Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd September 2004, 11:21   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, Fiat seems to be highly confused or its got two marketing departments. Yesterday there was an ad on a Rs. 20000 discount. Today theres an ad giving a special offer for the same period (until september 30) and there is free insurance and registration on the Fiat Petra.

Whats up? Cos the insurance and registration would amount to more than 20000. Has Fiat officially lost it?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 14:11   #17
BHPian

Same ad in the Delhi paper....but it mentions the price at 4.77L apart from the free insurance, registration and music system. So i guess thats the price on road!
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 17:14   #18
BHPian

The Fiat Petra was first launched in Egypt??

[img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img]
neverclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 19:22   #19
BHPian

Hi All. I've been lurking here for sometime and has become a member just now. I have been following the very very educative discussions here to decide on a new car and has more or less finalized on Fiat Petra 1.6. I got a test drive today and it met most of my expectations. I would like some advice from members on some points

1) How does one really make sure its not a re-badged Sienna ? I saw the post by DOHC to look for catalytic convertor etc, but its not practical unless one takes it to a workshop. I took a look under the wheels but could not see much. Is there a simple test ?

2) I still like the open/airy feel of Esteem very much. Is it because I have been driving one forever or does any one here feel some of these new midsize cars make one feel claustrophobic ? Petra has higher front seats compared to back, so that there is lots of leg room in the back. Legs go under the front seat. But now you cannot see the road from the rear seats and thus cannot anticipate the braking and brace for it. It was quite irritating to sit in the back seat and get thrown around without warning when my friend was test driving it in traffic. We usually have a driver.

3) I still think Esteem acceleration and fun-to-drive factor is much more than Petra.

4) Its a little hard to see the road immediately in front of your car in Petra (i'm not very tall). Would it make sense to add a couple of inches to the seat height by doing a custom sponge/leather cover on top of factory one ? Might also add to the plush feel..

5) What is the cost of a new Esteem with comparable goodies ?

The price quoted for Petra was 4.8 Lac on road with free JVC music system. Apparently its costlier than delhi (4.77) because of taxes

Also, there is no keyless entry, one has to fit AutoCop seperately. The mirrors are manual and interiors are adequate. The dials are little funny with white bg with green and red lines around them. Supposed to be a sporty look.

What do you guys think ? Would you really buy Petra over Esteem even keeping in mind the cost of spares etc ?
Dovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2004, 19:36   #20
Team-BHP Support

Hi Dovin,

Welcome to T-BHP!!!

This is the best time to buy a new 1.6 Petra as the deals offered are simply amazing! Lemme try and answer some of your questions though and clear up some doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]1) How does one really make sure its not a re-badged Sienna ? I saw the post by DOHC to look for catalytic convertor etc, but its not practical unless one takes it to a workshop. I took a look under the wheels but could not see much. Is there a simple test ?
The Petra is a Siena is a Petra! Its basically the same car albeit relaunched with a different name. While the Siena first came out with the 1.2L engine as now found ont he Pailo, the Petra was launched only with the 1.6 liter 100 Hp petrol engine (and the diesel but thats another story). While it may be possible that there are a few old Siena's still unsold, no new car dealer will try and cheat you by selling you a 1.2 siena instead of a 1.6 petra! Rest assured! And, all cars come with cat. converters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]3) I still think Esteem acceleration and fun-to-drive factor is much more than Petra.
If you are looking purely at the engine, then the Esteem beat the Palio, due mainly to its lower weight. BUT, that lower weight also means a weak, outdated body, lousy suspension and safety that is 10 yers behind the Petra. Forget the Esteem, its way past its sellby date. Some large tyres and the Petra will run rings around the Esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]4) Its a little hard to see the road immediately in front of your car in Petra (i'm not very tall). Would it make sense to add a couple of inches to the seat height by doing a custom sponge/leather cover *on top of factory one ? Might also add to the plush feel..
Well, most seatcovers come with an inch of padding. That should be sufficient for you. As far as seeing the fron tof the bonnet, I don't think you can find a modern day car that allows you that priviledge anymore. You need an SUV if you want that! Or a Amby!!!

While on paper, the Esteem may seem a match for the Petra, this simply is not the case out on the road. The Petra has it beat in (real world) performance, handling, safety, interior space and boot space. The only area where the Esteem holds up is FE and maruti service.

For more info, check out a T-BHP review of the Petra.

RT

Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 08:54   #21
BHPian

I bought the 1.6 Siena ELX SP in 2001 for 7.5 including insurance and tax. Have been generally happy with the performance and service. Its a great car to drive (the accleration makes overtaking most other vehicles on the road a breeze) and gives a solid secure feel on long trips. My only gripe is that when I sell it its going to fetch me zilch with the identical Petra almost at half price, new.
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 21:04   #22

"Fiat has just slashed the price of its awesome 1.6 DOHC 100bhp Petra by Rs.20000. Thus the ex-showroom price is now 4.57 lacs in Bombay"

I just wonder if this is really true, I also am trying to buy a Petra for the reason that it is technically a very good car. Auto car India also mentioned this , however Local dealer (sundaram auto mobiles) refuses to offer the deal. They also got Fiat call me and say "sorry this can not be offeered unless dealer picks up 20+ cars per month" This is after one guy in Fiat (may be a top rank) said it is available with local dealer.
drc_shekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 21:46   #23
BANNED

[u]well gto wat abt the fuel consumption wont that eat u up??
i m still not convinced that the prtra will perform as the siena did as fiat has detuned the engine for performance.. is the petra available in formula red??
fasbond1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 00:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (fasbond1412 @ Nov. 16 2004,19:16)].. is the petra available in formula red??
No!!
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 01:30   #25
BANNED

thanx stratos!! i luv the formula red it juss gives impression of a ferrari!! its available in palio though!!
fasbond1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 01:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

But... i dont think.. it will suit the Petra...and secondly.. Fiat should keep that colour unique to the Palio only...cauz.. then it will loose its importance!!
Old 17th November 2004, 02:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

stratos, fiat should launch the palio 1.6 and keep that and yellow as exclusive colours along with the standard..
they will really stand out
recently was even tempted to get another palioD in formula red colour but since dad got the e class, there was no change left over but now when the new look version is launched then surely ...
cheers
lambo
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2004, 02:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ Nov. 16 2004,23:45)]fiat should launch the palio 1.6 and keep that and yellow as exclusive colours along with the standard..
Both of the colours are damm attractive and suit the car very well.