Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica - Which one is ur choice??
WagonR 70 37.63%
Santro 55 29.57%
Indica 61 32.80%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 01:07   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

among these 3 cars ive driven them alot... my vote anyday goes for the Wagon R, Good heighted,smooth, very comfi ride,good average also.
_________________
Never go above 60inCITY
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 01:30   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Indica for now,but i have a feeling that its inherent strengths(whatever that may be) will be under threat from the newcomer's.
Desert fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 01:43   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Santro is the best car acc. to me!!.The Wagon R is a 'dabba' and i wonder why it is so popular??!!....My dad owned a 2002 ZipPlus that gave him trouble free service and he traded it in last year for a 2006 Xing XO eRLX that is also a pleasure to drive!...It is high time to knock out the stranglehold that Maruti-Suzuki has on the average indian car buyer!....
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 02:38   #79
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 78
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool Santro rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Santro is the best car acc. to me!!.The Wagon R is a 'dabba' and i wonder why it is so popular??!!....My dad owned a 2002 ZipPlus that gave him trouble free service and he traded it in last year for a 2006 Xing XO eRLX that is also a pleasure to drive!...It is high time to knock out the stranglehold that Maruti-Suzuki has on the average indian car buyer!....
hey,
I would say santro rules but people prefer wagon-R as it is suzuki and the parts of any Suzuki are cheap and easily available ,also the suzuki i feel has a better pic up and is a zippier engine than a santro but then again the shape puts me off as it is very tall and might topple on sharp turns, compared to a santro, As far as Indica is concerned it is again tata so we know that with past experience of our own or seen with others that there is some fault or the other with that car ,and there is high maintenance with Indica after 2-3 years.
WILDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 08:47   #80
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,770 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
hey,
I would say santro rules but people prefer wagon-R as it is suzuki and the parts of any Suzuki are cheap and easily available ,also the suzuki i feel has a better pic up and is a zippier engine than a santro but then again the shape puts me off as it is very tall and might topple on sharp turns, compared to a santro, As far as Indica is concerned it is again tata so we know that with past experience of our own or seen with others that there is some fault or the other with that car ,and there is high maintenance with Indica after 2-3 years.
Dont understand your post...

Are you saying wagonR has better pic up, zippier engine, cheap and easily available service, and still santro rules!!! he he... On what points???

As far as the stability goes, having driven both, i felt wagonR is more stable... Have you driven the wagonR ??? (Asking cause you mentioned that it 'might' topple)

As far as the looks go... I frankly admit, the Santro Xing looks better than old model wagonR (mine included)... But, i feel the newer wagonR has upped this aspect, and looks better and fresher than the Xing..
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 13:32   #81
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 78
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool Santro rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Dont understand your post...

Are you saying wagonR has better pic up, zippier engine, cheap and easily available service, and still santro rules!!! he he... On what points???

As far as the stability goes, having driven both, i felt wagonR is more stable... Have you driven the wagonR ??? (Asking cause you mentioned that it 'might' topple)

As far as the looks go... I frankly admit, the Santro Xing looks better than old model wagonR (mine included)... But, i feel the newer wagonR has upped this aspect, and looks better and fresher than the Xing..
Hey,
I know the wagon R has a faster pic up and all but i feel the santro Xing not only looks better but the drive is smoother,I have had both and i also drove the Wagon-R on 2 right wheels on a small turn near bon bon -7 bunglows, at the speed of 70, where the santro held the ground ....Both with stock tyres and same position,Santro is much more stable over the turns where as in a wagon-R one speed twitch turn and the car topples.
My brother has done that i know.
Cheers.
WILDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 15:49   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,770 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
I know the wagon R has a faster pic up and all but i feel the santro Xing not only looks better but the drive is smoother,I have had both and i also drove the Wagon-R on 2 right wheels on a small turn near bon bon -7 bunglows, at the speed of 70, where the santro held the ground ....


You qualify for the next round of extreme crazy stunts...

