Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th August 2007, 11:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
3>VW toureg(50-65)(competing with its very own cayene)
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it Porsche that owns a share in VW and not the other way around? So Cayenne is not VW's product, ofcourse it is a different matter that Toureag and Cayenne share the same platform which was designed by Porsche.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't take this seriously. Even in North America, VW Jetta competes with Civic and Corolla. How will it, then, be priced with SX4 and City's in India? Jetta's are generally priced slightly higher then the Civic's and Corollas though to VW's credit they do provide better standard features then their competitors.

Quote:
This pic maybe of a souped-up limited edition one.
The car in the picture is the Jetta GLi. Thats the Jetta equivalent of the Octavia/Laura Vrs.

It will be nice to see the Jetta here though. Review of My VW Jetta.

Last edited by amit : 20th August 2007 at 11:46.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it Porsche that owns a share in VW and not the other way around?
Think you are right. But as a group VW is much bigger, so people tent to look the other way
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good lookin car.. hope it is launched at an affordable price and soon
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:42   #20
BHPian

The German invasion into India. The Japs better watch out. This time no British though.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 11:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it Porsche that owns a share in VW and not the other way around? So Cayenne is not VW's product, ofcourse it is a different matter that Toureag and Cayenne share the same platform which was designed by Porsche.

you maybe right mayavi, but that does not make any differennce,as what i am trying to speak about in the brand value of the VW brand,doesnt matter who sells it..did you get my point?
AMATMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You are right AFAIK.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:19   #23
BHPian

For the price of 7 to 9 Lakhs, we can expect the JETTA version in the following picture in India

Beijing Taxi on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Lord Lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 12:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hard to believe the price. Only if they bring in a different car but call it a Jetta.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hmmm, the car that shares platform with the Laura, having the 1.9 TDi from the Octavia, from a company that hasn't done much localisation of parts costing, 7-9L?

Seems hard to belive. but if that is the case, Octavia and Fabia are going to be hammered!

My thoughts as well, Skoda India being a company averse to local production.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 13:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The other aspect is that the bits wil come from mexico. Apparently, mexican built VW's are pretty dire
ajmat i thought they had shut the VW'S mexican plant or was it only for the production of the older generation beetle. please correct me if i am wrong

Quote:
porsche owns a share in VW and not the other way around. the cayenne and the touareg are built at the same factory and the design is of porsche. since VW is a bigger and has a wider range of products for the common man and porsche is known for its sports car and a limited range it is mistaken to be the other way around that VW owns a share in porsche
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 14:30   #27
BHPian

it's just speculation on the price for now, will have to wait for the launch.
Again, as in the case of Skoda, it may just be the diesel that may work for the indian market. Suzuki will have to bring in a diesel variant.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 14:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
ajmat i thought they had shut the VW'S mexican plant or was it only for the production of the older generation beetle. please correct me if i am wrong
The Mexican plant is still producing the Jetta and Beetle. After the pathetic reliablity of the last generation Jetta the Mexican plant was threatened with closure unless they improved the quality of the new Jetta. The results according to VW were impressive and Mexico was allowed to retain production of the new Jetta. This information was provided to me at the time of the Jetta's Canadian launch by VW Canada officials.

In fact, subsequently, there was talk that they would also be awarded with production of the Passat and Rabbit (Golf) for North America. I don't know what came out of this proposal though. Currently, both these cars are imported from Germany.

Last edited by amit : 20th August 2007 at 14:58.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 16:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Well, VW's Puebla plant is not Wolfsburg, but having travelled around in a Golf IV extensively when I was there, it did feel quite solid - the one I travelled in had done close to 100,000 mi

The older generation beetle is not produced anymore that is true. Even the Gol or Pointer as it was called in Mexico was quite good, I liked that better than the Golf - seemed to be bigger, but the 1.8l engine was quite a guzzler.
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2007, 19:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

thank you for the information amit and indivic much appreciated.

like neel said we need to wait for the car to be brought down and prices to be announced officially. after the brilliant passat and the touareg which i have grown to like after seeing her in the flesh and sitting in it (not much of a test drive person sorry guys) i wonder what they would come up with to keep up the standard. hope the jetta is something good for india.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote