Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: are indian drivers better than other nation driver -
a) yes 14 32.56%
b) no 25 58.14%
c) cant say 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th August 2004, 00:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well,to be frank NO.They dunt have no sense of driving.They dunt know the proper usage of lanes,indicator etc etc.One of the main reasons is the mentality of the people,and secondly apna Paandus.
20 bucks is enuf to jump a signal n drive away....

P.s : 1 thing i agree on is,if u can drive in india...u can drive in any part of the world....

Keep Rockin!
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 12:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Over here, everything is a potential hazard and you need to act fast. If you go abroad, you still view everything as a potential hazard even though everyone is disciplined hence once you have been integrated into the system, you actually become a lot faster and more savvy since you have been in worse situations - iei handling queues, taking calculated risks etc.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 13:11   #33

What about giving cops a share in the challan collected. Make it 20% and then see then challan. *
gurdeep_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 14:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (amit @ July 10 2004,23:50)]Indian drivers are the WORST in the world. Everyone thinks he is the best and most perfect driver around.
That is true worldwide. I remember being told of a survey of drivers in the USA. 85% of drivers described themselves as "above average" drivers.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2004, 15:33   #35
BHPian

There's one fundamental rule about driving in Indian cities - assume every other driver is both dumb and feeling especially homicidal!
neverclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 20:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

The 2nd fundemental rule is that ...dont bother about anything , assume the driver of the other car will take care of us and him too !!!!
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2004, 01:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ July 13 2004,14:34)]One more thing i've noticed (especially down south) is that they don't know the difference between "rash" and "fast" driving.
Very true. People usually associate driving fast with being rash. I drive pretty quick when the conditions and environs permit, but my relatives in *Kerala see me as a reckless and rash driver just because I go fast. Damn !!

Here in Delhi, the average speed (conditions permitting) of the motorist is pretty much higher than in the south. But in this case, most of the fast drivers are pretty rash too. And majority of the slow drivers are on the fast lane. If someone here is a daily driver through the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road, he should be knowing. What with all the call-centre Qualises and Sumos, and their wannabe Schumi pilots......its damn scary.

It's all about attitude like most of you guys said. If that doesnt change, we'll still be where we were.
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2004, 01:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Oct. 25 2004,18:48)]The 2nd fundemental rule is that ...dont bother about anything , assume the driver of the other car will take care of us and him too !!!!
Reminds me, when i was driving in Hyderabad, my friend kept telling me to watch just my side of the car and not bother about the left side. The driver on my left would take care of that *
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 23:32   #39
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (manticore @ Oct. 26 2004,23:32)]If someone here is a daily driver through the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road, he should be knowing. What with all the call-centre Qualises and Sumos, and their wannabe Schumi pilots......its damn scary.
tell me about it....... I have to drive through the left lane to get rid of the slow first lane. And i actually have to push those 2 wheelers (who just drive like a big group of unorganized bicycles) aside to make my way.

And the Qualis.... uff.... they are on F-I-R-E.... but mostly I cool them down.

I somehow feel the Qualis's on the NH-8 stretch are much much worse.... doing 80-90km/h ... with a 6 inch margin. thatís where I back off.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 00:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

no indian drivers suck in terms of discipline...but in terms of instinctive driving we are tops.

Drifter

drifter is offline   Reply With Quote