Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th July 2007, 18:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I think they need sulphur free diesel[I may be wrong].Also they did talk about fuel quality not being good enough here for their diesel range.
Honda is unwilling to re engineer their good existing diesel engines to suit Indian conditions. That will cost them. They want to get away with the lower cost and make us lap up whatever they offer. Every manufacturer has done enoygh reengineering to suit the Indian needs. So why not Honda?

Diesel mania is all across the place. Last year, diesels have outsold petrols in entire Europe. India is not far off with the latest craze in CRDi technology. Honda will simply miss the bus if they dont get their act together.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:02   #17
BHPian

Rant Warning, Hey mail4ajo I agree with you, Honda India and I specify India come off as consumer unfriendly in their products and pricing and a tad arrogant too.

This would not be so bad by itself, surely who are we to disagree with a company's marketing strategy and positioning, but for the fact that this attitude is limited to India and not its natural positioning in other markets ( I have lived in the US and UK intermittently) and would change in a jiffy were the competitive landscape more reflective of reality in global markets.

So this is nothing but being short term opportunism masquerading as premium branding. And they are going to have pricing and positioning problem in the segments as the market develops. As an informed consumer even though I may like their product I resent the feeling that I am being taken advantage of and so will look elsewhere just on principle, why can't the city have safety equipment and abs, why is the civic and crv overpriced in India? A market leader behaves with integrity in all markets and leads the market by delivering value. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:20   #18
BHPian

Yeah Honda is willing take a big risk by not doing anything about the competion from Diesel engines. Having said that, I don't see any reason for Honda to act faster. This is because of competition. Honda can get away with this as long the competition doesn't do anything significant. I see Toyota and Maruti-Suzuki companies Honda worries about. Toyota has lost its head in India and Maruti is busy with its small car business. Classic example is the big competition SX4 stinks when comes to delivery.
balaji_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Hope they give abs and airbags as standard in the new city and 4 wheel disc brakes
Am sure they have learnt their lesson on this one. They would definitely provide these albeit with a substantial increase in price. Not in the wildest of our dreams can we expect a car maker like Honda not to jack up prices when throwing a few new things in. They know for a fact that the Honda brand is worshipped globally and there are people at the end of the day to pay the price they put up !

A price hike will be inevitable, however the question is whether this would have a cascading effect on the other models esp the Civic which is next in line.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:27   #20
BHPian

Will there be any plan to have a good looking car ? I fear they will dump yet another dirty design with sloping nose and call it 'modern'. And we indians will buy it because it is a honda giving exorbitant sum.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 20:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

well,now that all manufacturers are going for tall body designs for their c-segment sedans,i think we can expect a similar design to the current City.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 20:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15 View Post
According to vendor sources, the new generation City will be strapped with a new engine which would be more powerful than the current V-tech engine. “The engine would be more powerful than the City’s current engine and would be churning out about 90PS (a German term used to denote vehicle power). It would also be high on fuel efficiency,” said the source.
90 PS and sill more powerfull than the V-tech???, AFAIK the V-tech has around 106ps engine.....
Am I missing out something??? (or)
Did I miss-undertood the german term ???
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 23:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
90 PS and sill more powerfull than the V-tech???, AFAIK the V-tech has around 106ps engine.....
Am I missing out something??? (or)
Did I miss-undertood the german term ???
90PS = 88bhp, there is a IDSi engine with that much power in the current City in Thailand.

106ps is not the current City, its more like 102.4PS = 100bhp. The Old Vtec was 106bhp.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 23:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
90PS = 88bhp, there is a IDSi engine with that much power in the current City in Thailand.

106ps is not the current City, its more like 102.4PS = 100bhp. The Old Vtec was 106bhp.
in that case its a typo by shobhit15:
Quote:
According to vendor sources, the new generation City will be strapped with a new engine which would be more powerful than the current V-tech engine. “The engine would be more powerful than the City’s current engine and would be churning out about 90PS (a German term used to denote vehicle power). It would also be high on fuel efficiency,” said the source.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 00:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Post the launch of Maruti’s SX4 in May this year, the market leader Honda City took a beating. Although the car has now reclaimed its leadership position ...
NHC has reclaimed it's leadership position? What's the basis of this statement?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 01:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ sid, there's a letter from honda which states that they are NOT going to launch a city version with airbags and abs, nor are they going to put the vtec engine in the gxi.(source autocar)
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 10:11   #27
BHPian

yes honda officials confirmed it was just a rumour , the next car (all new ,not a facelift) from honda is going to be it's small car by late '08 or early '09. i love the idsi engine in the city , yes it is not as fun as a fiesta 1.6 but as a city car it is fantastic , the steering is light & it goes till 150 without being breathless . Yes ,all auto mags say the fiesta is FTD yet it is the city that sells the most ,buyers want peace of mind, practicality , image , space - the city has it all.
skyline gtr r34 is offline   Reply With Quote