Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd January 2008, 00:03   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgada View Post
Thanx veejai and v-16... i was feeling quite alone. .
If it makes you feel better: I was considering buying the versa when I was shopping for my first car. However I realised I dont have to cart 5-7 people around, so settled for a small car.

Having said that, if MUL plonks the 1.3 JTD into the versa, it would be adopted by the taxi market as a smaller alternative to the innova. MUL shud be thinking about this one......
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 00:07   #32
BANNED

When i saw the bacchan family ad ,my first dislike for the versa began . Not only for the versa ,but for santro ,innova , castrol oil , etc .

I cannot digest the fact that a film star ,cricket player talks abt handling , performace etc.

Why cant these dumb car /bike /oil companies for heaven sake use some one who atleast drives thet vehicle .

I don t thin amithab drives around in a versa to talk abt its features .

Why cant they get someone like narian karthikeyan or some one who atleast knows what an engine ,gear box is ...

poor losers
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 01:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think the Versa sales can be revived by offering a diesel option along with a decent facelift. Many people convert to LPG due to the low FE.

If Maruti can better the ride, it would be great. The Versa rear seems to be in a world of its own. I have no hatred for Versa since I do not care about looks. On the badly patched 20 odd kms I drove the car, I was happy.

I heard from a dealer that they are asked to sell Versas as a punishment. You made a mistake....here, sell 5 Versas this month.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

the point comming in my mind is that if the vehicle was launched -or it can be launched even now,with a diesel 1.3 engine and priced at 4-5 lakhs most of the tavera,innova guys would have opted this considering the 2+L saving and less costly maintenence of maruti.
this could have been an achievement as far as msil is concerned.they are streching the life of versa maybe because of this.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 20:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Availability Of Versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
is versa still available with the dealers?
Yes,but the dealer might just have one vehicle in his/her stockyard.

Also I know the Versa is going to be around.Remember Maruti has installed i-cats security feature on all its models except the Esteem,Omni and 800.So the message is Versa is here to stay
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 21:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
the point comming in my mind is that if the vehicle was launched -or it can be launched even now,with a diesel 1.3 engine and priced at 4-5 lakhs most of the tavera,innova guys would have opted this considering the 2+L saving and less costly maintenence of maruti.
this could have been an achievement as far as msil is concerned.they are streching the life of versa maybe because of this.
ram
Well it wont be able to take even an iota of punishment compared to an innova or a tavera. It would fall apart, like all the wagon-r that I have sat in, being used as Taxi's.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 13:58   #37
BHPian

I had the opportunity to drive a Versa for the first time last week. The roads were a mix of some truly horrible, monsoon-damaged village roads in Kanyakumari and fairly decent stretches of NH 47.

I was apprehensive getting behind the wheel because the top-heavy, hideously sticker-clad vehicle did not inspire confidence.

Boy! was I pleasantly surprised. The 1.3L was truly peppy. The transmission was crisp (a big difference from the WagonR. It actually felt like a Zen transmission). The ride quality was decent and there was tons of room.All the occupants were comfortable with the 2nd and 3rd row roof-mounted aircon vents which kicked in with a push of a button on the dash, to the right of the steering column. The sliding door levers could have been better positioned and the doors themselves more smooth to operate (to improve the perception of better build quality).

All Maruti has to do is to cancel the Sticker supplier's contract and re do the exterior to minimize the top-heavy look. Add the stellar 1.3L diesel to improve the mileage (currently 12kms/L) and sales will take off. Guaranteed!
Zensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 09:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Default Maruti Versa Makeover

Has anyone heard about a possible makeover of the Maruti Versa? What else would change apart from the engine change (they seem to be putting the new K-series engine in all their models, so I am expecting the new Versa will at least have the K-series engine).

How does the Versa fare against the other MUVs?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 09:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

I remember reading in OD/ACI that Maruti is planning to launch a "flatroof" Versa in the market. Apart from this news, they didnt mention anything, nor did they mention the time frame for the same.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 09:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Would it help the selling part better with a better engine?
And if they intend to bring it (back?) with a new engine it will/should be the same engine as in Ritz.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 10:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Flat roof and/or new K-series engine will not help!
The Versa failed because of its supreme ugliness!
Though I have always been an admirer, hehe! But my family put their collective foot down against it when it came to buying one ... so we got a WagonR!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 10:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Would it help the selling part better with a better engine?
And if they intend to bring it (back?) with a new engine it will/should be the same engine as in Ritz.
Last time I had gone to check out an A-star, the salesman told me the new K-series engine does not need running in. Also the service interval (for oil changes) is longer. The engine belt has been replaced with a chain. The new K-series is all aluminium, but I think the Versa engine is already all aluminium. But the other three factors should make it a much cheaper engine to run and maintain, even if we discount the fuel economy.

The A-star claims to have 19+ kilometers to a litre, which would probably translate to 22+ on the highways and at least 18 in city with decent driving. I have a Santro which is now six years old, and its FE always moves between 16 (city with AC) to 19 (highway, less AC). Though it hasn't dropped below 16 yet, there's no way to push it higher either, which is a problem.

With the agility and flexibility that the Versa offers, I would be willing to go for it instead of the heavier diesel MUVs if it were coupled with the K-series advantages.
Old 25th May 2009, 10:16   #43
BHPian

a complete change in the looks department with an option of new petrol and DDIS diesel might do the trick. or even better give it a crossover feel or a small sized suv to take on yeti! wat say!!
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 10:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Having owned one, i can tell you that the single best feature of the versa would be the engine+GB. It is an absolute hoot to drive except for the height, and the bumpy suspension. Changing the engine would not improve sales according to me. The car suffers from a complete lack of image which i think is one of the primary reasons for its failure.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 10:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Having owned one, i can tell you that the single best feature of the versa would be the engine+GB. It is an absolute hoot to drive except for the height, and the bumpy suspension. Changing the engine would not improve sales according to me. The car suffers from a complete lack of image which i think is one of the primary reasons for its failure.
I loved the Versa ever since it came out (I had test driven its SDX version right after it was launched). Couldn't afford it earlier due to the price, and last year when I booked it, I had to cancel the booking for some other reasons (not the merit of the vehicle).

Am still looking to go for it, but now that it's going to get a makeover, I may as well wait for a few more months.

Considering the options it has to offer, I must say there is nothing else that can beat this vehicle on the features and flexibility.