How about some wheelies, stoppies, drifts and sideways action too???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 19:34   #83
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I would go for Santro for its,

1. Super smooth transmission
2. Exellent build quality (my 5 yr old car that has been used in a fairly rough manner on really bad roads, but has been virtually trouble free)
3. Good A.S.S. (Trident Hyundai)
4. Very manouverable in a city like Bangalore where footpath driving is a norm!
5. Decent mileage ( I get about 13 kmpl in city with Ac)

I have a Wagon R back in my home town which i dislike, especially for its poor gear shift and odd styling. I also had some technical troubles (suspension and electricals) with that car even though it was much less used and drive on better roads.

Indica is not comparable with these. More of a Taxi car.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 21:58   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 138
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Indica, reasons are lots of space, bigger engine, more power, stability.
Adi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 04:34   #85
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 78
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post


You qualify for the next round of extreme crazy stunts...

How about some wheelies, stoppies, drifts and sideways action too???
i would love to do all of the above but wheelies in a santro with the same engine is next to impossible same with stoppies .drifts and side ways if i every try...will be last time i will ever get a car as it would definately topple over....lol
WILDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 08:15   #86
BHPian
 
carCrazy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
i cannot understand why those englishmen find cityrover a decent car...
Top Gear's James May said it is the worst car they had ever driven.
The TD they made was using all hidden cameras

Here's the youtube link
carCrazy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 15:30   #87
BHPian
 
Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: India
Posts: 211
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

This topic whenever starts can never end. To each his own, however practically Maruti is better because of better engine and long term maintenance free as well as higher fuel economy. Even in the below poll, WagonR was the clear winner. Latest sales are also higher for Maruti WagonR + Zen Estillo + Swift Petrol + Swift Diesel ... - more than Santro. Maruti's range is much wider and more confusing as well now. Almost 10+ variants and each segment having 2-3 further sub sections.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-s-indica.html (WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-r-santro.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ls-santro.html (February Performance : Indica no.2. Wagon R outsells Santro)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-position.html (History rewritten - Santro takes NO.1 Position!!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-segment.html (JD Power - WagonR rules roost in its segment)


Santro eRLX's rear seats provide good under thigh support - IMHO better than Maruti's Wagon R however it is slightly bumpy on bad roads but it is tolerable.

Technology wise WagonR is more advanced than Santro. Duo WagonR costs only Rs 1.5 to 1.7 per kilometer however Santro costs Rs. 3.6 to Rs. 4.25 per kilometer to run

Wagon R-
Price of LPG - Rs 25
Mileage - 14-16
Cost per km - Rs 1.5 to 1.7


Santro -
Price of Petrol - Rs 52
Mileage - 12-14
Cost per km - Rs 3.71 to Rs. 4.33

Price difference - Around Rs. 40,000
Running Cost advantage of Wagon R - Rs. 2.45 Average
Recovered in 16,326 Kilometers or 1360 km per month. Basis my usage, this can be recovered in 1 yr flat. Moreover you should have at least one fuel efficient car in your garage for cheap run abouts and long city / distances which is small in size to zip through the city's chores.

Now what is your usage?
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 16:01   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,734
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post

Technology wise WagonR is more advanced than Santro. Duo WagonR costs only Rs 1.5 to 1.7 per kilometer however Santro costs Rs. 3.6 to Rs. 4.25 per kilometer to run

Wagon R-
Price of LPG - Rs 25
Mileage - 14-16
Cost per km - Rs 1.5 to 1.7


Santro -
Price of Petrol - Rs 52
Mileage - 12-14
Cost per km - Rs 3.71 to Rs. 4.33

Price difference - Around Rs. 40,000
Running Cost advantage of Wagon R - Rs. 2.45 Average
Recovered in 16,326 Kilometers or 1360 km per month. Basis my usage, this can be recovered in 1 yr flat. Moreover you should have at least one fuel efficient car in your garage for cheap run abouts and long city / distances which is small in size to zip through the city's chores.

Now what is your usage?
Boss how can you compare running on LPG to running on petrol. And an LPG kit can be installed in a Santro with the 40k difference. However if you want it as a factory installed option which is definitly better you can go in for a Wagon R. However to say tht a Wagon R is technically more advanced is pushing it a bit too far.

Last edited by khanak : 11th February 2007 at 16:11.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 17:00   #89
BHPian
 
Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: India
Posts: 211
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

This is because both fall in roughly same segments. A person can spend slightly more on WagonR to save on later running costs. It becomes really easy to spend 500-600 Bucks on filling up the tank on LPG vs Rs. 1820 on Petrol as psychologically many feel that the are actually spending 250 bucks only on petrol for going to that movie for the night or for submitting that form.

LPG kit can be installed in Santro at your own risk. I had also thought of installing a CNG kit in WagonR by going in for Rs. 40000 discount today on a Lxi but the current fire incidents are really horrifying. Safety comes above anything else.

I am not against Santro. It may suit some category of people better. I like it's smart looks better than WagonR but technology comes over looks as I spend wisely and carefully.

Here is a technical and overall comparision of the above 3 cars :-
Maruti Wagon R Duo LXi vs Maruti Wagon R VXi - BS III vs Hyundai Santro Xing XL eRLX - Euro III vs Tata Indica V2 Xeta GLS - BS III | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com India

Cars whether having micro computers or better technology inside are ok. after all purpose is to go from point A to point B with sufficient comfort and for that any car is good.

Maruti Wagon R is technically advanced in these parameters -

32 bit on board microprocessor.

Electronic Power Steering which adjusts according to speed and is a delight to use in city as against Hydraulic one in Santro. Hyundai has not kept this in its latest Verna.

4 valves per cylinder resulting in higher economy even after 1 lac km and better throughput by the engine. Santro has only 3 valves.

Japanese technology. Hyundai is also good but not as good as Japanese. Japanese products and games / toys also lasted longer. Normally Koreans like to make more attractive products by using a slightly lower technology. LG/Samsung vs Sony TVs is well known. Why is Sony priced higher although both look almost same.

WagonR is less wider so it's easier to move through the bumper to bumper traffic and it slightly less space is also ok for parking. High Boxy looks allow for carrying even small refrigerators inside the WagonR that's why the name wagon. It's easier to carry more luggage tucked up one over the another.

WagonR looks slightly more fresher because of the recent makeover. However the new Santro 2008 version is likely going to be the best head turner. Santro sells more because of good pricing and better looks. Many people only go for looks and shy away from Desi Maruti factor which they do not like at the back of their mind even though the reliability may better in Maruti. But people are so rich nowadays that they have money to throw around. So they do not bother.

WagonR will have higher resale value because it is newer and Santro 2008 version will be available soon. It is a smarter financial investment and going by the rules of financial investment on NPV, WagonR is better.

WagonR's AC is more efficient as I felt it. I need higher cooling power and the Santro standing in sun needed 15 minutes to cool and moreover the it's 'cool air' was not as good as it should have been. Even sitting inside the Santro, I was literally sweating. Only some time later I felt that it was better.

Santro is also quite quiet when the engine is at idle which is good. Overall both are equally good however by spending 40000 rs more on Wagon R Duo you end up saving almost Rs. 121,254 'More' over a 5 yr period basis my usage of 1620 Km per month. And WagonR runs purringly even after 5 yrs because of that engine alone.

Also as per poll in this thread on Team BHP WagonR won -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-s-indica.html (WagonR v/s Santro v/s Indica)

Like I mentioned this topic never ends. So peace be there !
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2007, 22:01   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

I will take the jap technology any day over the koreans.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags BoneCollector Hatchbacks 35 22nd May 2015 11:49
First car - Santro/WagonR/Alto/Estilo/Indica/Getz Prime/Spark/Palio 1.1/i10 simonkayar Hatchbacks 191 13th June 2009 12:21
WagonR or Swift?(calling swift and wagonR owners) rajshenoy Hatchbacks 43 29th March 2007 09:54
Indica or Santro/WagonR ? DCEite Hatchbacks 6 30th January 2005 10:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks