Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th February 2007, 08:14   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Auto car washes also leave swirl marks on your bodywork
swirl marks do not happen if the car is washed in a touchless car wash.
its the dirty cloth used to clean the car which causes it.
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 12:56   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Marvel CarWash Equipment Pvt. Ltd., a Secunderabad-based subsidiary of
Marvel Group -- a NRI company based out of San Antonio, Texas, plans to sell fully automatic five-minute car washes in Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore and Mumbai.

Their 1st M-200 Automatic High Pressure Touchless Car Wash System was opened in Hyderabad on Thu. 8th Feb.

A facility typically costs Rs 25 lakh to install.
It has a static car and moving gantry type system.

Marvel has set up a Rs. 2 crore plant in Nagpur that will produce 200 machines a year.

Media reports that they're talking with Reliance, Essar Group, petro majors, builders and IT companies.
The Hindu Business Line : Marvel Car Wash to open stations in India

The regular model is to have pre-wash, soap and high-pressure wash.
Extra cost options which will supposedly pull more revenue from the consumer
are: Silicone Wax, Underchassis Wash and Hot-air blow dry attachments.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 19:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I take my car to a touchless car wash and it does an amazing job. But I notice that it uses about 10 times more water than the rotating brush one. I believe in places like Arizona, these type of machines are banned because of water scarcity.

People made comments about cost, but what about convinience and time??
If I was going to meet someone in 1 hour, someone I want to impress, and my car is dirty, where do I go to find a boy with a bucket to wash my car?...and wait for 1/2 and hour till he is done....not feasible. I can always go to a 2 minute car wash thats on the way and come out spanking clean. I think there is a future for auto car washes.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 21:27   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If I was going to meet someone in 1 hour, someone I want to impress, and my car is dirty, where do I go to find a boy with a bucket to wash my car?...and wait for 1/2 and hour till he is done....not feasible.
I solemnly swear this is true: I would get down to my chaddis and wash the car myself. That the neighbors might report me to the police is another matter.

I wash my car myself. Have had offers from the neighborhood busybody gardner abt his son cleaning the car, but a firm No from me silenced him. I dont even allow the car washing crew in the office to touch my car. If I aint washed me car, it aint done right, I believe. But then, I'm quirky and on the wrong side of sanity most of the times.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 00:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
Hey Aadix,
His plan is on the busy stretch of Panjagutta-Jubleehills-Hitechcity. It has some of the hightest 4-wheeler traffic. What do u think ??
-Chaxy
IMO that's a really really bad idea.
Reasons:
1) Independant bungalows all along that road.....the owners have their own drivers clean the cars every morning. Like GTO said, y overpay when ou can have the same or better service at 1\4 the price.
2) I used to take that route to GE everyday, it's too crowded, & overall most of the people working at HitechCity are from Secunderabad & not from that vicinity anyways.
3) People won't go that far to get their car washed.

Suggestions, why doesn't your friend try opening a 4 wheeler tuning & performance center, where you can tune your vehicle to perfection, for e.g fuel injector cleaning etc...at the same time you can provide a manual caar wash, complete with waxing , interior cleaning etc.

Again, this is my opinion only. Please do not be offended, it's your friends investment anyways.

All the best.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 10:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I solemnly swear this is true: I would get down to my chaddis and wash the car myself. That the neighbors might report me to the police is another matter.

I wash my car myself. Have had offers from the neighborhood busybody gardner abt his son cleaning the car, but a firm No from me silenced him. I dont even allow the car washing crew in the office to touch my car. If I aint washed me car, it aint done right, I believe. But then, I'm quirky and on the wrong side of sanity most of the times.
I haev to agree with theMAG here...
I too wash my car on my own... and feel pleased when i see it gleaming.
Initially had the apartments watchman clean it, but all he used to do was use a wet cloth, and wipe it. When that dried up, it wud leave swirl marks all over. Wasnt satisfied.... so, took it up myself.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 10:58   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

There will be people for whom a car with no caked mud on it is clean.

Then there will be people who just get the car washed and dripped dry by unskilled labor.

Then there will be people who must dust, wash, shampoo, rinse and towel dry the car themselves, followed by Carnauba wax and hand buff. People who wash and dry their hands before touching the leather steering wheel. Who dread every free-service visit to the dealer, because the car comes back with finger-prints that weren't there when it went to the dealer.

Finally there will be people who change the top of the dashboard when it appears a little weathered, people who change entire lighting units when the heat of the bulbs dulls the reflector a little.
People who get a top-coat repaint when the paint looks a little sun-tanned, people who clean the alloy wheels with a toothbrush and ArmorAll all rubber, leather and imitation leather surfaces.

These are the people who can make a 1957 model look spanking new and participate in the Pebble Beach Concours.

While the common BHPian merely proclaims, "Well maintained"!

Ram
Old 13th February 2007, 10:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you guys really wash your cars on your own everyday! I can understand if its once a week or weekends, but everyday!?!
I love my cars but its not really worth the time and effort to wash it on a daily basis.
How much does this touchless carwash in hyd charge?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 11:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

@Sahil : I wash my car on my own almost every alternate day. Takes me about an hour, and once done, I'm half spent. Also, considering that my apartment doesnt provide covered car parking, it ends up looking in much worser state than the way car dealers leave their cars before they are purchased by a customer. Alreay mentioned the issues i faced.. so have no other choice.

@ theMAG : Whats ur schedule like, bro?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 11:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@ theMAG : Whats ur schedule like, bro?
Dear Ben Kingsley,

I wash once a week, sometimes twice. Every other day the car is in use, after coming home I fluff dust it before putting the cotton saree that I stole from my mother, and the MGA car cover on top of it.

I had my car 3M Car Protection coated during the 2nd service in November at RNS Yeshwantpur. Since then, my car has an all weather wet gloss to it besides fending off small scratches. Since Nov therefore, I've no need to polish my car. Even on dusty days, simply blowing off the dust makes the car look washed - since dust doesnt stick to the body.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the tyredrome does have the automated car wash which i have used only once. Their interior cleaning is pretty good, but not worth taking an appointment for. It is just a fancy for the car owners. These things are required on highways & dirtroads where it is difficult to find someone to clean a grimy car.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 13:30   #27
Team-BHP Support

Ram,

Thanks for that! Any Indian Pebble Beaches?
Old 13th February 2007, 16:10   #28
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Ram,

Thanks for that! Any Indian Pebble Beaches?
No, there are pebbles and there are beaches,
both of which are not good for the cars!

Pebble Beach is a small private beach-side community in Monterey County, California, USA. It is best known as a privately owned golf resort town. In that way, somewhat like our Amby Valley Sahara Lake City. House owners pay license fees rather than municipal taxes. They have a Pebble Beach post office, but officially it's a part of Del Monte Forest, California.

The annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance auto show used to focus on classic cars. Nowadays manufacturers also exhibit concept cars and introduce new luxury cars at the show.

So a combo of the Pragati Maidan car show in Delhi and Amby Valley Sahara Lake City.
Old 13th February 2007, 17:58   #29
BHPian

we had one in Udaipur, Rajasthan. I guess the name was Lodha Petrol Pump and was very successful.

Its around 10 years and that time the whole petrol pump plus tha automated car wash costed him Rs. 1 Crore(Local news there)
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 18:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

My car gets a daily 'bucket' (no hose pipes) wash from the apartment caretaker. He's not very thorough, but at least dusts the car before applying wet cloth. Mixes the car shampoo in the bucket once a week. Finally wipes it dry too, with a dry cloth.

The MUL dealerworkshop I go to - Mohan Motors - uses a auto wash (brush type). They call it the 'top' wash and use it for all cars. This is followed by a coat of polish rubbed down manually. The auto wash is quick, but I don't find it too effective. The stubborn sticky dirt specks normally win the battle against the washer.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote