Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th September 2009, 12:23   #61

Stability; youíre right, it was a problem. The first time I took it into a curve loaded, I thought it might go over!
Itís not as topheavy as it looks though; most of the weight is under the floor.
I went back to work; upgraded the rear suspension to the 6 ton truck spring set, added 2 leaves to each front set. Then I added both front and rear stabilizer [anti-roll] bars, which werenít included in the stock chassis I bought. Now it handles really well, very flat in curves and plenty of suspension travel too.

Weíre white, so we make a scene anywhere in rural India; it most places, people left us some space. Other places seemed to have a lot of rude people. I donít think the size of vehicle made much difference.
A tempo traveler would certainly be more discreet, much cheaper, and easier to drive. But itís too light and small to carry much of what we wanted; firstly, a big water tank. Secondly, an AC generator, and thirdly, my motorcycle.
The big truck is a much nicer living space, but yes, you then have a big truck!
These are fundamental choices. Iíve met people traveling and camping by cycle, motorbike, car, jeep; some have bigger trucks than mine, up to 12 meters and 12 tons. It also depends on how long you want to be on the road. My truck is built to live in for indefinite periods; that would be tough in a tempo [but Iíve met people in similar vehicles who do].
Having a separate vehicle [my bike] to get the shopping is a huge plus when you have a nice camp set up somewhere.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 06:44   #62

By seeing photos I can say it Still needs more refinements. A good attempt..
ashoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 15:15   #63

A good attempt, but not a practical vehicle for camping i think. RVs in US costs cheaper, less noise, better toiletes. We are living in a developed countrty. Things will take time to shape up and may be by 10-15 years we'll be getting RVs in India too.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 14:55   #64
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: An indian camper anyone?

I love this:

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote