Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th August 2007, 11:22   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

New Versa coming?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...w+versa+maruti (New Maruti Versa on the cards)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 12:01   #17
BHPian

All said and done, one thing I like about Maruti is that they have not dumped the Versa. Whether the model sells or not, they continue to back it and the customers who bought the car do not feel cheated or left in the lurch. About the looks..almost all of the Suzuki cars brought to India (except SX4 and Alto) were average lookers (considering the other two Jap firms - Honda and Toyota, whose stable can boast of some real stunners). BTW, how do you guys rate Swift? I always thought that it was good car with a bad name, Maruti Frog would have been a fitting name!
Vayalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 12:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys ive had a versa for more than 4 years now and my findings are as under;

It has good ride quality and as Ajmat pointed out if its filled in properly it looses its bouncing ability, just as any van or people mover would. Persons seated at the rear two rows need not be 5.6 feet to be comfortable, as mentioned. A person with a near six foot frame can fit comfortably except in the front seats. The drivers seating position is very awkward and the absence of a dead pedal is felt instantly. The co driver's seat has no travel front or back as its fixed. Only the backrest can be inclined and this is a problem for tall passengers

The power is quite good. One cannot complain regarding this factor. The versa zips in and out comfotably from tight situations to quick overtaking whenever needed.

Stability & road holding is a problem, as is, on any tall vehicle with a high centre of gravity. Ive put 195 radials on her and she grips like nobody's business.

The versa is the best value for money vehicle one can get in this price bracket. The DX2 model has even seperate vents for each row with a separate rear a fan control.

If the versa is used as a daily driver i think its a great car. It is not true to call it an Omni replacement and is definately not comparable to any other vehicle (least of all any suv) we have as there is no other vehicle like the versa in the market today.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 15:25   #19

Thumbs up

Thanx veejai and v-16... i was feeling quite alone. my conclusion as of now is that unless you are driving it yourself, you tend to speak what people like to hear the most and bitch like no ones business.

I reiterate the comfort, power and maneuverability of the Versa and would appeal to people to look at the car with a positive approach. and stop comparing the Versa with a omni - theres no comparison. also, u cant compare the comfort in a 5 lakh car with a 8 lakh car.

v-16... i completly agree with you that the Versa provides better vfm than any other car in that segment and that its a boon for a family of 4+. I use the car extensively and really enjoy both the city travel as well as long trips... and btw, i am 5'10"... so the height isnt an issue at all... except maybe the last row where 5'7" people will be most comfortable.

Not because i own the car, but it hurts that people are not able to see the qualities of this wonderful car. The car surely hasnt got a fair share of its worth from junta.
dtgada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 16:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

There is no car in Indian market which is as VFM as Versa. But when I showed Versa pictures to my family and friends, none liked it. So I had to look at other cars.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 17:41   #21
BHPian

I am the proud owner of a Versa DX2 since last 2 years. And boy, what an opposition I faced when I decided on the Versa - everyone from family, friends, dealers, auto experts...everyone was 'dead' opposed to it...

Two years hence I can atleast vouch for few 'converts' - mainly family, friends and 1-2 experts. They now rate it highly !

Ride and ride quality:
Now for the ride -I've done Bangalore-Wayanad-Trivandrum, Bangalore-Mukambike, Bangalore-Pondicherry and Bangalore-Mangalore-Mumbai-Baroda - over the last 2 years. And every ride has been a joy ride.
Of course, you cannot compare the ride quality with a Skoda or such cars. But for 5L, the ride quality is reasonably good.

Max speed:
A tbhp expert had done 120-140 on the Mumbai trip and he found it good to ride and is a Versa fan now.
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]Link showing speed: ImageShack - Hosting :: pb120009vm2.jpg[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
He even acknowledged that experts also get taken in by popular sentiment, without having actually driven one themselves. I was grinning from ear to ear on hearing that :-) Bcoz of the height, one had to slow down on the bends and could not negotiate them at 100+ speeds - I have to say that this might be a limitation to some, but I never do turns at that speed, so I can live with this.

AC:
The DX2 has AC vents above the rear seat also (has a separate switch and temperature controller for the rear AC!). Thats the reason I bought it and its proved to be a boon when I go with all my friends on long trips in hot Kerala/Mangalore/Baroda climates. Best part of the 1.3L engine - it does not lose power even when both front and rear ACs are put on (have seen Indica drivers switch off AC when they want to overtake !!!)

City / Highway rides:
I bought it more for long trips with friends and family, not so much for city traffic. Still city traffic has not been an issue anytime. Its extremely good turning radius coupled with power steering amaze many.

Bad sales:
a) I would not blame the bad sales on the Bachchan ad.
b) I think when it was launched, it was priced too high.
c) Then FE is not so great - its 12-13kmpl on highways with AC on.
d) Also heard some dealers say that when it was launched, it had some technical problem. After the initial hitch, all these issues were sorted out (as per dealers), but guess first impressions are hard to change and so it never picked up.
e) These days, the reason given by dealers to discourage you not to buy the Versa is that it does not have good resale value. Thats true. But I dont buy a car for its resale value, but for usability while I have it - so I overlooked this one.

Space:
You can play football inside the vehicle...just joking :-)
a) Never faced any problem with luggage space when going to receive ppl at airports / railway stations.
b) Kid can sleep 'aaram se' during long trips
c) Six people plus a driver can be easily travel on long trips with ample elbow space.
On the -ve side for space:
a) One can put the luggage carrier on top to carry more luggage. But I read in a review on mouthshut.com that it makes the Versa 'unstable like a drunken elephant' at speeds over 60kms. Dont know if this is true, but just FYI.
b) Boot space is less

Shape:
a) Wagon-R was called a 'matchbox' when it was launched.
b) Santro had its share of bad reviews on shape.
c) A friend from US recently said the Qualis reminds him of a vehicle used to transport the dead !
d) Some ppl call the Swift a 'frog'.
So I guess shape is a very subjective thing.

Sales & Support:
Its from Maruti. So I need not write anything more.

Other goodies:
a) Power steering (i know, stating the obvious)
b) Power windows (only front)
c) Central locking
d) Child-lock on the sliding doors
e) Child-lock even for the windows (there is a lock which stops the window roll-down mid way)
f) Seat belts for all 8 passengers
g) 2 rear AC ducts. Even AC ducts toward rear window. Has separate switch near driver to switch on rear ac. Has separate temperature controller above middle seat to control rear AC
h) One seat in the middle row can be folded and made into a hand-rest.
i) All seats can be folded and made flat to increase space greatly.

I've driven Wagon-R, Santro, M800, Fiesta, Skoda and a few other vehicles. But overall, I am a satisfied customer and a fan of Versa.
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 18:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There is no car in Indian market which is as VFM as Versa. But when I showed Versa pictures to my family and friends, none liked it. So I had to look at other cars.
You know more than its asthetic appeal, a drive in the car would've done the trick. And when buying a car one should take a lot of advice from everyone but do what one wants in the end. After all its your money. Advisors are aplenty but they're not spending their hard earned money. Yes one must take advice but if stuck with a decision, listen to your mind and heart...not necessarily in that order tough
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 19:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Versa never really appealed to me. Negligible width compared to almost 2 meters in height, i felt it would turn turtle in heavy corsswinds let alone fast corners!
Its a load carrying suzuki carry in other markets, sold here as a family van!Maruti wanted to pull a fast one on us... I am glad it failed.
Can be a good city run about for a 5+ family, certainly not a highway car.

No offences to anyone.. its just my opinion.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

have seen a few versa taxis..drivers complained of the lack of strength of suspension parts-discomforting when taken at high speeds on bad roads.

one of them told, "tata UVs(sumo,spacio,tourin) have the safari suspension..they dont 'break' as easily as the taveras while taken at rough roads at higher speeds"
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 20:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgada View Post
also, u cant compare the comfort in a 5 lakh car with a 8 lakh car.
Which one is a 5 lakh car & which is the 8 lakh car here ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 10:56   #26

I have booked maruti versa DX2. Any idea about Year 2008 changes.
any variants such as diesel, LPG.CNG etc
any information of maruti versa-ox being release to Public
bhakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 12:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

You are asking all these questions after booking the car ???
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgada View Post
Thanx veejai and v-16... i was feeling quite alone. my conclusion as of now is that unless you are driving it yourself, you tend to speak what people like to hear the most and bitch like no ones business.

I reiterate the comfort, power and maneuverability of the Versa and would appeal to people to look at the car with a positive approach. and stop comparing the Versa with a omni - theres no comparison. also, u cant compare the comfort in a 5 lakh car with a 8 lakh car.

v-16... i completly agree with you that the Versa provides better vfm than any other car in that segment and that its a boon for a family of 4+. I use the car extensively and really enjoy both the city travel as well as long trips... and btw, i am 5'10"... so the height isnt an issue at all... except maybe the last row where 5'7" people will be most comfortable.

Not because i own the car, but it hurts that people are not able to see the qualities of this wonderful car. The car surely hasnt got a fair share of its worth from junta.
One problem is that people dont look at Versa as a car but a minivan and there the price of Versa is too high compared to Omni despite all the features it provide.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:01   #29

Default any idea about 2008 model - maruti versa

any update about 2008 model for maruti versa . Any new changes.
Any new variants such as LPG, CNG, diesel etc
bhakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:11   #30
BHPian

is versa still available with the dealers?
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote