Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which car would you choose?
Chevy Magnum 91 43.13%
Honda Civic 120 56.87%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th August 2007, 16:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

i would deffinately go with the honda civic. great looks features and a nice ride quality. i trust japanese cars more then the american
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 16:57   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its bulky and made keeping fat cheese-eating americans in mind.
Quote:
i trust japanese cars more then the american
No the magnum is not built keeping in mind Americans, infact its made keeping in mind VFMed Indians, this style of Magnum is only sold in India no where else and BTW if you dont know All Chevy Cars in India except the Tavera are made using GM-DAT technology and that is Korean not American.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 07:04   #63
BHPian

Have voted for the Civic as had gone yesterday for a test drive on the magnum, but the dealer response was pathetic, the didn't even have anyone to attend to us or even serve water ( excuse being sir peon is on leave).

I would rather prefer my honda civic any day, plus the car should have better resale value than optra any day!
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2007, 10:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hey Car Crazy, i had a test drive of the Magnum yesterday, the car came from 35kms afar for the test drive at my place 5 minutes before appointed time and waited for my arrival, So its not that the car is bad, service depends from dealership to dealership.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2007, 20:30   #65
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hey Car Crazy, i had a test drive of the Magnum yesterday, the car came from 35kms afar for the test drive at my place 5 minutes before appointed time and waited for my arrival, So its not that the car is bad, service depends from dealership to dealership.
Absolutely! There is no case of judging a car by the service a particular dealership is providing.. Change dealers I say!

The coming week is going to be a great one for me... Test driving both the Civic and the Magnum. Lets see!
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 14:22   #66

Angry Where is customer care

I don't agree with good after sales service. As new variant Technical staff is not ready for it(First diesel vehical). I had an experiance where tech staff does not know how to open front grill. Spares are not available for 20 days(headlight bulb busted on third day). Target date to get the part replaced given after mail to MD. 5th escalation.
Please do find out service in your area and take decision.I prefer HONDA as company first than vehical. Good vehical cannot perform with service.
arunyadav99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2007, 15:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
the civic anyday because it's a honda and not some korean dressed up like an american.

is it fair to compare a diesel car with pertrol car?
Definitely a CIVIC....I totally agree with Vishnu as its not some redesigned Korean car...its an innovative step taken by Honda to get something really out of the box. Whether its the exterior or the interiors, its done up really neat.
Now yeah if you look at the how efficient its compared to a diesel, its pretty obvious the diesel will win.
jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 14:29   #68
BHPian

Civic would be my choice anyday. Optra might be a VFM. But I run 600 kms a month and running costs are definitely not required. for me, CIVIC has it!!! Love the looks !!!
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 21:48   #69
BHPian

The moment i saw the poll my direct choice without thinking.....
Optra Magnum...
Why??
Im not a driver, havent sat in any of those cars mentioned....
But..
-Hondas are totally overpriced in India(Man they rip you off here)
I used to stay in Bahrain... Honda citys there have brand value of maybe an esteem in other words they are almost value for money...
Here they just rip you off with lower power also..Trust me i know cause my uncle here owns one and i definitely think its lower there but cant confirm...
- Its essentially Diesel vs Petrol so u'll obviously be smiling every time you see your fuel expenses and there is no dearth of power also....(300 nm of torque!!!)
-This last point is more of a matter of personal taste, i like understated looks more than out and out bling so here i preferably choose magnum..Love what they've done to that otherwise boring front of the old Optra.. Rear i liked anyways(No offense to present optra owners)
ashwinsaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 16:26   #70
BHPian

Hi guys
i bought a magnum not for its economy but it simply demolishes every car this side of the Honda Accord V6 in performance. It is an absolute rocket. Worst economy figures i've got is 12 in Mumbai(ok i was driving like there was a rally on), and the best has been 19 on the highway with a/c on the mumbai pune expressway. The civic is a good car too, but for some reason i'm not convinced. The dealers *** people are arrogant, the spares are too expensive(8 grand for a wing mirror as opposed to 3.5 for the optras?). Forget the octy 1.9 as well. 12 lacs and no ABS, leather, decent stereo or alloys? It might work in Prague, not in bombay

try the Magnum man. The engine is made with high quality components sourced from Germany and the suspension is sweet too. Everyone has a honda. Stand apart.

Last edited by ajmat : 26th August 2007 at 18:23.
sudarshansarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 18:25   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
Hi guys
i bought a magnum not for its economy but it simply demolishes every car this side of the Honda Accord V6 in performance. It is an absolute rocket.

Forget the octy 1.9 as well. 12 lacs and no ABS, leather, decent stereo or alloys? It might work in Prague, not in bombay

try the Magnum man. The engine is made with high quality components sourced from Germany and the suspension is sweet too. Everyone has a honda. Stand apart.

1: congrats -briefly drove one today - stonking torque

2: Works in Prague due to competitive proper pricng

3: I thought the engine comes from Isuzu
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 19:04   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

voted for the optra magnum...diesel power!!!i find it more luxurious,better ride quality.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 11:07   #73
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
3: I thought the engine comes from Isuzu
Hey Ajmat, correct me if I'm wrong but from whatever little I could gather after having read a couple of reviews on it, the engine comes from vmotori (or a name that sounds similar to it - can't remember exactly), an Italian engine consultancy firm.

regards
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 11:25   #74
BHPian

Voting for Magnum since I have one

Deepu
deepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 22:14   #75
BHPian

Hi dude, thanks for the good wishes
The engine is made by MV motori of italy which was bought by detroit diesel which GM bought for itself. The Octys in Prague have a 1.6 engine, are devoid of electric everything(mirrors, PW's etc etc). But yeah, the octavia costs an arm to buy and an arm and leg to run. A skoda dealer himself told me that dealers sometimes give ridiculously good deals on octys as he is sure to get 15-20 grand every 6 months from that car on routine service!!.

As corny as it may be i'm confident of Rs 26999 over 3 years/45K Km by GM. And whats better is if i spend more than that I get the difference bach which is cool!
sudarshansarma is offline   Reply With Quote