Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st August 2010, 23:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Spark,i10,Estilo & Alto are among the ideal runabouts for women IMHO, they are easy to drive and handle for women.But at last its the driver herself, to decide what she is comfortable with, coz in last couple have days seen women drivers in their brand new Ritz's,Swift's,i20's and some even in likes of Pajero,Endy,Cruz and a Prius.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Well, it really doesn't matter nowadays. All cars are easy to drive for men and women alike. But you could say that Spark, Estilo, Micra, Beetle are more feminine. That makes more sense.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

I hope this doesn't get controversial like another recently-locked thread, Sid. .

If one were to remove the budget limitation, I know one thing for sure: Women in India love Honda. Whether it's the City, Civic, CR-V or the Accord, women seem to prefer them over other cars in the respective categories. I think it's lightweight-controls + hassle-free ownership.

P.S. My girlfriend drives an Indica V2 Petrol. Talk about being the most women-unfriendly car in the segment!
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to be saying this, but I fail to see the point of this thread.
All the cars listed here have been discussed at length somewhere or the other on the forum, try doing a keyword search and you'll be bombarded by info about each of these.

This looks too much like 'spoon-feeding', ok, here are your options, choose one.

Today the cars have evolved a great deal. A little road sense is all you need IMO, to be able to drive one(apart from the controls obviously).

So why limit the choices? let them see and decide for themselves.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:03   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Women in India love Honda. Whether it's the City, Civic, CR-V or the Accord, women seem to prefer them over other cars in the respective categories. !
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Sidindica,

while i appreciate your write up, my wifes first reaction was - "does he expect women to only want to drive small cars??"

1. Mercedes C Class
2. Honda CRV
3. Volkswagen Beetle
4. Honda City/Civic
5. Many big SUV's like The Audi Q5, Landcruiser, Pajero etc

Most women in my family and friends think the Civic Automatic is their ideal car. Some actually use the Altis and love that too.

3 important things for women buyers, IMO:
1.Good visibility
2.Light steering
3.Automatic

And there is something with women and SUV's, maybe it's the Big Boy image They love the CRV, Range Rovers,etc. 'Pretty' looking SUVs not super 'Mean' ones.

My advice, if you want to pamper your woman, get her an automatic, they deserve one !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

My wife loves to drive Toyota Innova, she find it easy to drive then that of my corolla.

Reason: People do not try to mess with her while she is driving and for sure she gets a treatment called "Let the elephant pass on !!"
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Women power rules!

My wife drives / can drive pretty much anything on 4 wheels! Started with a Fiat, moved to a M800 then the Lancer now drives both the Safari and Santro with aplomb.

Ask her which car is her first choice, and her reply is "my pocket rocket, the santro" without a doubt. Why ? For all the good reasons Sidindica has listed out.

So what's the point?

- the ideal car for women is a matter of choice.

- What suits one may not suit the other. While the compact cars are typically an ideal choice, bigger cars or SUVs probably offer some sense of security or send a "dont mess with me" signal.

- There could be regional preferences given the cultural or social issues around security, prestige, financial prowess etc.,

- Practicality. In a large family, the Safari/Innova/Scorpios give them the space and flexibility to move around with the bacchha party in tow.

- Women in bigger cars / SUVs tend to get unwanted attention. Or for that matter in any car i guess.. so safety in terms of privacy glass/ sunfilm becomes essential.

- As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Light controls, Very high reliability, Automatic gearshifts, ease of parking are the things most lady drivers would ask for.

- Budgets, again are relative so do not necessarily drive the decision.

On the lighter side, driving "her car" is another experience altogether for us menfolk! specially with her in the passenger seat!
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Ideal car requirements
  • Size. Yes, first and foremost requirement is the size and this is where the word “small” is the new big. Women like compact sized easy to drive urban and extra urban runabouts based on the daily usage and congested traffic in our country’s metro and semi urban areas. AN ideal size of 3.6-3.7 M length by 1.5 width is perfect, and so does the typical kei-car which makes it ideal for them.
I guess all of us will agree that nothing turns men's heads than a small woman driving a big car.

