Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st June 2004, 23:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

The traffic situation varies from city to city.
Most of you are from Bombay are having comments on bus and cab drivers.
By and large the situation in this country seems to have one common problem
or habit, whatever you like to call it. ITíS THE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY.
See how behaviour changes when somebody sitting inside a car/cab/bus/auto and when
heís on the road as a pedestrian. It is totally opposite. When he as a pedestrian crosses the road, it is the approaching car driverís duty to slow down or to stand on the brake. Why?
Because in this country it is the pedestrianís democratic right to cross a road from wherever he feels.
You get down from the car and shout at him. Nothing happens. He will continue to do the same thing. If you touch himÖ man, he will get hundreds from nowhere and prove a point very clearly.. You donít know how to drive and it is your duty to slow down when you see someone on your way. HOW CAN YOU STOP IF YOUíRE AT A HIGH SPEED? Well, thatís your problem. Donít you know that this country has much more population than it can handle? So itís pedestrianís birthright to share the road with you. You better be careful. Besides that where do you a see useable pavements?
Thereís something also what I label as reverse logic. For instance, you need to go somewhere and you know you canít make it if take your car. So you take an auto and he takes you there finding every single gap on the road. You reach your destination more or less in time and feel thereís nothing like an auto when it comes to badly congested traffic.
On the other side youíre one of those sitting inside the car and holding your breath, cause an auto guy is trying to negotiate an impossible gap between your car and the one beside you. Youíre feeling wonít be any less than getting down from the car and bash the shit out of that auto guy.
Things change drastically if youíre in the capitol. Iím yet to see (barring half an hour old from the showroom) any car without a scratch there. Once, my friend picked me up from the airport in his one month Baleno. We were talking shop, which got interrupted by a loud thud from the back. My friend didnít bother to get down to check and continued talking. According to him itís Delhi. After we reached I saw a massive dent on the rear bumper. He, however was extremely cool. Latest I heard, heís got a Grand Vitara to make his life little more cooler.
Next, are the two-wheelers. Essentially the bikes. There is a typical breed in Bangalore.
They carry some sort of back-packs, ride their 100ccs dangerously thinking theyíre on Ducatis and Suzukis of the world. They canít stop in a straight line especially in traffic light. Their favourite position is three-quarter diagonal in front of your car. Moment the light goes green, they take off to stop first on the next traffic light. Now the real game starts. If youíre the one by great mistake got a poll position, they (at least two of them) will come again in front of you and stop in the same manner.
Then there are bulls known as Sumos. Using roads as they would be in Spain.
With great amount of reluctance they brake to gallop in standing position. Huffing and puffing black smoke with DO-re-Me-fa-So-la-Ti horn blasting . In Bangalore there is another breed. Maruti 800 with stickers on the side, saying 16VALVE TWIN CAM. Rear hatch glass will be golden foil decorative fonts announcing the entire family names. Few of course are little different. They, to portrait theyíre deep love for the partner write Manjunath and Sheeba. Just because they have some space and yet to produce population, youíll see a multi coloured rotating light like consumer fair every time they brake. Itís their third brake light. And when itís ON you better stop and think what right you have to talk against your countrymen.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2004, 23:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So true Rudra. But I have a suggestion. Get a Jeep and you will bid farewell to half the problems you have listed here. An Ikon rear-ended my stationary Jeep at a prabhadevi junction in Bombay. Not a scratch on the rear. In fact, even the paint hasnt peeled off from anywhere. Me and Revvmaster could not find where he touched it. Also, no one will mess with you or cut you with that bull bar in front.

The thing with the pedestrians is spot on. In India the rule of the thumb is : If you vehicle is bigger than the other one in conflict, its you at fault.

Pedestrain vs Bike = Bikes fault
Bike vs Car = Cars fault
Car vs Bus = Bus's fault

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 00:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ June 01 2004,22:18)]So true Rudra. But I have a suggestion. Get a Jeep and you will bid farewell to half the problems you have listed here.
Yeah, I'm going to get one for sure GTO. Only for city so no 4WD. With 1800ISZ.
Old 2nd June 2004, 00:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Only for city so no 4WD. With 1800ISZ.
hahaha, wanna seal the deal on a trade?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 00:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hahaha, wanna seal the deal on a trade?
Not while i am around to warn you. Lol.

Jeep w/o 4wd. Seems like you on a suicide mission pal.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 00:21   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well.... Don't know about ... other cities.... but.. here.. in Delhi - You have the wrong impression.
People drive zig-zag.. b'coz the roads are so wide.. and some people block the fast lane with their top speeds of 30-40.
In my 4 years of driving in here... I haven't had a single dent. a couple of scratches maybe. (touch-wood)
Anywhere in this world.. u you don't know the art of keeping distance and.. timed braking to avoid the rear dent. you are bound to get your $#@$# kissed.
The traffic speed is much faster here thats why you might get your rear kissed.
And its a BIG city.... say about 80+kms... one end to other. I myself now-a-days do 40kms one side everyday. So if I drive in my lane behind a slow 'Auto' going at 20-30kms/h I'll never reach anywhere.... but I do manage in about an hour... how? Shift to the fastest lane and keep distance.
And If a car gets bumped from the back by another there is going to be a lot more happening in here (whole damn traffic jam).

The only thing that is more in Delhi than in Any other City is.. new drivers without the 'L' sign.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 00:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

So true guys,

Actually there are friends of mine who think they are kings of roads. They talk nothing other than how they screwed up a car guy or another bike guy with their Yamahas or Pulsars which they think are super bikes. Only difference is that in SBK races u wear a helmet, racing gear, and most importantly, there is no on coming traffic or pedestrians.

When i say to them that my first choice in bikes is a Bullet, for its sheer character, they try to make a point saying that a Bullet is heavy and is no 'fun' to ride and prefer a Pulsar or a Yamaha. What they actually mean is that on a Bullet u don't get the audacity to try and zip past the traffic. I try to explain to them that there is no point in hurrying as it is only going to be bad for their bikes fuel economy they say i'm talking like thier father!!

Talk abt buses, well i remember Shantanu saying that the drivers think that they are WRC champions. Which i find so very true. Cars, bikes and pedestrians dont come under their 'line of sight'. Like the old saying goes "It takes fire to fight with fire." only a bus or a truck can slow another bus or truck.

My physics lecturer says that bikers who weave and zip around traffic, where most probably, snakes in their previous birth!!
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 01:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey rudra, couldn't agree with you more. it's amazing how you have a different mindset depending on your mode of transport. when i'm in a bus im always awed by the way they manage to manouvre those barges through traffic and make real good time. when im riding in something else next to a bus, i plain dread it and look to get away from it as far as possible. bikes are a nuisance for me, which ever way you look at them. im too scared to get on one anyway. i do make it a point to advise a rickshaw driver to move to the right lane when i think they should and they are holding up the traffic behind them, but usually they just snap back at me, and then i snap at him. and it doesn't really get anywhere.
i try to keep as cool as i can, road rage only makes your driving worse, and i would hate to be the cause of anything even remotely called an accident. just take it in my stride now. it's a shame. wonder if it will ever get any better?
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice comments,
But to share a nightmare when it comes to traffic,
Ahmedabad,

2 wheelers drive at their own pace,
Bikers rash on the road, at times it scares me,
lotta stupid female drivers who end up banging your car and start crying,
Scooter guys bang your car and start fighting,
Autos take turn with their foot as their signal,
Wannabe guys in cars with loud music keep screeching brakes thinkin it's cool and end up banging someone,
And in turn get beaten up by public,
Bus guys are usually the worst,
they push ur car around,
But if they bang someone and by chance the person dies,
The bus goes in flames and does the driver,
As for me,
im usually in my car,
Have had lot of people bang into me,
touch wood,
No dent as yet while i've seen people breaking their lights and grills with no dent but a few minor scratches on my car ( touch wood )

And yeah when ur at a red light,
A few 2 wheeler guys have a habit of leanin on ur car,
And end up scratching it with the side of their scooter those chrome pipes,

Well if there's hell on roads,
it's ahmedabad, And its like a known fact,

Also a city where the traffic cop does not guide the traffic,
He rather moves himself for the traffic and how it wants to flow,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 04:01   #10
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Things change drastically if youíre in the capitol. Iím yet to see (barring half an hour old from the showroom) any car without a scratch there.
i absolutely agree with u! during my brief stay at delhi even i couldn't find a single car that wasn't dented!! plus the fact taht it doesn't bother them is what makes it all the more funny!
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 05:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey,mr. rudra sen... how can u complain about a sumo like that. not every sumo driver is like that. if u can comment on every vehicle from bikes to m800s, then what the hell r u driving in. i'll try finding a comment on that:angry:
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (nitrous @ June 02 2004,04:21)]hey,mr. rudra sen... how can u complain about a sumo like that. not every sumo driver is like that. if u can comment on every vehicle from bikes to m800s, then what the hell r u driving in. i'll try finding a comment on that:angry:
Yes pal, I do agree with you. But those are my comments and not complaint.
I had jotted down my comments based on the city where I live-Bangalore.
By and large tour operators and white taxis use Sumo here. And they DO drive like that.
If you happen to drive a Sumo and drive the way it should be driven, then Sumo drivers in Bangalore should learn something from you. I didnít make any comments on the car.
I made comments about a few types of people behaviour. I donít see any reason why you should angry. Iím sorry if youíre angry but here goes one more comment:
A vehicle can (or will) display the character of the person driving it.
You want to know what the hell do I drive. Well pal, I drive cars. I do not believe in road rage. I respect other drivers on the road simply because I donít know them.
All these are the cumulative habit of 28 years of driving experience.
A grey haired person like me generally makes comment after observing a lot.
Peace pal, peace. *
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rudra,

Interesting observations.
Ofcourse they are generalized. (ive seen cabbies with road manners as good as say..optra owners )
I totally agree about your theory of what u call "reverse logic". So many times i have seen people abuse some1 ahead of them for pulling off a move on them that they just pulled off on some1 else 1minute back.
The only way to improve the situation is to start with yourself. Then maybe when you think you are perfect enough start explaining to your drivers and friends the importance of civil road manners.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (nitrous @ June 02 2004,04:21)]hey,mr. rudra sen... how can u complain about a sumo like that. not every sumo driver is like that. if u can comment on every vehicle from bikes to m800s, then what the hell r u driving in. i'll try finding a comment on that:angry:
We all have seen how sumo and commander drivers hustle their vehicles and bully other road users. So many accidents on highways that involve sumos and the likes of it. How can u justify a 2 tonne truck ferrying only 1 or 2 ppl around in a city?

need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (need4speed @ June 02 2004,09:23)]How can u justify a 2 tonne truck ferrying only 1 or 2 ppl around in a city?
Well,

look at it this way

The fact that its 2 tonnes - not like the road gets tired of carrying it or nething.
In terms of size - its not like it takes up anymore roadspace (ie almost same size footprint) as a ~city/optra, probably less than an accord or sonata (which might i add usually have only 1 or 2 people in them)
And in terms of fuel - its way more efficent than your sonata 2.7 or accord v6 or even an accent if you go by cost.

Ofcourse these arent same class comparisons, but nonetheless,

IMO it is justified to have a sumo in the city because not very often is it only used for ferrying 1 or 2 people.

cya
R

Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote