Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2004, 16:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

From the pic...the steering wheel, gear knob is of my..errrr the Indigo. Looks, well cant say until I see it in real!
Old 11th July 2004, 16:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

First thing these ppl have to realise that boxy designs are out of fasshion. This is also a problem with the Qualis, which has given it a "commercial vehicle" image rather than a family SUV/MUV.

The only SUVs i've seen being driven by a female are the Scorpio and Safari.

The TATA design team really seems to be suffering from lack of ideas. If they were really that talented they could have made the Indigo look soooo much better, rather than giving it a "Indica with a boot" image.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 12th July 2004, 14:07   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, the Qualis is actually an MUV and as it has proved, function counts far more than form in the highly lucrative MUV segment.

Tata has done a load of work under the hood of the Indigo to distinguish it from the Indica. They stuck to the same design for reasons of economy.

GTO
Old 13th July 2004, 00:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ July 12 2004,12:37)]Tata has done a load of work under the hood of the Indigo to distinguish it from the Indica.
U bet GTO... the indigo has loads of improvements under the hood compared to the Indica... u simply cannot compare both the engines even when they are basically same!!!
Old 13th July 2004, 03:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ July 12 2004,22:37)]Tata has done a load of work under the hood of the Indigo to distinguish it from the Indica. They stuck to the same design for reasons of economy.
I was refering to the design team and not the engineering team.

But, even if you look under the hood, what changes do you notice? R those changes actually helping the car?

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 13th July 2004, 13:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

hey i think tata shud stop manufacturing the sumo atleast till they get the new platform up and running. till then........

take the safari , plonk the sumo engine ( or keep the safari engine ) , strip it of luxuries ( to a permissible level ) ..rebadge it ..and throw it in the ring against the tavera,qualis,scorpio at a very competitve price.

wat say ? the safari looks much better , rides better ,handles better than the competition. the only grouse is power that can be upped.

cheers
Old 13th July 2004, 16:25   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]take the safari , plonk the sumo engine ( or keep the safari engine ) , strip it of luxuries ( to a permissible level ) ..rebadge it ..and throw it in the ring against the tavera,qualis,scorpio at a very competitve price.
Brilliant, you may have hit the nail right on the head with this suggestion. The Safari would require not-so-significant modifications to make it a simpler design - in form and function both. Stripping it down to the bare basics would bring the cost down tremendously. Tata has already fully depreciated the machinery and tools required to build the Safari.

If anything, this model could serve as a valuable stop-gap before an entirely new MUV platform is launched.

Tata would do well to read into this thread!

GTO
Old 13th July 2004, 17:16   #23
Team-BHP Support

Sumo sales have really all but extinguished recently. I remember the time where every second vehicle on the highway was a Sumo. Now its been replaced by the Qualis.

There is no way a Sumo with new headlights is gonna effectively compete against a Qualis or Tavera. The tourist taxi's are not interested in how it looks but how it goes. Further, if Tata think they can target the urban market, i'm afraid their marketing team has got their work cut out for them. Those days have long gone. Who in their right mind would buy a "Victra" for use in the City?

I think what NC mentioned about stripping the Safari was really one of the best idea's I've heard. It solves all their problems in the short term, giving them a breather to work ona good design for the new Sumo and Safari.

Rtech
Old 13th July 2004, 21:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Saw one today on road....trust me it looks sicker than the ad pic!
Besides isn't the Sumo Turbo running with the Safari powerplant??
Old 19th July 2011, 13:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata launches the Sumo Victa

Wow, am posting in a 7 year old thread!!!
BTW, just happened to see that the Indian website of Sumo Victa is so basic,doesn't work properly and doesn't show the Spacio variants.
While the international website of Sumo Victa is up and running flawlessly.
Closed Thread