Most women know this too, and some including my wife will not be seen in a small car. (How she decided to buy the Polo is another story)

Having said the above, we know that all the cars that you mentioned can be driven by women or children just as easily as men. What would made this article REALLY worthwhile would be to know:
  • What are the big cars in India that women can drive? I struggled with that question myself when I was looking at a Xylo. In the end I felt somewhat sure that my wife would be cursing me day in and day out every time she changed the gear. Rest everything about the Xylo was fine, she actually liked the size.
  • Must-haves and annoyances of women. Yesterday I saw my wife pull the rear view mirror to look at herself when she was driving. So I jokingly told her that the RVM in the Polo was fixed. She almost went berserk. Finally I had to say that not only can she move the RVM, but there should be a vanity mirror in the sun visor too.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:47   #84
Senior - BHPian

nice thread sid. This will show what supposed true indian 'petrol heads' think about women.

According to me, basis my interaction with women, this is what they look out for in car.

They want the car to be good looking. This is a fact women 'look' first and for them the visual appeal is pretty important. by this i do not mean that they will not look under the hood or anything, but what they would preffer is a good looking car.

They want power. This is the age where women want to compete with men in every ground. They love a car that has power, makes them feel powerful. Infact my friends wife, loves to drive his skoda, her answer is: i love to control powerful cars.

Easy to understand/ Drive. While i have said that they want a powerful car, but they want a simple A, B,C car. A car with some 8 diff setting might excite us, it fails to enthuse any kind of enthusiasm in them.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:44   #85
BHPian

Generally, though women drive the car. The choice car is often done by her Father/Husband/brother. And we typically choose a safer car in terms of reliability, anywhere servicing facility etc.

When my wife wanted to buy a car. I encouraged her to make her own decision. Do reaseach, call up dealership, take test drive and negotiate etc. She did take that seriously and completed all the process without me in the picture. On the last day, she informed me that she is going to do the booking. When I heard that she is booking Estillo (), I tried convincing her to try few more cars, but she was determined on her selection . So I may not agree with her choice, but she is pretty happy witht the car. And it works out well for her.

Now only thing I am forcing her is to get rid of those tubed tyres and replace it with tubeless. I don't want her to end up with flat tyre in a lonely area. Tubeless is must for all women drivers.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:57   #86
BHPian

Recently got my wifey an i10 1.2 kappa. She loves the pickup of the car and chose it over 1.1. Also she wanted a manual and not the automatic. Like me she loves to drive and usually drives fast:-P
I'm indeed happy with i10 kappa. She loves the interiors and the space as well.
Good car for women who need power, compact size and non-automatic.

Last edited by ashish22 : 2nd August 2010 at 17:01.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Great write-up

I think some men who owns the cars mentioned above under this topic "just4her" would be little upset.

Since we have threads running where a big group of t-bhpians are saying that women are equally good or even better drivers than men, technically this thread - which recommends all the smaller, lighter hatchbacks for women - shouldn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
They want the car to be good looking. This is a fact women 'look' first and for them the visual appeal is pretty important. by this i do not mean that they will not look under the hood or anything, but what they would preffer is a good looking car.
Yea but sadly most of 'em don't have a clue as to which one is good looking and which one's not!

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd August 2010 at 17:09.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Great write-up

I think some men who owns the cars mentioned above under this topic "just4her" would be little upset.
Not at all

But one strange thing I observed, I see lots of women behind Indica steering wheel now a days!
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 15:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

sidindica: Thanks for the write up. Me and my wife are pndering over which car to buy in coming months, within tight budget of 2-3L. It will be mostly driven by her in city, and by both on highway.

Can you answer one query? We are on look out of car which has best driveablity for a 5.5 inch woman, but we need a tall car, because our parents have sitting problem in low slung cars. Which cars in less budget will have easy climbing in/getting out for elders?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 11:16   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Thread on the fairer sex' automotive preferences has been merged with Rtech's (excellent) older thread.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote