Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:12   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post

Would some one buy Punto if the mind blowing Linea is available for 1-2
lacs more?

Would some one buy ageing (but awesome) Palio if Punto is available for 1 lac more?

Either they should scrap Palio and reduce the price of Punto OR Reduce price of Palio if they want to sell all the three cars at same time!

Any thoughts?
This argument can be extended to any and every car available in India on this side of 10 lakhs! Why buy Swift if Dzire is available for 1 lakh more. Why buy Indica when Indigo is available for 1 lakh more. But still these cars sell, that too in huge volumes.
joslicx is online now  
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:19   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
@Ferro
(3)Again, IMHO, GP is one of the best looking hatches in the world.
+1 to that mate. I too think it is one of the best looking hatches with great visual balance. I am hoping against hope that the pricing will be on the right side of 5L (atleast the petrol version, please FIAT!!!)
Volt is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:20   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Looks are subjective buddy
I just love the looks of this car, as you can make out from my avatar



If you look at different markets where Punto is present, 75 bhp MJD is kind of given, but here they also have Palio which has 75 bhp MJD, so not sure if they bring in only 90 bhp version here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
These are two shots of the Punto 3 door taken by me last year in Switzerland. I was relatively unimpressed by the way the low spec Punto looked in real. It looked way better in pictures. Have a look at the wheel caps, you might see these on the Indian Punto.
I agree with you on that completely and it was just my opinion. However judging by these pics i still maintain i20 looks better.
i may buy GP becoz of its engine or price but wont for the looks for sure.

Last edited by harry10 : 23rd December 2008 at 19:21.
harry10 is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:26   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
Would some one buy ageing (but awesome) Palio if Punto is available for 1 lac more?

Either they should scrap Palio and reduce the price of Punto OR Reduce price of Palio if they want to sell all the three cars at same time!

Any thoughts?
The palio which we see here is one generation older. In 2010 we will be getting a new Palio.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th December 2008 at 12:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post & keep only relevant part. Thanks
ritz830 is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:27   #95
BHPian
 
maverickxx2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 183
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This argument can be extended to any and every car available in India on this side of 10 lakhs! Why buy Swift if Dzire is available for 1 lakh more. Why buy Indica when Indigo is available for 1 lakh more. But still these cars sell, that too in huge volumes.
I know there is no end to this argument but I'am saying this in context of FIAT cars. I'am not considering other cars.
The price bracket for Palio and Punto would be definitely confusing. For a person with budget of 5 lacs he might definitely want to push in 1 more for a punto.
maverickxx2006 is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:44   #96
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
looks to me similar like Linea or maybe I am wrong

Fiat needs to go back to design room and make cool designs like the i series from Hyundai.
Its actually the other way around. Linea was designed on Punto platform. Even then, it is not like it is a Punto with a boot.
Coming to the design, Punto is designed by legendary Giorgetto Giugiaro [ Giorgetto Giugiaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickxx2006 View Post
I know there is no end to this argument but I'am saying this in context of FIAT cars. I'am not considering other cars.
The price bracket for Palio and Punto would be definitely confusing. For a person with budget of 5 lacs he might definitely want to push in 1 more for a punto.
Why aren't you considering other cars? Your argument doesn't make sense if you are not applying the same logic to all cars.
Not everyone can strech their budget. Also needs are different, why will someone not interested in a sedan consider Linea when he is going to buy a Punto

Last edited by SilentEngine : 23rd December 2008 at 19:55.
SilentEngine is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:01   #97
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Pranav! awesome scoop- thanks for sharing the pictures mate.

Folks, in one of the tech spec pictures I see 4030 MM is the over all length. So shaving off 31 MM like FORD did to the FUSION(D) they can avail some benefits right? I hope FIAT is doing it.
nevertouchme is offline  
Old 23rd December 2008, 20:18   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,597
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Pranav! awesome scoop- thanks for sharing the pictures mate.

Folks, in one of the tech spec pictures I see 4030 MM is the over all length. So shaving off 31 MM like FORD did to the FUSION(D) they can avail some benefits right? I hope FIAT is doing it.
Make it cheaper so its even more of hot seller.
danlalan is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 00:13   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

great scoop dude!

one really cant make out the quality of parts on a test vehicle.
i loved the rear more than the front side.
in most of the cars its opposite for me.i like the front more than the rear.
shantyrocks is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 00:34   #100
BHPian
 
FERRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Any idea what is turning radius for GP ? Hope it will not look like a truck taking
turn.( always had this problem with fiat siena no matter who drives)
FERRO is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 00:35   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Wow! Im completely smitten by it. Agree with some - the low spec car may be sold in plain-jane avtaar. However the loaded version / after market fits can make this one look like a million bucks!

Now only if Fiat offer something exciting under the hood atleast as an option. It would be great to have a high revving 1.6 or 1.8 as a option. Now that would really complement the exterior well!
Zensi is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 01:08   #102
BHPian
 
sudipt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Looking at the snaps, I certainly think that the GP has some length shaved off in the rear bumper. The rear bumper reminds me of the Indica vista in some ways. I am not sure of the front bumper design though.
sudipt123 is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 01:35   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
It was a heart breaker in 2005 when it was launched and still has the capability to turn heads in 2009. But, I think the Hyundai i20 will take the cake now as far as looks and appeal are concerned. That car is a stunner from all angles, especially that very aggressive front end.
Although looks are subjective, I certainly like the GP better than the i20.
The i20 looks as if they could stop designing it while GP has clean classic well formed lines and a maserati'sfront. Cant believe you like i20 over the GP.... to put it in better words the i20 is flash while the GP is classier.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 02:27   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

i20 Vs Punto. A lot will will depend on the engine, features and price being offered. Hyundai surely has an edge with its network and success in India. For Fiat, a lot will depend on how well the Linea is accepted.
dipen is offline  
Old 24th December 2008, 02:28   #105
BHPian
 
roms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Agreed, yes the Punto does have the classier lines of the two, and it is a thoroughly well proportioned design. Then again, the spy pictures on this thread atleast look quite uninspiring. On the other hand the i20 is fresh from the oven. Its not necessarily a better design allround, but the overall stance is very aggressive and sporty, atleast it does look that way in pictures on the spy thread in the international auto section. If you compare what we've seen so far of the two here in India, I think the i20 promises to be a looker too.

If you notice, the Grande Punto has been on my list of obsessions since the time I joined this forum and there is a good reason for that. Just hope the Indian GP lives up to whatever I thought it would be like.

Last edited by roms : 24th December 2008 at 02:33.
roms is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
New Altis Launch 16th June !!! New Liva Launch 27th June camchennai The Indian Car Scene 218 24th June 2011 22:31
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01
Fiat to delay launch of Linea and Grande Punto ravi@64bhp The Indian Car Scene 199 24th November 2008 19:45
Fiat to launch Grande Punto in India turbofreak The Indian Car Scene 0 12th September 2006 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks