Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Fun to drive- Palio 1.6 Stile Sports/ Swift DDiS?
Palio 1.6 Stile Sport 68 58.12%
Swift DDiS 49 41.88%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 14:04   #106
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J
Let this poll belong to only those who have driven both the cars.Only those guys can do justise to both the cars.
Pretty logical. When you are trying to find out which car of the two is FTD, the bare minimum requirement would be to atleast take both of them for a spin and then give your opinion. How can a person who has driven only one of them say conclusively that the other one would not be as FTD as the one he has driven ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
You dont have to drive both of them to come to a conclusion. For a petrol head, a more powerful petrol engine will be more fun never mind the torque of a diesel or for some torque of a diesel will count more than outright revvability of a petrol.
I am also no diesel fan - would prefer a petrol anyday, and not just for FTD. But, I disagree with your point that one does not need to drive both before concluding, for the reason mentioned above.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 14:23   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
FYI, The Audi TDi wont Le Mans, goes to show how fast diesel cars are progressing, so when it comes to FTD you cannot rule out a diesel.
Yes I know... and I am not discounting the fact that you like diesel more fun to drive.... for me revvvv matter and hence a petrol.
extreme_torque is online now  
Old 9th August 2007, 14:25   #108
BHPian
 
irfanmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 37
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up Diesel it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
well I have already voted for the palio 1.6 and i have driven a petrol swift (not the 1.3 Diesel) and to be very frank I dislike swift so much that whatever engine you put in it, I wont be happy in it ..so dont even talk about fun to drive. Its just personal opinion about like and dislike and I am not saying that swift is a bad vehicle (hell its one of the best ones on the road) or it cant be fun to drive . But, it simply isnt my cup of tea so whether i have driven a DDiS or not it wont change my choice....
Does that mean that even if fiat decides to spruce up the palio with a good diesel engine (like the 1.3 Multijet), then I should hate it because the petrol ones were hated?
I think that is some arrogant attitude towards cars and manufacturers. I have test driven almost every Fiat launched in this country even though I didn't like most of it. On a public forum, I would like to see more justice in our wordings and votes.

I will definitely TD the Palio with 1.3 Multijet and if I like it (and the service issues are sorted out by then) I may even buy one. I think being blindly in love or hate with some beautiful things in this world can make a man loose many other beautiful things just because he didn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
FYI, The Audi TDi wont Le Mans, goes to show how fast diesel cars are progressing, so when it comes to FTD you cannot rule out a diesel.
Even Mercedes, BMW etc.. are also making sports touring cars and sedans with diesel engines. The world is moving the diesel way.
Ofcourse, the revving capability of a petrol engine is something we all like. But the pushing power of a diesel sometimes makes one go crazy and have goosebumps all over the body.
irfanmon is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 15:22   #109
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why do you have problems digesting the fact that Palio 1.6 would handle better. The argument is who will handle better on track not swift's handling considered in isolation. For some driving the car to come to a conclusion isnt neccessary, its very basic... a diesel hatch aganist a petrol hatch on track!
Unfortunately, We aren;t going to drive it on a track.

And coming to the handling part, i don't think palio 1.6 handles better. Swift handling was the one that impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So you are quoting figures from Overdrive... they are the most favourable for you considering this argument... isnt? Now lets talk abt Autocar figures, 1.6 0- 100 11:19 seconds, 1.3 0-100 13.XX seconds a difference of more than three seconds which is a lot!
Let's talk about both figures!

Palio 1.6 is faster to 100 kmph. Agreed. I dont own swift diesel to be supporting that. The third gear in the palio is awesome and pulls strongly.

However, 4h and 5th gears, the power fades (is it overdrive?). Thats the reason why quarter-mile figures are almost same. Swift diesel pulls better in higher gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You should have mentioned it in the start of your thread that the only criteria for voting is "fun to drive" factor and not economy and diesel prices coupled with reasonable performance.See above.
Did i mention economy in the poll? The poll question is just 'fun to drive hatch'. Thats it!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th August 2007 at 15:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 15:29   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Unfortunately, We aren;t going to drive it on a track.
So all those who bought Palio 1.6 drive it only on tracks? And not on roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And coming to the handling part, i don't think palio 1.6 handles better. Swift handling was the one that impressed.
That clearly shows you don't know what HANDLING is all about!
You deserve a Swift!
finneyp is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 15:40   #111
BHPian
 
zoom2_ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 68
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

If I have to buy a car for myself, I will not buy any of these cars because of obvious already known issues i.e. rattling noises, cramped rear seat, poor suspension, notchy gear box in SWIFT and poor interiors, very poor *** and spare parts availability, bad FE etc in Palio 1.6.

But as this forum is to decide on fun to drive car, so if i get a chance to drive a car just for fun, i would prefer Palio1.6 over SWIFT DDIS because of better ride quality and better gear box.
zoom2_ash is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 16:41   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not only elantra is this case has more power but also more torque.. in the scenario we are talking about here.. the difference in power is almost 25% in favour of petrol and its not negligible! So if we talk about performance on track, the lighter more powerful hatch the 1.6 will always have the advantage and me being a petrol head would love the 1.6 if fun to driver factor was the only factor to be considered. However if asked to run the car with my own money, I would always go the 1.3 JTD way but since the thread says most fun to drive car I will stick to 1.6. Let me make it clear... I am not compairing the two cars, I am merely selecting the one which I think is the most fun to drive among both..... no wonder some of us would have problem for it being a FIAT
@mclaren.. I am still looking for answer to my question. You lost to a peted elantra that makes more than 130 bhp and a mountain of torque, got beaten by sheer nyumber and a different segment car altogether that has better aggregates all aaround and you start "respecting" the diesels... shows you know a lot about handling!What about the scenario here.... on track a 100 bhp lighter more balanced hatch or a 75 bhp diesel hatch and you say petrol would be beaten. In anycase I rest my argument. These no point of discussion because you dont want to answer relevant questions but to come up with post like your previous one and then you go and shout about that you attend track days and know a lot abt cars and handling. Peace bro... no hard feelings.
extreme_torque is online now  
Old 9th August 2007, 16:54   #113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
So all those who bought Palio 1.6 drive it only on tracks? And not on roads?
I didn't say that. I am saying there is no point in discussing which car would win on a track. Read the discussion before commenting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
That clearly shows you don't know what HANDLING is all about! You deserve a Swift!
I'll take that as an honour. Now, who'll give me the money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You have a big hole in your head, now please shut it!
E_T, we all may not come to a conclusion, but this is not the way to argue.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 17:38   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I seriously suggest you guys keep it clean. Or else I will be forced to close down the thread.

It's a simple discussion, but if you guys can't post without getting your blood to boil, I suggest you guys pass this thread. Healthy discussions will be encouraged, but no personal attacks please.
ported_head is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 17:39   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

If you are going for swift ddsi then kindly switch on to 195/65/24 tyres. I have taken swift ddsi to 120 kms/hr and from that experience I prefer wider tyres to stock.
swathyd is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 18:31   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

This is classic.

I chose so many posts to "quote" and I think it exceeded the limit so Im just going to jump right into this.

1. How many of you have actually driven the Palio 1.6 SPORT/STILE AND DDis extensively? (Busa comes to mind here....)

2. Why is that the 1.2 owners feel they need to add their 2 paise in every Fiat thread? No offense but the 1.6 is a completely different machine. A league of its own (actually even 1.2 is in a league of its own )

You guys dont have a right to jump in and crusade in these matters.

3. "Fun to drive" is ambiguous. Multiple members have gone to lengths to highlight this. This inherent flaw in the poll itself is a problem, but as usual 'F' vs 'M' has turned a molehill into a mountain.

4. Read my post on page 1. I had to decide between the same 2 cars. I test drove both. We ended up booking the diesel (even though Im a petrol head, I gave in.) So my dad booked the DDis, did I vote for swift? Not yet. Im going to post when the time comes. Come on guys, be rational ?!

p.s : To someone who was asking why I complained about STILE interiors - I dont like the mix of beige / grey / black. Its hellish to maintain for me personally.

Those who want to buy a Sport 1.6 :



Last edited by s0uljah : 9th August 2007 at 18:40.
s0uljah is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 18:53   #117
BHPian
 
sushanthr77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mangalore / DXB
Posts: 280
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hmmm...very heated arguments here. I guess any criticism to the word Fiat will guarantee a combined attack by Fiat fans.

I haven't driven Swift D so can't speak much about the same. However I've had the privilege of being passenger in a Swift P driven by an ex-Asian karting champion! MAN! what a drive that was! the Swift P handled beautifully and never felt out of control. You can simply through this car on corners and then watch it drift @100kmph! This was done on stock tyres!

I requested the champ to drive my car (Palio 1.2). He could do pretty much do the same with it. The only difference was that it was a bit slower to reach 100kmph than Swift P. We continued to test both the cars at their very limits on different road surfaces. The rmp meter never touched below 5k in any gear!!!

After extensive observations these are my conclusions:
01. The Swift P will beat the Palio 1.2 on a race track very easily.
02. The Palio tended to roll a bit more than Swift.
03. The Palio 1.2 engine felt more rev happy than the Swift P's.
04. The Palio 1.2 will beat the Swift P very easily on bad roads.

From the above observations, I would assume the below mentioned:
01. The Swift D should beat the Palio 1.6 easily on a race track.
02. The Palio 1.6 will beat the Swift D easily on bad roads.
03. The Palio isn't a racer. It is more of a cruiser/mile muncher.
04. Swift is a good racer.

I must admit that I really don't like anything that doesn't feel solid. I like the Polo, Golf for their solid build. I want the car to be stable when driven hard on bad roads (In India we have plenty of them). So I guess the car that I'd enjoy (out of the 2 options) is the Palio 1.6 as I find it more suitable to handle Indian roads.

Note1: I am ignoring the A.S.S, F.E, resale value etc.
Note2: If you ask me what is a wise decision, then I think anything with the 1.3 MJTD is better than the very thirsty 1.6.
sushanthr77 is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 19:11   #118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

As of now, 100 people voted (in less than 2days)

57% in favour of Palio 1.6 and 43% in favour of Swift DDiS
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 19:17   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 2,222
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As of now, 100 people voted (in less than 2days)

57% in favour of Palio 1.6 and 43% in favour of Swift DDiS
Unfortunately the figures mean squat as it includes "I have never driven Swift but I own a Palio, so I vote for her" and other such unqualified votes.
s0uljah is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 19:19   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

I feel people are voting for the Palio for 2 primary reasons:
1. It is no secret that people on the forums have a soft corner for the Palio 1.6 and simply love it.
2. They are discouraged by the fact that the Swift has a waiting period.

The best people to answer the question would probably be the common man on the roads of our cities. I would be very interested if someone could conduct a proper survey to determine what would be a driver's car.
SumitB is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
economy diesel duel: Maruti Ritz DDiS vs Suzuki Swift DDis vs Vista quadrajet aura. s_pphilip Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 29th October 2009 09:43
Swift DDiS vs Ritz DDiS vs iKool ? anoovis Hatchbacks 1 21st October 2009 13:09
Palio Stile Multijet Vs. Swift DDiS Vs. PalioStile1.6 Vs. Indica DiCOR Vs. Getz CRDi maxbhp The Indian Car Scene 524 20th July 2009 22:41
Palio Stile 1.6 or Palio Stile 1.3MJD? rudrah Hatchbacks 47 5th May 2008 03:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks