Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th February 2007, 20:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

There was one in Bangy sometime back in Lotus motors which has now closed down. Well it was a MASS but they used to cater to car washes too. I guess it was semi automatic and not the type where you sit in the car and drive thru the wash process.

As far as me can remember they charged Rs. 125/- for external wash and 250/- for full cleaning (internal and external).
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 12:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

I saw Marvel Carwash Station opposite Surana College, next to Citibank branch, near South End circle.
Any info on how much does it cost for a single wash?
Are there any more stations in Bangalore?

Video of their wash: http://www.marvelcarwash.com/video.swf

Last edited by msdivy : 12th July 2007 at 12:09.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 12:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I solemnly swear this is true: I would get down to my chaddis and wash the car myself. That the neighbors might report me to the police is another matter.

I wash my car myself. Have had offers from the neighborhood busybody gardner abt his son cleaning the car, but a firm No from me silenced him. I dont even allow the car washing crew in the office to touch my car. If I aint washed me car, it aint done right, I believe. But then, I'm quirky and on the wrong side of sanity most of the times.

Same here.
I believe in doing things myself without servants.
Though my mother highlights that this is only limited to my car and not the house :-)
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 15:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I saw Marvel Carwash Station opposite Surana College, next to Citibank branch, near South End circle.
Any info on how much does it cost for a single wash?
Are there any more stations in Bangalore?

Video of their wash: http://www.marvelcarwash.com/video.swf
it costs Rs 200/- , pretty nice job, better than manual wash, i had my palio washed here last saturday, would go there next time as well....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 19:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There was one in Bangy sometime back in Lotus motors which has now closed down. Well it was a MASS but they used to cater to car washes too. I guess it was semi automatic and not the type where you sit in the car and drive thru the wash process.
This system also had soft rotary brushes on both side and on the top as well that would give your car a gentle scrub after the detergent has been sprayed and just before the high pressure water spray comes on. It was a wonderful setup but somehow the owners were not serious about the whole thing. Ultimately even their MASS wound up.

It was a drive through system but the whole process was so impressive that one prefered to watch it from the outside. They also had the waxing option, though with an additional price tag.

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 12th July 2007 at 19:53. Reason: missed some info
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 20:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

I use a self-service carwash, even the touchless car washes leave fine residue of road dust clinging to the body sides, and offcourse there's always fine water-droplets that can be seen when observed carefully. Rims though need most of the attention. So do the underwheel arches. At home in India we have a pressure generator.

Car washing is more of a routine, so it never gets very dirty in the first place, so everytime my cars to be seen, its clean.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 21:32   #37
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Rims though need most of the attention. So do the underwheel arches. At home in India we have a pressure generator.

Car washing is more of a routine, so it never gets very dirty in the first place, so everytime my cars to be seen, its clean.
That we see in the photos of your black Fiat. Wish we could expend time and effort hand-cleaning the car in the morning. TheMAG does that too. Besides keeping the car concours gleaming, it is good for the owner's fitness too.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 21:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Wish we could expend time and effort hand-cleaning the car in the morning.
Simple! Do it at night, but the car should be under spot lights. Anyway in our garage the main problem is space. When the culture was built up, space wasn't a constraint. Dadu used to spend time looking at each panel of his machines and look/admire that panel after cleaning (as if he has been creative in just cleaning that panel!!)

Anyway, our Fiat is Velvet Green (blackish green) - It was black before (just like Planets car). Just OT, but black was somehow started to be considered inauspicious (after series of certain incidents), So the color of the car was changed, but nearest to black. However, I decided to not pay attention to that when I bought my Ikon. Interestingly, it is our most troublesome car till date!! (But I love driving it)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 14:52   #39
BHPian

Car cleaning is a more than a relegious ritual in our family. Sunday mornings are devoted to all the cars and bikes and each one of them is cleaned methodically. I have installed a high pressure motor for the water. The interiors are vacuum cleaned and just before the wiping part the blower end of the vacuum cleaners is used to blow out the water from all the niches and critical areas were the hand does not reach.
I really look forward to these days where I could be this close to my machines. Only thing depressing about the whole affair is when you discover a new scratch.

God bless..
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 14:31   #40

Is there an automated car wash facility in Gurgaon or Delhi?
khanakbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 11:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I take my car to a touchless car wash and it does an amazing job. But I notice that it uses about 10 times more water than the rotating brush one. I believe in places like Arizona, these type of machines are banned because of water scarcity.

People made comments about cost, but what about convinience and time??
If I was going to meet someone in 1 hour, someone I want to impress, and my car is dirty, where do I go to find a boy with a bucket to wash my car?...and wait for 1/2 and hour till he is done....not feasible. I can always go to a 2 minute car wash thats on the way and come out spanking clean. I think there is a future for auto car washes.
Not true, have stayed in Arizona for long time and have washed my car at automatic car washes so many times. In fact 1 in 4 petrol pumps have this facility.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 11:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
it costs Rs 200/- , pretty nice job, better than manual wash, i had my palio washed here last saturday, would go there next time as well....
Had gone to this station yesterday, unfortunately it was closed, may be because of Ganesha festival.

Its opposite to Caritor (IT solutions for old timers) office and looks like he can wash the under carriage, need to see how effective it is.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 20:35   #43

Of course, it is difficult but yes, it gives kind of satisfaction when I clean my car myself. I hired a boy to do it a few years ago and within the first week he scratched the plastic on the instrument panet. I guess he used the cloth to wipe some dusty part of the car and then wiped the plastic which is so prone to scratches. You can't expect someone else to be as careful about your car.

Always used to wash my bike also myself (till I sold it after driving it for ten years). And it maintained the paint quality as if it was bought only a few months ago.
Chandrainsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 06:55   #44

Suppose one installs the facility on a national highway?
I wouldn't mind spending a 100 bucks for exterior wash. Its rather convenient for people traveling miles in a dirt ridden car, also a drive thru restaurant would go along as well ;-)
Ashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2007, 10:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

It washes from both the outside and underbelly. But the water spray seems too strong, I hope it has no negative effect on the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
Suppose one installs the facility on a national highway?
I wouldn't mind spending a 100 bucks for exterior wash. Its rather convenient for people traveling miles in a dirt ridden car, also a drive thru restaurant would go along as well ;-)
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote