Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica - Which one is ur choice??
WagonR 70 37.63%
Santro 55 29.57%
Indica 61 32.80%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th February 2005, 10:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Islero, the wagonr is leading because TBHPians are more informative and intelligent about cars than the general public which relies on big celebrities like SRK or PZ on idiot box to make a car 'exciting' and 'wonderful'.
No wonder the Santro sells more than the wagonR.... but what if tommorow you were to see an adv of wagonR with say Sania Mirza or Narayan Karitikeyan or maybe even Aamir khan..??
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 20:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

:
santros and all sell because of celebrities.
my brother had a recent accident on his santro and fractured his wrist last night
any reason why..
his car banged into 5 cars and i havent seen it but it sounds as though it is totaled
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 20:57   #48
BHPian

None of the above- I'd vote for the Palio 1.6GTX, but sadly.... Hey, wonder how good the Chevrolet Aveo'll be??
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 21:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Aveo is the Deawoo Lanos
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 21:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

it's unfair to say that the santro is leading because of SRK or PZ. the fact is, the santro IS pretty much the best city car you can buy, IMHO.

the engine is peppier at lower revs, and this is a lot more useful in bumper to bumper traffic than having high-rev power. Infact, the santro's peak torque comes around 3000rpm, and i don't think the japs can match that.

the santro also does look slightly better, even in its old form.

i don't know how much of a diff maruti's eps makes in the city (i've driven the wagonR), but im not sure it's really such a big advantage.

agreed, the rear suspension is bumpy and the clutch is stiff (i like that!), but the ergos and seating position and view are so much better in the santro.

i guess, in the end, they're evenly matched (contradicting myself!), but hey, i voted with my chequebook, and i've owned a santro!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 22:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

yes, wagonR does suck big time on its exterior looks, rear legroom, and narrow seats.....
but santro has got it own set of problems too (just checked out today, the boot space is less compared to the wagon... and there are no side arm rests on any of the seats!.. + the fact that the car is unstable beyond 90+ .. and hard seats )......

But if you were to look at the overall package , i think WagonR is slightly ahead of Santro... owing to a slightly peppier engine, taller boy (the original tall boy car) structure, better breaking, better fuel efficiency etc..... + the maruti service network... and the car's reliability being a tried and trusted suzuki engine...(i also read somewhere wagonr is more safer because it got some protective thing inside the dashboard that absorbs shock in case of a collision...not to forget the airbags..)

Last edited by DCEite : 20th February 2005 at 22:26.
Old 21st February 2005, 11:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

hey V1P3R man
santro is a good city car but a maruti wagonR is a better city car.
it has EPS, space , comfort , good FE , good a.s.s , easy to maintain and a whole lot more then the wagonR
its just that wagonR has not been marketed as well as the santro and the interior design of the santro is just more appealing
Old 21st February 2005, 21:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

hey lambo

your reply reminds me of a point which i forgot to mention, the interiors.

after almost 5 years and 60k, the santro interior is still fresh. the design is lovely, and the finish is top notch. there are no squeaks or rattles, and the surface colour hasn't bleached.

but in the end, the cars are pretty evenly matched. certain facets may appeal more to certain people. i woudn't give my santro up for a wagonR! But then, there are probably a lot of people who would say the reverse!

far from 1000+ cc cars, long live lambos!

viper
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 22:09   #54
cnu
BHPian

I think santro scores out mainly because of its looks.... Added to this was the poor marketing of wagonr since its launch....
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

lol...
long live lambos ... i like that
CNU i agree with you 100% about the wagonRs poor marketing.. thankfully it has improved
hyundai on the other hand is trying to improve looks ... if you notice the santro is more of a car that has feeling of high quality associated which wins have tha battle..
what a customer notices first is the looks, quality of the car and if all this is good then a major part of the battle is won and this is where hyundai scores wheras maruti scores on other aspects which wont grab a layman customer (i.e non enthuiasts) like reliability, performance, ease of maintainance, space, comfort...
by saying this i do not mean to insult any T-BHPians who own santros.. everyone ha their own reasons for buying a car and if i were to be the only person to drive the car even i would get a santro but for a family the wagonR is better
Old 22nd February 2005, 12:46   #56
BHPian

mera bharat mahaan

its the black indica for me on this one, esp once the turbo diesel is launched....i think its the best looking of the lot....give it an upsized rim and nice wheels and the car will look much much better....

then comes the economy of diesel and the fact that it is a hardy tata vehicle....the aircon is alright, NVH isnty bad....the seats are broader than the wagonr, more conf than the santro, and with 75 odd horses on the turbodiesel i think it would be a decent bargain.....

you sacrifice acceleration and refinement for cost of ownership and that invariably is the key determinant in the b segment.....

we've yet to see the SAntro CRDI and Wagon R diesels (the maruti-fiat venture )...these will come in and shake things up, but till then, patriotism prevails! After all, JC rated the city rover better than the hyundai accent
maedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 17:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wagon R for me. Backed by a Maruti network and japanese reliability, there's not much more you can ask for in a car in that segment. Its a bit more practical than the Santro 'cos it has a bit more space. I hate how Hyundai copied the Wagon R looks for their Santro Xing. The older santro was so much better looking but it lacked power. The only thing going for the indica is the space but the cons seriously outweigh the pros.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 18:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
I hate how Hyundai copied the Wagon R looks for their Santro Xing.
Are you talking about the new look santro? I dont know. But some of my frineds who have been to korea, say that the early version of santro(this version wasnt sold in india) was a copy of Wagon R. I guess that the very concept of "tall boy" model is from suzuki... i may be wrong though.

For me a fully loaded wagon-R(in black or yellow) is much more pleasing to eye than a santro. Apart from that, i think there is very little difference between these 2 cars.

Last edited by gkrishn : 22nd February 2005 at 18:33.
gkrishn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 18:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn

For me a fully loaded wagon-R(in black or yellow) is much more pleasing to eye than a santro. Apart from that, i think there is very little difference between these 2 cars.

Have seen some black vxi models with sporty spoiler and cute wheel caps... looks way better than any small car.....
Old 23rd February 2005, 16:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Are you talking about the new look santro? I dont know. But some of my frineds who have been to korea, say that the early version of santro(this version wasnt sold in india) was a copy of Wagon R. I guess that the very concept of "tall boy" model is from suzuki... i may be wrong though.

yes, i was referring to the current generation santro. IMO, the 1st generation santro looked much better than any WagonR or the new Santro.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote