Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:16   #3736
BHPian
 
FlatOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 300
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Skoda Octavia estate 2001, 1.9 TDi 110hp manual gearbox. Average 59 miles per (British) gallon on a long journey exceeding no more than 90mph. The car has covered 160,000 miles (original engine, no repairs or internal work done). Short trips, about 52 mpg. Top speed around 120 mph.

Mercedes 1991 300TD automatic gearbox. (W124 series estate). Average 39 mpg on a long journey exceeding no more than 85mph. The car has covered 330,000 miles (original engine, no repairs or internal work done). Shorter trips - around 32mpg. Top speed around 110 mph.

Citroen 2cv6, 1982. Average 51 mpg on a long run, 47 mpg on shorter trips. The car has covered 220,000 miles on its original (600cc twin cylinder) engine, with a bore rehone and reground valves at 180,000 miles. The car was desinged in the 1940s. Top speed 75 mph.
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 12:32   #3737
BHPian
 
abhijeetsng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 335
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Hyundai i20 CRDI - 15.02 kmpl.

100% City

AC - 100% Automatic Climate Control. Temperature setting at 22/23 degrees.
This time the fuel efficiency further dropped to all time low of 12.54.
Raised this fuel efficiency issue during my car's second service. The service advisor got the air filter changed. He was hopeful that fuel efficiency will increase. But its rolling back.
I drive sanely.
Don't know whats going wrong.
My friend who has the same model is getting a consistent 18-20kmpl with almost 50% ac usage.
Wtih 100 % AC on in my case I expect the fuel efficiency to be in the range of 17-18.

Is there anything I should do?
Or am I missing / overlooking something?
abhijeetsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 14:05   #3738
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 357
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

Honda Brio - 26000 km - strictly driven within the city
With A/c - 12.5-13
Without A/c - 15.5-16

Honda Civic V AT - within the city
With A/c - 9.5 km/l
Without A/c - 10km/l

BMW 320d
Highway - 13-14 km/l (driven mostly above 130kmph)
City - 11.5 km/l
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 10:53   #3739
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,016
Thanked: 891 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
This time the fuel efficiency further dropped to all time low of 12.54.
Raised this fuel efficiency issue during my car's second service. The service advisor got the air filter changed. He was hopeful that fuel efficiency will increase. But its rolling back.
I drive sanely.
Don't know whats going wrong.
My friend who has the same model is getting a consistent 18-20kmpl with almost 50% ac usage.
Wtih 100 % AC on in my case I expect the fuel efficiency to be in the range of 17-18.

Is there anything I should do?
Or am I missing / overlooking something?
One of our members had the same problem with his new Alto K10. Diagnosis - stuck throttle body. He got it serviced at an independent workshop and since then every thing is fine. Though that was a petrol car, it applies to diesel vehicle also.

There is a butterfly valve in the throttle body (just after the air intake). If it is not free, then less air goes in, which means more fuel. Take the air filter out and look down the barrel, if there is a lot of soot, then the throttle body is sticking. Get it dismantled and cleaned and lubricated thoroughly.

If throttle body is not the culprit, then only thing left is the injectors which may be defective (in that case you may check for black smoke from the exhaust)

Last edited by Aroy : 7th May 2013 at 10:55.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 11:04   #3740
BHPian
 
abhijeetsng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 335
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
One of our members had the same problem with his new Alto K10. Diagnosis - stuck throttle body. He got it serviced at an independent workshop and since then every thing is fine. Though that was a petrol car, it applies to diesel vehicle also.

There is a butterfly valve in the throttle body (just after the air intake). If it is not free, then less air goes in, which means more fuel. Take the air filter out and look down the barrel, if there is a lot of soot, then the throttle body is sticking. Get it dismantled and cleaned and lubricated thoroughly.

If throttle body is not the culprit, then only thing left is the injectors which may be defective (in that case you may check for black smoke from the exhaust)
Thanks,
There is no black smoke from the exhaust. Checked that.
Will check for the soot thing today evening.
abhijeetsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 12:06   #3741
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 1,909 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Expressway figures:

Figo 1.2
100% AC with revs between 3.5-4k rpm- for 150 kms
100% AC with revs between 2-2.5k rpm- for 150 kms

Avg KMPL- 13-13.5 kmpl
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 12:24   #3742
BHPian
 
BMW-X5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Mahindra Scorpio VLX: Sep 2012.

Latest FE figures
552 Kmts Highway 100% AC on, 20+ Mins Idling with AC on due to hot summer
Avg Speed 90-105
+ 73 Kmts in Bangalore traffic 100% AC:(Belandur to Manyata Tech park during peak hours)
Route Kochi -Bangalore Via Trissur, Palakkad, Coimbatore, Salem, Krishanagiri

Total Kmts 625
Deisel Consumed 42.99 Lts
Avg FE 14. 54

Is this a decent figure for the truck ?
My expectation was 15+ though :(.

Last edited by BMW-X5 : 7th May 2013 at 12:27. Reason: Wrong Info updated
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 14:37   #3743
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TN-10
Posts: 237
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Mahindra Scorpio VLX: Sep 2012.

Latest FE figures
552 Kmts Highway 100% AC on, 20+ Mins Idling with AC on due to hot summer
Avg Speed 90-105
+ 73 Kmts in Bangalore traffic 100% AC:(Belandur to Manyata Tech park during peak hours)
Route Kochi -Bangalore Via Trissur, Palakkad, Coimbatore, Salem, Krishanagiri

Total Kmts 625
Deisel Consumed 42.99 Lts
Avg FE 14. 54

Is this a decent figure for the truck ?
My expectation was 15+ though :(.
Hey these are actually really good numbers for a Scorpio IMO. My bolero used to give me only 10-12kmpl average.

Last edited by swami.n : 13th May 2013 at 14:49.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 16:32   #3744
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 327 Times
Arrow Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

2009 Honda Civic AT (mileage figures with A/C always on)

City driving ~ 9.5 kmpl

Highway : ( driving in "F" mode aka Family mode , normal speeds) ~ 12.5 kmpl

Highway ( driving in "E" mode aka Economy mode, always below 2500rpm) ~ 16.3 kmpl

Highway ( driving in "U" mode aka Unplugged mode , mostly 5000 rpm - 6500 rpm) ~ 9.3 kmpl

.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th May 2013 at 16:34.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 17:10   #3745
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Suzuki Kizashi MT (ac always on)

City: 10.5kmpl
City late for my date: 7.5kmpl
City uncle style: 12kmpl

Highway cruise control between 120-140kph max 160kph occasionally: 13kmpl
Highway racing speed going upto 200kph: 9
Highway speed limited to 120kph: 14

Ghat/Mountain roads attack mode: 6.5
(Never tried any other style :P these roads are simply irresistible)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th May 2013 at 17:12.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 18:22   #3746
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,093
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
2009 Honda Civic AT (mileage figures with A/C always on)
Highway : ( driving in "F" mode aka Family mode , normal speeds) ~ 12.5 kmpl
Highway ( driving in "E" mode aka Economy mode, always below 2500rpm) ~ 16.3 kmpl
Did not know that you got yourself a Civic-AT. Nice car BTW.
What's the difference in driving behaviour between Family and Economy mode ? Asking because there's a huge difference in FE between the 2 modes.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 18:39   #3747
CPJ
BHPian
 
CPJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Car: 2010 Maruti Estilo
A/C: Always On
Odo: 39000
FE: 14.5 (100% City Driving).
CPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:14   #3748
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 107
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Santro Xing Xo Mar 2006

City driving : No AC : 16.5
With AC : 15
rohit0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:22   #3749
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
This time the fuel efficiency further dropped to all time low of 12.54.
Raised this fuel efficiency issue during my car's second service. The service advisor got the air filter changed. He was hopeful that fuel efficiency will increase. But its rolling back.
I drive sanely.
Don't know whats going wrong.
My friend who has the same model is getting a consistent 18-20kmpl with almost 50% ac usage.
Wtih 100 % AC on in my case I expect the fuel efficiency to be in the range of 17-18.

Is there anything I should do?
Or am I missing / overlooking something?
Its hard for me to believe 18-20 kmpl in the city. I have a 2009 I-20 crdi with 42K on the meter and I get about 13-14kmpl with 100% ac. I have even got 11.5 in very bad traffic. And I drive sanely too.
shivasuma is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 22:15   #3750
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
2009 Honda Civic AT (mileage figures with A/C always on)

City driving ~ 9.5 kmpl

Highway : ( driving in "F" mode aka Family mode , normal speeds) ~ 12.5 kmpl

Highway ( driving in "E" mode aka Economy mode, always below 2500rpm) ~ 16.3 kmpl

Highway ( driving in "U" mode aka Unplugged mode , mostly 5000 rpm - 6500 rpm) ~ 9.3 kmpl

.
How many passengers on board for during these drives?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was your car's actual resale? yeis What Car? 242 22nd September 2016 06:26
What is the fuel efficiency (FE) of your Santro Automatic (AT)? subscrive The Indian Car Scene 17 7th September 2010 14:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks