Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2009, 18:30   #556
BHPian

Just saw 3 test mules on the Satara-Kohlapur highway, on my way back from Mumbai. Must say the front is almost the size of my Linea, inch to inch its the same size, just subtract the boot. Massive car for a hatch.
Old 7th May 2009, 21:02   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forget Swift, beating Fabia is what seems more realistic to me.
who wants to beat Fabia. It was never in the race in the first place. It cannot even compete with itself.

Last edited by dipen : 7th May 2009 at 21:03.
Old 7th May 2009, 22:49   #558
BHPian

The pricing looks good for the overall package that the Punto is.

The very fact that people have started mentioning the Swift and the Punto in the same breath means that Fiat are in with a chance now. Hope they grab this with both hands.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:43   #559
BHPian

I think the interior quality will play quite a big role in deciding between the GP and swift.

Do you buy a bigger car with nice interiors or do you buy a cheaper car, with bad interiors, bad finishing along with cramped space but with a hot engine?
(I own a swift vxi so those are my views on my car)

Also since we are talking about swift killing, won't the ritz help in that? Newer fresher along with SPACE IN THE BACK and priced BELOW the swift.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:52   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Also since we are talking about swift killing, won't the ritz help in that? Newer fresher along with SPACE IN THE BACK and priced BELOW the swift.
Please read through the ritz thread. it going to be priced above the swift.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:53   #561
Senior - BHPian

It's not going to be easy for a brand with a poor reputation in terms of A.S.S. like Fiat to shake up the very established Maruti brand and especially the Swift. No matter how good the quality of the car is, how well built it is etc., the average buyer will only be bothered about cost of owning and operating the car.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:53   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
I think the interior quality will play quite a big role in deciding between the GP and swift.

Do you buy a bigger car with nice interiors or do you buy a cheaper car, with bad interiors, bad finishing along with cramped space but with a hot engine?
(I own a swift vxi so those are my views on my car)

GP might well have to compete with Ritz. Swift will be for those looking to drive a hot engine with good handling (upgraded wheels). Maruti wouldn't mind I think.
Old 8th May 2009, 10:08   #563
BHPian

Confusion Confusion!
First things first,
According to the T-BHP forum Ritz would be priced slightly higher than the swift probably to compete with the i20 petrol and crdi (to be launched by end 09) and may be GP too.
But in my opinion it wudnt be fair to compare Grande Punto with swift.
Build quality of Fiat is miles ahead than Maruti. "Solid tank like build quality" are the words being used for Fiat Palio in many threads, but not a single mention about the same in any swift threads.
The diesel engine refinement of swift is better when compared to palio (now that needs to be checked with the Grande Punto).
Speaking of space, i dont need to explain that the Grande Punto is bigger and better. Swift's front seat are excellent but try to fit in a family of five in the car, complaints from the back seat are bound to come. (Loud complaints! cramped seats, bumpy ride)
Bumpy ride: cant expect much from ritz too in this department considering it would have a tall boy profile. (ofcourse!, i would love to be proved wrong here).

Grand punto being fresh and new there are bound to be comparisions with the benchmarkers in this segment especially in the diesel variant. Still i would consider the Grande Punto to be in a slightly higher segment.
My only concern is.. and a big one! Can Tata-Fiat A.S.S. handle the success of Grande Punto?
Cheers!
Old 8th May 2009, 10:09   #564
BHPian

not sure if this has already been discussed (apologies if it has) but is the 1.6 v12 or 1.9 v8 diesels being brought in or just the same ol' 1.3?
Old 8th May 2009, 10:26   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
who wants to beat Fabia. It was never in the race in the first place. It cannot even compete with itself.
It was a sarcastic remark! Beating Swift is out of question though ! I would love to see Punto beating i20, Jazz and so called premium hathbacks
Old 8th May 2009, 10:37   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Just saw 3 test mules on the Satara-Kohlapur highway, on my way back from Mumbai. Must say the front is almost the size of my Linea, inch to inch its the same size, just subtract the boot. Massive car for a hatch.

the linea is nothing but a very good boot extension of the GP for markets such as Turkey,India, etc

Last edited by pranava999 : 8th May 2009 at 10:40.
Old 8th May 2009, 11:06   #567
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I would love to see Punto beating i20, Jazz and so called premium hathbacks
That's something which sounds like comparison in same league. IMO, GP (which is fairly priced) can easily take on i20 and Jazz.

About Fabia, we might see it getting some high resale value, as people might want to buy antics!!!
Old 8th May 2009, 11:22   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
the linea is nothing but a very good boot extension of the GP for markets such as Turkey,India, etc
Its the "platform" they share ! Not like what you see in Dzire, Petra and Indigo etc
Old 8th May 2009, 11:31   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Its the "platform" they share ! Not like what you see in Dzire, Petra and Indigo etc
That is right. They share the platform. Otherwise, wheelbase was extended. The whole body and ergonomics were re-worked for Linea. Even then I think the front portion, width, height, interior looks and features were retained from Punto to Linea. With 90bhp multijet, Grande Punto at the speculated price will definitely sell like hot cakes in spite of Fiat's bad branding.
Old 8th May 2009, 11:36   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
The wheel base is also very different. It looks like Linea's wheel base is about 100mm more than Punto.

While Petra, Indigo and Dzire are sedans with boots stuck to their respective hatches, Linea is a little more than that. The boot is redesigned and I feel it is integrated well to the design. Also, as I mentioned, the wheelbase is considerably more in Linea. I am sure that Dzire and Petra have the same wheel base as their respective hatches, not too sure about Indigo.
Closed Thread