser. What I am saying is that the attendants usually use the fast mode for filling tanks. The meter shows more than the dispensed fuel that way. Just quit=etly notice this the next time you tank up.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 21:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
How can fumes/exhaust gases enter the Fuel Tank?? . You mean through the small injector nozzle? Haha. If so, then how would you vent out those fumes? Through a Fuel Tank Silencer??
Fumes = Petrol vapors, not engine exhaust.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 22:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I can fill about 2-3 litres in my Palio. I don't think that is very significant. But i must accept that i tend to do this when going on a long drive. Not sure how helpful it is.
I am sure it helps in checking if your suspensions are working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Should try that next time.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 10:56   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Fumes = Petrol vapors, not engine exhaust.
Oh! I didnt knew that!! Thanks (You should also be in Vapour state, right?, since you are mayavi)
777 is offline   Reply With Quote