Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Default Info on Sipani Dolphin ...

Hi!

In the eighties, I remember my uncle buying a red Sipani Dolphin (a.ka. the Renault Kitten) . The exhaust sounded beautiful, the steering wheel (with a 'R' embossed on it - probably 'Renault') and the faux-carbon fibre finish dash spelt 'sporty'. The wheels were perhaps 11 inchers (not sure..) and but the Dunlops they came in were wide enough.

Anyone still owning one in the forum - would be grateful for any ownership experiences... there's this sky blue Dolphin available for a song and I'm kinda tempted. Would it be tough restoring it?

Help!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd October 2007, 21:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Heres one. > https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...cture-754.html

Im sure Ananth can give you a lot of information.

Also, try searching for "dolphin" on TBHP if you havent already.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

R = Reliant, if only the Rover Mini wasn't envisaged! ( twenty characters)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:02   #4
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Hi!
... Sipani Dolphin (a.ka. the Renault Kitten) . The wheels were perhaps 11 inchers (not sure..) and but the Dunlops they came in were wide enough.
The wheels were 10-inch soup plate sized wheels like the British Leyland Mini.
That's a good two inches smaller than the Maruti 800's 12-inch wheel rims.

But it had a 4-cylinder aluminum 848 cc engine with a smoother idle, than the apologetic shudder of Suzuki's 3-cylinder.

The Reliant Kitten died in the UK because it could not match the Mini's pricing and the Sipani Dolphin died in India because it was more expensive than the relatively better built, Japanese-pedigreed, all-steel monocoque Maruti 800.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 00:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The Reliant Kitten died in the UK because it could not match the Mini's pricing and the Sipani Dolphin died in India because it was more expensive than the relatively better built, Japanese-pedigreed, all-steel monocoque Maruti 800.
In both the cases we lost our small rear wheel drive hatch which was loads of fun to drive!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 13:48   #6

Default DOLPHIN owner here

hiii i own a dolphin wch is white is colour the tyres whr actually>>10" dia TUBELESS frm GOODYEAR>>>made in GREAT BRITAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Hi!

In the eighties, I remember my uncle buying a red Sipani Dolphin (a.ka. the Renault Kitten) . The exhaust sounded beautiful, the steering wheel (with a 'R' embossed on it - probably 'Renault') and the faux-carbon fibre finish dash spelt 'sporty'. The wheels were perhaps 11 inchers (not sure..) and but the Dunlops they came in were wide enough.

Anyone still owning one in the forum - would be grateful for any ownership experiences... there's this sky blue Dolphin available for a song and I'm kinda tempted. Would it be tough restoring it?

Help!
shan_mohanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Its a Reliant; we used to own a 1983 stock sky blue until 1996 in Coimbatore, parts were difficult to source even at that time and we had to sell it for a measly 10 grand as we didnt have an extra parking.

Even the wheels, we had a rebuild it to keep it running until Vikram auto showed up and the wheels were an exact fit, but for its pathetic cross plies - I really hate them compared to the stock tubeless (surprise, but true) Dunlop's!

The car is fun to drive compared to the Maruti 800, it had an amazing turning radius, the wheels used to completely pop out when fully turned, it could easily squeeze itself into tight spots (I could completely swivel it into our makeshift two wheeler parking, even till date I have'nt been able to park any other car including Alto/Estilo). The brakes were pathetic though! The gear box was simply superb, the reverse gear needs to be pulled up to engage as a safety feature.

I'm sure you could source parts in Bangalore or you could buy another Dolphin as a spare slave... the exhaust note is sporty and a FFE would be super duper...
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 17:00   #8
BHPian

I made my actual driving practices in a Dolphin.

It was 1995. I had a bike, and no one in the family/relations had a car. I had license for 4 wheeler, but no chance of actually driving a car. A new colleague joins the workplace. He had a Dolphin. His mom will not allow him to have or even ride a bike, so they bought him a Dolphin.

He wanted to ride the bike, and I wanted to drive the car. Great opportunity!

Later (After I got a raise and thought I could afford the first car) I seriously considered buying a Dolphin. Then followed the advice of people I trust and bought the Fiat.

It was a nice car to drive (especially when your comparison is with the driving school's Amby. Yes, very small turning circle. Good acceleration and reasonable handling. The only problem was spares and maintenance.
DileepKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 21:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

I remember drooling over my neighbor's Dolphin (Sky Blue) and its "Burrrrr" as a kid in Nagercoil (Kanyakumari District). Wonder if he stills has it. His wife as actually my elementary Maths teacher
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 18:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Another Dolphin thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ners-here.html
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote