Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th August 2007, 13:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default What car does your non-auto better half like?

There are people out there that don't know squat about cars. It's always interesting to listen to their perspective on cars they like and cars they don't like. It is interesting because they often point out things you or I or the next enthusiast would probably never consider. A layman's point of view so to say. And a very significant area of interest to auto majors from around the world.

Take for example my wife. I ask her what car would she like to buy if she won the lottery. I expect a reply like Rolls Royce or Mercedes S class. "A yellow Zen and a Honda CRV" came the reply! I tell her the Zen is no longer in production, so she thinks about it and settles on a Yellow spark (because we just drove by a yellow spark on display at National Garage).

So, after questioning her a bit further, I find out her likes and dislikes, automotively speaking ofcourse.

She loves, and I mean absolutely loves the Honda CRV, the previous generation model. But only in white or black. The one car she loves more than that is the new/current CRV!

She hates the Safari. Same goes for the Scorpio, plus its too "bumpy" for her. However if she happens to see a woman driving these, she thinks its cool! Here's the catch, she likes the expensive SUV imports like the Land Cruiser and Montero.

She loves small, brightly colored hatchbacks. She loves the look of the Palio and the SRV. She even likes the look of the old Sienna!

I ask her what she thinks of the feminine Zen Estilo, which was made for the fairer sex. Nope, doesn't like it. The femininity is too obvious in that.

Her thoughts on T-BHP's favorite cars:
The OHC is just another car. Doesn't warrant a second look or thought. She finds it funny when I say "Baleno" - that's all on that car. She finds the Skoda's doors far too heavy.

The strangest bit is when she sees the same car in different colours and goes wow cool car and yuck, terrible!!

Nuts I tell you!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:43   #2
BHPian

Smile

My better half has an answer to her needs of having a car..... one statement... i Like Big cars.... then my question pops with a funny face big carrrrr???

wife:yes SUV (she does'nt know the full form but its ok she knows the word)
me: which ones?? indian for imports
wife: i like prado, pajero, hummer and ya ya i also like a black color range rover sport, and yeah i can also settle for a CRV too just thodi choti hai.. but its kkkk
Me: reason for liking these cars....
wife: they have a dont-mess-with-me attitude...

after that i was like goood.... i got the hints..... hahha

Last edited by SohailPistawala : 13th August 2007 at 14:44.
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

My wife likes the Ikon, which was an added factor when i considered buying one. If not the Ikon, she likes an Endeavour, nothing less. She says when she drives, thats the vehicle she would love.

Them aside, she also likes the Gypsy.

EDIT : Pretty much similar reasons as Sohail posted, explaining why she likes SUVs and 4x4s.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th August 2007 at 14:46. Reason: Replying to Sohail's point above
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
EDIT : Pretty much similar reasons as Sohail posted, explaining why she likes SUVs and 4x4s.
Dude its a message to us in short
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 14:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

90% percent of the females I have come accross love the Honda CRV.. dunno but that should encourage guys to buy the same
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 15:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

I remember watching Top Gear on BBC years ago (or was it an article I read in TG years ago?!?) where they surveyed a group of women. They had 2 guys, each with a different car.
Guy 1 had a souped up, rice racerish hatchback
Guy 2 had a Ferrari 356
Guy 3 had a Jeep Wrangler.

The hatchback was the least favorite. The women didn't like the attention all the wings, scoops and loud exhaust got.

The women loved the Ferrari, but the common impression was the the guy driving it would be just out to impress people with his money.

The one they all liked and the one they picked as the car they'd be driven home is in the Jeep! They liked the rugged, out-doorsey appeal of it.

So there you go! If you want to impress the ladies, get a 4x4!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 15:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread RTech,

Well I am not married yet but I have a girl friend who is a half auto and half non-auto freak.

This discussion often comes up when we are driving. She is an SUV freak and dreams to drive a souped up Gypsy in Red colour around town with huge wheels and tyres. At first the thought made me run for cover because SUV's don't amaze me. She learnt driving on a Tempo Trax and was famous in our circle of friends for driving around and outside Pune in a non-power steering assist Sumo. So I guess thats what gets her fascinated towards SUV's.
Her current car stable is full of Tata cars. Family car - Indigo Marina, Father's office car - Tata Indigo, cousin went to the UK left back an Indica to take care.
And need I mention that I feel proud when she says she likes my car
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 15:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

my wife is also in teh CRV loving gang- but the old CRV- she positively detests the new one.

one car she loves over all else is a red Hyundai Getz- dunno y, but she really likes that car.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 15:59   #9
BHPian

my wife likes any of the Mercs & Beemers but given a choice she would choose the S600 (the big boxy look) for its awesome road appearance and excellent paint finish. I could see this in her eyes everytime she saw a merc (S series) although she would not turn her head to look direct to the car it was eye contact.

So last year (on her birthday) I rented one for a full 48hrs and thats when she and me too were amazed at the amount of ""gadget stuff"", the roomy interior and the feel of a V8 (could not get the 12).

The Gypsy is her next favorite which she enjoys when in India. It was a tough fight for her to choose the Gypsy over the Classic.

this sounds funny but when she sees a CRV in flesh she does not like it so much but when she saw the same vehicle in the movie Apne she was WoW!!

Last edited by 2fast4u : 13th August 2007 at 16:02. Reason: crv stuff
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:17   #10
BHPian

Well I am not married as yet but you can say that I indeed have a better half.. My girl would not like to drive any car which is big and for her.. a sedan is Bigggg leave aside an SUV... Her dream car to drive is an alto ( well yaa ... she doesnt know how to drive and i gave up trying to teach her after she nearly ran over one of my juniors while trying her hands on my M800 in my college )... Her reason for that... Its small , drivable and cute. The other day I showed her a cayene to her..and told her that its porche and the reply came "the car looks like a pregnant elephant... whats wrong with porche"...
One car she has said "wow" to was an Audi A6 . She actually gave it a second look and surprised me with the rarest of her questions "What car is that?".... I was so happy to hear that.. I told her its an Audi A6 and the counter questions was "why did you buy a palio... why not the A6"... I didnt even bother to answer her..

Last edited by rishibravo : 13th August 2007 at 16:18.
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

My wife loves the ikon , the old crv and the safari
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:41   #12
BHPian

My wife hates big cars/SUVs (Scorpio, Safari, etc). I've been in the market for one for at least a year, and she's dead against it - finds them too cumbersome to drive in the city. The only one she likes is the CRV.

Anyway, I found out recently that she doesn't like very small cars either. I've had a Santro all along and she wanted me to get something bigger that is easy to drive in the city (read - no 3 box sedans).

She saw the Getz in an ad and fell in love with it. I couldn't consider the swift as she is the 3rd lady in the family, after my mother and sister, who cannot stand the look of it.

So, after a lot of deliberation, we've booked a Getz and are selling off the Santro this month. After a year or two, the Getz will be for her use exclusively and I'll finally get myself a 2.2L Safari. Perfect compromise.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
my wife is also in teh CRV loving gang- but the old CRV- she positively detests the new one.

Wow...
Good to see there is someone who likes the old CR-V and hates the new one.

Himanshu, you are lucky
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 16:47   #14
BANNED

Robin,

Ask her if she would like a Pink Swift complete with Ribbon and all with a twin cam 1.6l engine.

Coming back to the topic my wife loves the Santro Xing followed by the Getz. Reason is small car with a peppy pickup and decent boot size.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 17:02   #15
BHPian

My lady wants a bus... well,... like the one you can see in Meet the Fockers movie, or the part 2 of "Meet the parents", the one that the girl's dad choses to drive to meet her boyfriend's family? remember yeah?

Her justification is that whatever money I spend will then go into the same utility - home and automotive combined

Frankly I want to go and ask my bank if they can finance such a thing, so I will end up with one EMI and maintenance charge.

In reality she likes a LandCruiser.

Last edited by gbpscars : 13th August 2007 at 17:10.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote