Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2004, 19:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hey Guys,

Was at Crossroads yesterday where they had 2 San Storm's on display. Apparently they are holding a raffle. To enter, buy stuff worth Rs.5,000/- and you get a ticket for the lucky draw (I guess) where you can win one of these terrible buckets!

This was actually the first time I got a close up look at it. After reading GTO and Dippy's road test, I was expecting the worst...and I got it.

The fit n finish was terrible, the joints and seams of the body looked horrid! The top had exposed metal wires showing and the interiors looked like it was glued together! Ugh!

The engine, although a tiny 1159cc unit pumping out a measly 58 Hp looked a tight fit in the engine bay. I shudder to think of the way this car will flex when driven on our roads. I guess thats part of the reason they HAD to chose an engine with such a low output. Any more power and the engine would break free from the fibre body and wander off on its own!!

Well, the ppl manning the display didn't know squat about the cars, which is just as well I guess, as the only people impressed by the San Storm were the villagers who come as tourists to take in the sights.

Worst of all, the prices they are asking are just plain CRAZY. Rs.6,42,846 for an ex-Mumbai car! Any sane person would rather spend that money on a used Miata or something better. What possible market could San have?

Well, I scanned the pricelist and the Official San Storm spec sheet here.

Specs

Rtech
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 19:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

Was at Crossroads yesterday where they had 2 San Storm's on display. Apparently they are holding a raffle. To enter, buy stuff worth Rs.5,000/- and you get a ticket for the lucky draw (I guess) where you can win one of these terrible buckets!
LOL!! Thats the only possible way these idiots are going to move any San Storms off the factory parking lots.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 20:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 23 2004,17:45)]LOL!! Thats the only possible way these idiots are going to move any San Storms off the factory parking lots.

GTO
Saw one Chrome yellow one at Goa airport. Don't know if there was a raffle also
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 21:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

man
gotta go to cross roads and check this car out...
from what i hear it will be simply awful
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 22:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Saw a blue SanStorm with a free flow exhaust and a spoiler!!!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 23:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just hope a Taxi walla wins the draw.Wud`nt mind it as a Fiat replacement.
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 23:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

That desperate huh, so no one is buying the San Storm. I used to think it was a problem with just the places i would visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Just hope a Taxi walla wins the draw.Wud`nt mind it as a Fiat replacement.
I wouldn't mind that, but a taxi that carries one passenger?? I'd think an Enfield would make a better bet.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2004, 00:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I shudder to think of the way this car will flex when driven on our roads.
Well u read mine and GTOs first hand experience. Leave aside a larger engine, driving it with that measly 52 bhp engine felt like the car was going to self destruct.

Oh and not to forget the gearbox woes ... revving to the redline in 3rd and hitting 2nd ouch!!!!

San get a break...

Dippy

P.S. Whos that ANITA with that telephone no on the price list
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 20:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

u have to pay extra for power steering......
man this car sux....
i would rather get a city
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Dippy @ Aug. 23 2004,22:58)]P.S. Whos that ANITA with that telephone no on the price list
the beautiful mermiad who can entice anyone to buy the san storm, including diehard critics like dippy and gto!
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote