Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th October 2017, 14:04   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Which are the most comfortable cars to drive long distances in?

I have driven to a few cities from Mumbai
1) Mumbai to Goa - about 5 times (3 times in Indica Xeta and 2 times in Honda City ANHC)
2) Mumbai to Mangalore - 2 times in Indica, 1 time in Ford Fiesta and 2 times in Honda City ANHC
3) Mumbai to Bhutan and back - 1 time in i20

Almost all cars had tough times in places where the roads were pathetic. Scrapping the car from below - bet it speed breakers, craters on road makes me feel someone peeling off my skin.

During my trip with a friend to Bhutan from Mumbai (Mumbai - Bhopal - Lucknow - Siliguri - Paro - Thimpu - Gelefu - Siliguri - Vizag - Mumbai) was a 15 day non stop driving and the i20 got beaten on our way to Bhutan near Jhansi belt and on our return from Gelefu to Kolkata

I for one have made up my mind, my next car has to be a SUV (ideally automatic, if it falls in my budget) cos I will do another trip to Bhutan with my family which is easier (which is not time bound).

Not wanting to shell out money for the SUV atleast till 2019, hope we have a plethora of choices in AMT by then
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 20:04   #272

I've done my fair share of long drives however, most of them have been overseas as I'm primarily based abroad.

I can however share my experience of relatively long distance driving after having purchased our Innova Crysta two months ago.

New Delhi to Bareilly, UP and then onwards to Lakhimpur-Kheri, UP for a total distance of ~430km. This part of the journey was rather uneventful. The distance between Bareilly and New Delhi is only about 250km. We were scheduled to make a two night halt in Bareilly before continuing on the 180km stretch to Lakhimpur. Understandably, we weren't at all tired. It's common knowledge that the Innova munches up highways and spits them out like no tomorrow. This was no different.

The return trip from Lakhimpur-Kheri, UP to New Delhi was more interesting. Distance from point to point was again ~430km, however due to extremely bad roads and a massive traffic jam in Noida the trip lasted close to nine hours. It was a direct journey with no overnight halts planned and I did the entire drive with my family (car was fairly with six of us in addition to luggage). Happily none of us felt at all tired by the end of it. We took just a single hour long stop for lunch and restroom use before continuing along.

My Mom and Aunt were seated in the Captain seats whereas my father was seated up front. Even after nine hours on the road, none of them felt tired in the end.

My younger cousin and sister were in the third row but didn't feel cramped at any time after the trip. Since the middle seat of the third row was empty, they took turns to stretch their legs between the two Captain seats.

As for me, I dare say I enjoyed the trip more than anyone. Driving, especially the long distance kind, is one of my favorite things to do. The car was extremely comfortable and with the seat set in just the right position, I didn't feel tired at any point. The AT is a blessing to have and while I initially missed the manual, I quickly forgot about it. The large dead pedal was also a boon to have.

Both the previous gen Innova and the current gen Innova are fabulous cars for long drives. Not much else can really compete with them.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote