Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th August 2007, 08:58   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
these days,i see a lot of civics with scraped and damaged/bent lower side panels,probably due to getting damaged by speedbreakers etc.
its surprising to see that honda hasnt found a solution or atleast tried rectifying it.
yaa hell spawn even i noticed
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 09:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

From the posts and my personal experience, the Civic does bottom out at speed breakers and with full load. But a car has to seldom experience such situations, and for 95% of the time, Civic is an excellent car, which is more can be said for most cars, which boast of better speedbreaker capabilities.

I have a Corsa and a Corolla. I do not know how GC matters, because other things such as suspension set up, quality, etc do matter. I think Corsa has a lower GC than Corolla. Even then Corsa is better at damping at speedbreakers at Corolla. But Corolla is way superior than Corsa on normal and even patchy and bumpy roads, with very little feedback inside the cabin. In a normal situation where we experience 2-3 speedbreakers in 20-30 kms of driving, and intermittent bumpy and bad roads, Corolla is far better than Corsa (which is better at speedbreakers and worse in normal bumpy conditions).

So my conclusion is do not base your decision on GC. Drive it thoroughly 2-3 times at least in all real conditions.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 09:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

when will international car manufacturers understand indian road conditions before bringing on their vehicles here?[/quote]

Conversely, when will Indian civic and government agencies give us roads and traffic conditions fit enough for one of the world's biggest economies. There is only so much of technical mod that can be made for `bad road conditions'. If you are still not satisfied, either buy a truck, train, or helicopter; or launch a civic campaign for better roads that we the taxpayers deserve.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 12:38   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Conversely, when will Indian civic and government agencies give us roads and traffic conditions fit enough for one of the world's biggest economies. There is only so much of technical mod that can be made for `bad road conditions'. If you are still not satisfied, either buy a truck, train, or helicopter; or launch a civic campaign for better roads that we the taxpayers deserve.
thats why i have already started saving for a helicopter
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:39   #20
BHPian

Civic's ground clearance is a perfect example of "not much thought applied" or "no testing done on indian roads".
It should be made mandatory for manufactures to specify the Ground Clearance WITH and WITHOUT load.
What's the use of 170mm clearance if it becomes 100mm with passengers?
If it's a 5 seater, the manufacturer should mention the ground clearance of the car with a 300kg load (5 x 60kg average). It's a pity to see those expensive cars scraping each and every road hump.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:40   #21
BHPian

The ground clearance quoted by manufacturers should only be used as a reference. Dont ever base a decision on that parameter. Get a friend to drive the car over a bumb and see how high/low the car is off the ground. As to the Civic, i guess the long wheelbase leads to the car being high centered. That is the reason you see a lot of Civics with bent sills.
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:41   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
these days,i see a lot of civics with scraped and damaged/bent lower side panels,probably due to getting damaged by speedbreakers etc.
its surprising to see that honda hasnt found a solution or atleast tried rectifying it.

Incase of the civic if you hit a bump the part which comes in contact is the underbody skirting on the side directly below the door frame. A dent there is very easy if your car is fully laden and you hit a bump.

Incase of the lancer there are 2 rails running the length of the which protect the body panel from being hit. These rails have a 2-3mm rubber coating on it as well so you don't hear the metallic sound. If you scrape too many times the rubber comes off and you have to put it on again.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2007, 13:47   #23
BANNED

Hey, thanks for pointing this. I pity Civic owners

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
yaa hell spawn even i noticed
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 18:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incase of the civic if you hit a bump the part which comes in contact is the underbody skirting on the side directly below the door frame. A dent there is very easy if your car is fully laden and you hit a bump.

Incase of the lancer there are 2 rails running the length of the which protect the body panel from being hit. These rails have a 2-3mm rubber coating on it as well so you don't hear the metallic sound. If you scrape too many times the rubber comes off and you have to put it on again.
Not sure where you came with this info...
Even Civic has 2 rails running the length of the body which protects the underbelly, moreover there are no loose / prone to damage parts there.

Low GC when loaded is definitely a concern but looks like this is overly blown up. Even with full load of passengers and luggage, most speed breakers are not an issue, there are only few rare ones which are problematic. It is low and you have to be careful, that's it.

Like last weekend I did a trip from Bangalore to Chennai to Pondicherry to Bangalore (700 km) + lot of driving of kuccha roads (350 km) with 5 Adults, 2 kids and overloaded boot. I got scrapped at only 2 twice. Bad, yes, but not something it is made out to be!!!

Last edited by ST7677 : 3rd September 2007 at 18:35.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hearing all your views, i think the only DIY solution would be to use bigger 16'' alloys on slightly higher profile rubber, so that there is atleast 15mm-20mm increment to the GC. But then, are the wheel wells capable of fitting in 16 inchers ?
This will not help, unless you change the overall size of the wheel, which is not advisable, as it will affect power delivery and handling of the vehicle (and also odo /speed readings).

Quote:
Everytime the car bumps and scrapes, there is a chance of your catcons and mufflers being punctured and damaged beyond repair.
Civic has it's catalytic converter in the bonnet itself, and the Muffler is also recessed in the body. This was my concern earlier but there is not much to get damaged there, except the two rails which protect the body.

Still it sucks, this is the ONE and ONLY ONE bad thing about this car.

An easier and cheap solution to fix this is to get spacers added above your suspension. i still haven;t found the problem big enough to motivate me to do it. However for the other worried souls here, if that's a concerns than this is the cheapest way out for you, your friends and relatives
Old 3rd September 2007, 19:06   #26
BHPian

Am just back from a 700Km round trip from Chennai to southern TN and back on roads ranging from toll roads to absolutely mucky kaccha roads and scraped the bottom only once - not too hard but hard enough to hear it

I guess we have to respect the speed breakers in any part of India and slow down, I mean that's what they are for. If you make sure that you do not go straight over it but rather diagonally you scrape nothing - 99% of the time.

I guess it is to do with the transfer of the weight, which prevents the car from bottoming out. Mind you it is not the GC which is to fault but the longer WB .

@ST7677 - completely agree with you, that is the one things that sucks on the entire car
indivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 18:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures of Civic under belly, hope this will help people who are excessively worried....

Old 5th September 2007, 18:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

note: It doesn't have any engine protection from below... :(

going further

Some scraps can be seen...(after 1 year of usage) they are on additional projections built in the body to protect the car... They are all superficial and nothing very deep, though rust stains can be seen

Last edited by ST7677 : 5th September 2007 at 19:08.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Going further down...

That big black thing is the reinforced fiber tank for petrol.
Old 5th September 2007, 19:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Are those scrapes cos of the body hitting the road?

Last edited by reignofchaos : 5th September 2007 at 19:03.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote