Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th September 2007, 21:42   #1
BHPian

Default RC book question !!

[Mods please move this thread to the appropriate section, sorry if I ve posted at the wrong place]

I am looking to buy this car in the next 1-2 days. I am very happy with the car & the price quoted. Its a well maintained 96 model M800 with A/C and the owner is quoting 75,000. I am kind of very desperate to buy this car asap.

Now, to my question: -

The owner claims that he is the second owner. The RC book has ONLY his name as the owner. It is mentioned that "Booklet issued on x-x-2000" (he bought the vehicle from the first owner in 2000)

When I asked him about this, he said that the original RC was just some "papers" and no "booklet" and later he applied & got a booklet from the RTO. He does not have the original papers (the RC papers of the first owner), he said he has given them to the RTO office.

Now, was it like that in the olden days? was there no Booklet and was RC just a set of papers?

The RC book which he showed me is original and there are no mentions of DRC etc.

Insurance has been renewed and it is in his name.

Tax has been paid.

He has the Original Invoice in the first owner's name.

The seller is around 55yrs old, a Ph.D and works in a college, and his wife is a Bank manager. I dont think he is trying to con me, from the profile, and they seem to be a decent family. They stay about a km from my house, so I dont think he is cheating me, but I want to clarify this before I buy the car.

Last edited by gopz : 24th September 2007 at 21:48.
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 22:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi gopz, a 96 model M800 should be having a proper RC book. I remember my uncle's 87 model M800 with proper RC book, so I dont think things were just on few sheets of paper those days, may be pre 80's, I am not sure. About the pricing part, I sold my 99 model M800 (second owner) for 73k just 1 year back. So bargain the deal again if you are serious, best condition pre-95 model should be worth for around 70k not more than that. Check the AC gas, engine, dents, damages that are not visible outside so you can find something or the other for further bargains.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 22:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

if the rto ran out of books this could happen, i had my old esteem papers 96 model (indiranagar rto registered) in paper/sheet.

just goto rto and see if the paper is in order or not, you can pay an agent 100 bucks and he will get the info in half a days time.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:59   #4
BHPian

When you first aplly to RTO they first give you a bill. They give you then RC book in 3 months generally out here. I collected mine after over a year! So maybe it is something like that. Best way would be to check at the RTO itself.
rohan_fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 10:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Hi gopz, a 96 model M800 should be having a proper RC book. I remember my uncle's 87 model M800 with proper RC book, so I dont think things were just on few sheets of paper those days, may be pre 80's, I am not sure. About the pricing part, I sold my 99 model M800 (second owner) for 73k just 1 year back. So bargain the deal again if you are serious, best condition pre-95 model should be worth for around 70k not more than that. Check the AC gas, engine, dents, damages that are not visible outside so you can find something or the other for further bargains.
Thank you Shaju..I took the car to Surakshaa, they said that approx 10k expenses would occur for total repairs (electricals, some shaft costing around Rs.2500, engine oil, gear etc) so I am negotiating with the owner. They too suggested me to buy the car as there are no accidents and bodyline is good and well maintained and the price qouted is reasonable for the condition of the car. I went to a lot of used car dealers and noted that they were selling literally junk M800's for 80-90k.

The bodyline is good, tyres are almost like new and battery is less than a year old. the reading on the odo is 75k and I belive it is not tampered (going by the profile of the seller)

Do you think 65k is a good price?
Old 25th September 2007, 10:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
if the rto ran out of books this could happen, i had my old esteem papers 96 model (indiranagar rto registered) in paper/sheet.

just goto rto and see if the paper is in order or not, you can pay an agent 100 bucks and he will get the info in half a days time.

Oh cool...this car is also '96 model and was registered in the same RTO (Indiranagar)...so it could probably be it - thanks Jaggu dada

I will try to go to the RTO and get a B-Extract today.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yep sometimes if you don't request for a RC book a paper is issued.
You can pay 100 Rs and get a RC book.
I have done the same for my Zen( Bangalore - Jaynagar RTO), City ( Chickmagalur RTO)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 18:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep sometimes if you don't request for a RC book a paper is issued.
You can pay 100 Rs and get a RC book.
I have done the same for my Zen( Bangalore - Jaynagar RTO), City ( Chickmagalur RTO)

Couldnt go to RTO today. I will go ahead and buy the car, thanks Sushrutha, I am more confident now..
Old 25th September 2007, 20:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Couldnt go to RTO today. I will go ahead and buy the car, thanks Sushrutha, I am more confident now..
Gopz, don't go through any tout there. As of now your purchase process is clean enough to deal with RTO straight.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it was transferred from a different state.
Now, would that need a new/different RC?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Maybe it was transferred from a different state.
Now, would that need a new/different RC?
No. They can endorse the same in that existing booklet.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

anyway look at it this way...why would this gentlemen come forward and say he is the second owner when the RC has only his name ? and in the process reduce the resale value of his own car...?

im sure he must be a genuine guy with this bit info...
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Gopz, don't go through any tout there. As of now your purchase process is clean enough to deal with RTO straight.

Yup... I agree with you Rudra. I am planning to take delivery of the vehicle tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.
Old 28th September 2007, 21:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
About the pricing part, I sold my 99 model M800 (second owner) for 73k just 1 year back. So bargain the deal again if you are serious, best condition pre-95 model should be worth for around 70k not more than that.
Got the car for Rs. 65,000. Now doing up the minor repairs and maybe a good coat of wax polish and then its done
Old 17th October 2010, 10:36   #15
BHPian

This is probably the best thread for this question. I sold my car last year and didn't use the no claim bonus on the new one. My new car is up for insurance renewal and I need a copy of the old car's RC book saying that transfer has actually happened. I am not able to contact the new owner and was wondering if the RTO would help me get a xerox of the old car's RC book.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote