Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th November 2004, 15:56   #16
BANNED

hey GTO excellent work done...
fasbond1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 17:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that it's going to be the Walrus front, as i did see a Walrus Audi A6 at ARAI for testing purposes. I doubt that they would start with the last generation model only to facelift it in the recent future. Plus the Walrus faced Audis are quite stunning in person. Makes the last generation Audis look boring, however much we all adore their uncluttered lines.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 18:50   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] as i did see a Walrus Audi A6 at ARAI for testing purposes.
You were at the ARAI? And just the fact that you saw the A6 there means....you were there recently!!!

How? When? For what?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 19:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

This was in October, was there to attend a few paper presentations, as it was a SAE organised event. Saw quite a few vehicles there probably to be launched in the country some time in the future. Amongst the vehicles seen were:
Audi A6
Audi TT
Toyota Innova
NEW Hyundai Terracan: Slight facelift, i'm not sure if it has received any engine upgrades.
Hyundai Tucson
Bentley Continental GT
Hyundai Coupe: The facelifted coupe that was recently unveiled
Ford Fusion: Got a really good look at it, interiors too, failed to impress.
Loads of three wheelers, one-off motorcycle rickshaws, and the new vans and pickups by Premier.
The crowd puller was the Audi A6, more impressive than the TT, i must say, the facelift has done wonders.

Plan to get my college to organise a proper trip to get an indepth insight into the work done at ARAI, hopefully sometime in 2005. Sorry no pictures, the premises are under strict supervision at all times.

ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

cool life u lead there ported head...
i just love audi and the fact that it is coming here oon makes it a clincher for a merc replacement ( sadly for me that will happen after years.... )
now lets see what it is going to be ...
merc e270 vs bmw 5.30d vs audi A6 3.0 tdi
i think the diesel audi has a V6 engine and mercs gettin a V6 cdi soon .
am i right
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 05:16   #21
BANNED

audi will cum through skoda dealers
Old 16th November 2004, 08:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Good shit...The A8 is a grrr8 car i love it .... packed with features and looks gr8 too but i think at 70 lakhs i would still pick up the S-class.
The A6 at 35 lakhs would be a great package.... if they cross the 40 lakh barrier it would be harder as the e-class would give it big time competition and with merc's strong name in india it would mean problems for audi.
As for the TT at 33 Lakhs... its a Waaassttee!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2004, 16:14   #23
BANNED

hey sahil though merc has a gud reputation ppl who buy such card want different ones as the mercs have becum way cummon so the audi wont have any probs in sellin..
Old 17th November 2004, 19:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

hey guys just found this article in todays mid-day
have copy pasted it so its easier to read
the prices will vary by 2-3 laks for sure

Audi, it seems, will leave no stone unturned to make its India foray a success, including selling below cost. “We’ll sell below cost for three years, if that’s what it takes to get a market share,” says Sunil Kaul, country manager, Audi Asia Pacific.

For the German luxury car maker, India is a key market because of its potential size and the ‘relative ease’ of penetrating the very top-end of the market captured mostly by Mercedes Benz. That’s probably the reason why, in addition to Audi, Porsche too is eyeing the Indian market.

Kaul says Audi aims to sell around 250 cars a year as compared to Merc’s 2003 (calendar year) sales of around 1,587 cars.

Audi is planning to match Mercedes Benz on price in order to gain market share. “For the first three years (beginning January 2005), we’ll keep the price similar to competing Mercedes (models),” he says (see box).

“The import duty on a Merc (imported in knocked down kits and assembled in India) is 65 per cent whereas it will be 105 per cent on an Audi (imported as completely built units),” says Kaul.

The entry level Audi TT 250 hp, for instance, sells for $56,075 (approximately Rs 25 lakh) in the global market. In India, the company has pegged the car’s price at approximately Rs 35 lakh (including import duties).

Audi plans to import cars into India for the first three years before “it can look at the possibility of assembling CKD (completely knocked down) kits in India,” says Kaul.

India focus

According to Kaul, India, along with China and the Asean region are Audi’s three key markets.

“We are not present here (India). It is very important for us to be here,” he says. Since setting up base in China in 1998, Audi has sold 70,000 units there.

Though the Indian super luxury market is “still small at 2,500 units a year”, Kaul believes India has the potential to become a China in due course.

“India has a lot of rich people,” he says. His target includes the traditional Merc-driving tribe, and people who have studied abroad, experienced the Audi there and have the money to buy it here in India.

Delhi has a lot of these people, followed by Mumbai and Bangalore, says Kaul.

So, it’s no coincidence that Audi has decided to begin its India innings with dealerships at New Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore (to be appointed around mid-2005).

While Delhi will account for 45 per cent of Audi’s India sales, Mumbai and Bangalore will account for 35 per cent and 15 per cent respectively. “The balance sales will come from the rest of India,” says Kaul.

How Audi is positioning its models vs Merc
Audi A8, Rs 70 lakh
Mercedes S Class, Rs 65 lakh
Audi A6, Rs 45 lakh
Mercedes E Class, Rs 38-41 lakh
Audi TT Coupe, Rs 35 lakh
Mercedes C Class, Rs 26-30 lakh
Old 17th November 2004, 19:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

hey sahil the eclass is for 47 laks so even if audi crosses that border it wont make much off a diff.
besides, as fully imports, it will come loaded with better engines also
if im right its more comfortable than the mercs also and more driver friendly.
im sure there will be many people who want such a compromise as my sister finds the bmw uncomfortable to sit in ( M5 and X3 ) while the merc boring too drive
so i guess a car which is more entertaining to drive bigger and more comfortable and packed with more gizmos will be better over the merc while the fact that it looks better and is more comfortable and cheper will win over the bmw buyers
basides it will be new to the market but not for hardcore drivers
so i wont mind an audi oer the merc
i suggest u tell your dad to wait, see the cars and then take the plung after deciding

merc e 270 cdi on road mumbai - 47l with company reg
BMW 5.30i - 47 l mumbai on road, indiv. reg
AUDI A6 3.0tdi - approx 45 - 50l on roa mumai depending on reg
Old 17th November 2004, 19:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

btw the dealer in mumbay is island city motors
hers the other article from mid-day 9th oct 2004
enjoy

“We’d be pushing the cars among corporates, film personalities, bankers, diamond merchants, and stock brokers,” says L C Seshan, head of sales and marketing, Island City Motor.

If it succeeds, the Kumar Mangalam Birlas, the Amitabh Bachchans, the K V Kamaths, the Bharat Shahs and the Rakesh Jhunjhunwalas could be seen zooming in an Audi sooner than later.

“Seven to eight people have already made their bookings,” says Seshan, but wouldn’t name them.

The buzz is that Reliance Industries vice chairman Anil Ambani has shown “interest” in the car.

Will sales take off?

In the first year of its operation, Island City Motor is looking to sell 120-180 cars a month in Mumbai.

One will have to wait and see how many people actually choose the Audi over the Mercs, the BMWs, the Jaguars, the Porsches, and the Lexuses — cars Audi will jostle with for mind and market share.

Seshan estimates all these cars together could be selling about 2,000 units every year.

“While Mercedes produced 1,600 units in 2003, imports (BMWs, Jaguars, Porches, Audis and Lexuses), could be some 25 units a month,” he says.
Old 17th November 2004, 20:45   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ Nov. 17 2004,17:14)]The buzz is that Reliance Industries vice chairman Anil Ambani has shown “interest” in the car.
Well he has already bought one ....consideirng the Lambo's are owned and managed by Audi
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004, 00:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

i wonder if well be able to import some of these beauties - lambos
if aui comes then there will be service from their side and we will ask them for lambo too
who needs ferraris anyways .
i do nopt mean enzo